JetBlue TrueBlue- Be Careful With Your Points

Subscribe

In early November I came across some very important information regarding jetBlue's mileage program- TrueBlue.

I had a little over 25,000 TrueBlue points in my account (thanks to the jetBlue Amex card sign up bonus) that were going to expire on December 31. There isn't any dining or shopping program affiliated with JetBlue. I figured that I could just transfer a small amount of American Express Membership Rewards points to my TrueBlue account to extend the expiration date.

While chatting with my brother, I told him my plan to keep my TrueBlue account active. He told me that he had heard that transfering points would not help to extend my account's points from expiring!

I was totally surprised by this information. I checked online and called JetBlue. They had confirmed that what my brother had said was true.

The only ways to keep jetBlue points from expiring is:

Earn points by flying
Use your jetBlue American Express card on eligible purchases

Earning points by either of these methods must be done at least once in a 12 month period.

I wasn't looking to pay for a flight on jetBlue and I no longer had the JB Amex card so I had to get creative and use these miles before I lost them.

My original plan was to find a flight for Kim and I that would be covered by my TrueBlue miles. I searched quite a bit and didn't come up with much. I found flights from NYC to Portland, Maine or Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania but we decided against these options.

I had to start thinking of some other ideas and decided to use my points towards a trip to New Orleans for May 2013.

I booked a flight on Southwest from New York to New Orleans for 9,600 points thanks to the SW Companion Pass. For the flight home I booked the flight from New Orleans back to New York with my jetBlue points.

In the end, I still have around 4,000 TrueBlue points left. Odds are they will just expire but at least I found a good way to put most of my points to use.

This is just a friendly reminder that if you have jetBlue points expiring soon be careful. If you don't have the jetBlue Amex or plan to purchase a JB flight soon, you better start thinking about booking a flight with your points.

Use 'em or lose 'em...
Yes...paying attention to the rules of the program is a good idea.
Quote: Yes...paying attention to the rules of the program is a good idea.
Glad you agree! lol
Cool story bro.
Quote: Cool story bro.
Thank you. Hopefully it helps a few to not lose their points!
Also, please don't forget that you can donate those leftover points. https://trueblue.jetblue.com/group/trueblue/truegiving
I have TrueBlue points set to expire in June, 2013. I just want to confirm this will extend my points:

We have a family trip planned for April. I will book 3 award tickets using points for my wife and kids, but pay for my ticket (same flight). All remaining points in my account should then extend until April 2014 correct?

Thanks
I do believe you can also extend the life of your points using ShopTrue the jetBlue online store. So basic iTunes purchases or paying your cellphone bill could help.
Quote: Also, please don't forget that you can donate those leftover points. https://trueblue.jetblue.com/group/trueblue/truegiving
Great idea! I might have to do this with my remaining 4,000+ TrueBlue points.
Quote: I have TrueBlue points set to expire in June, 2013. I just want to confirm this will extend my points:

We have a family trip planned for April. I will book 3 award tickets using points for my wife and kids, but pay for my ticket (same flight). All remaining points in my account should then extend until April 2014 correct?

Thanks
As long as the points are in the account of the person booking the paid ticket, it will extend your TrueBlue account.
Quote: I do believe you can also extend the life of your points using ShopTrue the jetBlue online store. So basic iTunes purchases or paying your cellphone bill could help.
Not according to JetBlue. They told me that there are only two ways to extend your account. Using your JB Amex or purchasing a flight with them. If this was an option, I'd think they would've told me. Maybe not?
Quote: I do believe you can also extend the life of your points using ShopTrue the jetBlue online store. So basic iTunes purchases or paying your cellphone bill could help.
No. Must fly or use JetBlue Amex. That's it.
Nope.
Quote: I have TrueBlue points set to expire in June, 2013. I just want to confirm this will extend my points:

Thanks
Yup.
Quote: As long as the points are in the account of the person booking the paid ticket, it will extend your TrueBlue account.
Thanks
using points and credit on same trip
I have enough points for a r/t flight to Jacksonville for myself.. I also have $100 credit in the "bank". Can I book the trip in the same transaction for my wife and I or do I have to do it separately? thanks in advance
Quote: I have enough points for a r/t flight to Jacksonville for myself.. I also have $100 credit in the "bank". Can I book the trip in the same transaction for my wife and I or do I have to do it separately? thanks in advance
Separate transactions.
Also be careful if you were given Gratitude Points Bonus. I received 10000 due to one of their infamous delays just under a year ago. I am now told that they expire in a year regardless of the status of the account. Personally, I find this a ridiculous policy. Points are additive to an account and very different than cash. If they award an arbitrary number of points then it should be additive to my TB account and not have separate status. I don't fly JetBlue enough to gain any really advantage for another year.

Beyond the fact that they were one of the first for inflight personal entertainment, I never did get JetBlue as a FF.