Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Sign in using an external account

Old Aug 2, 12, 3:03 am   #1

Programs: UA, DL, B6, AGR, AA, US, A3
Seat Width?

I remember a while back that JetBlue was advertising that their seats were more comfortable and that they were wider than the competition. Is this actually true, or was it just a marketing ploy?

Seatguru has JetBlue's A320 seats at 17.8" wide.
United's A320 seats are 18"

So, was it a clever marketing trick comparing JetBlue's A320 seats to a Boeing 737/757 series which has 17.2" seats (due to the design of the cabin)? Or are the seats really roomier?
diburning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 12, 2:30 pm   #2

Programs: United 1K
I don't know about actual measurements but they definitely don't feel roomier than E+ seats on UA.
silent129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 12, 3:01 pm   #3

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Airbus narrow body planes are a little wider than Boeings, so typically have around an inch more seat width. IFAIK, there isn't much difference in width between different airline's 320 series, but compared to 737/757 (and 707/727), you get the extra inch.
Old Aug 2, 12, 5:00 pm   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djk7 View Post
Airbus narrow body planes are a little wider than Boeings, so typically have around an inch more seat width. IFAIK, there isn't much difference in width between different airline's 320 series, but compared to 737/757 (and 707/727), you get the extra inch.
Generally that is the case. But some airlines use the same seats on A320 planes, meaning the extra width is in the aisle.
will2288 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 12, 6:07 pm   #5

Programs: US CP, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
SeatGuru says Virgin America coach seats are 19", I am not sure how this is possible unless its measured differently.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 12, 7:29 pm   #6

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
SeatGuru says Virgin America coach seats are 19", I am not sure how this is possible unless its measured differently.
They might play with the seat cushion width, but the shoulder to shoulder width can't vary much between different airlines flying the same model airliner.
Old Aug 3, 12, 10:45 pm   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
It's an outright lie; they measured from the outside of the armrests.
audio-nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 12, 1:39 pm   #8

There are differing ways of measuring seat width and 17.8" is probably correct. UA's are of similar width and they just rounded it to 18." Most Airbus narrowbody coach seats are about 17.8" wide and most Boeing narrowbody seats are 17.2" wide. Some round those numbers to Airbus 18" and Boeing 17" but regardless, the Airbus is noticeably wider. VX is probably measuring from the outside of the armrest or something.
AADC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 12, 6:12 am   #9

Programs: UA, DL, B6, AGR, AA, US, A3
Here's an update on my question.

I flew from BOS to LAS. Rather uneventful flight. I fit into the seat just fine. The 34" pitch was great as it almost felt like I was sitting in Economy Plus/Comfort on UA/DL. The controls in the armrest left a bit to be desired as the buttons weren't always responsive. The seat recline was close to none (there literally was no difference). The headphone jacks were the worst.

On the way back, my seat did not recline at all (I told B6 and was given a $25 voucher) and the headphone jack on that seat was worse. It wasn't as bad as the guy in front of me.... he didn't even have an armrest! It was missing!
diburning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 8:03 am   #10
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is no standard for measuring seat width across the industry. Because of this the exact same seat could have different dimensions reported depending on who is doing the measuring and what they want to present. Unless someone brings a tape measure on board to compare them in a standardized way we can expect to never see useful measures.