Another view on TB elite

Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, A3 Blue (*A Silver), HHonors Gold
Another view on TB elite

There have been many threads on why an elite programme won't work with B6, because of the lack of J/F and the ethos of the airline.

I'd suggest that it could be done.

I'm slowly seeing a trend on long distance routes where what Y+ is becoming what J once was—a bigger seat in a quieter cabin with more attentive service—while J is offering the lie flat beds that were then an F benefit on only the most elaborate carriers. Meanwhile, J/F on US domestic flights is, while not a worthless benefit, not the luxury it once was.

With a few other enhancements quietly offered to their TB+ passengers, I feel that B6's Y+ could be seen as comparable for many passengers to domestic J upgrades offered by other programmes.

B6 could politely offer Even More Space/Y+ seating at no charge, but not alienate other passengers by simply announcing that they were boarding rows 1 to 5, not their SuperSilverMagicPrestige passengers and FirstYearFeeWaivedApplyNowSuperPlatinumCreditCard holders.

Even More Speed/expedited security could also be given gratis to these passengers. EMS could possibly be expanded to also include a priority counter for checking in/checking bags. TB+ passengers could be offered a second checked bag.

On flights of a certain distance, they could be offered the opportunity to request snack boxes and the pillow/blanket set at no charge at the time of booking. B6 could perhaps throw in PPV movies. Maybe offer a complimentary drink to those TB+ pax who ask for one.

There are certain passengers for whom B6 will never be able to match the lounges, international upgrades and alliance carrier benefits. But these passengers are not flying B6 anyway. B6 could however attract more domestic biz passengers by enhancing their FF programme.

Perhaps most important though is that this would not create some special, separate class of travellers. All of these benefits are available to purchase and as individual services. There would be no ostracizing boarding call, no private lounges, no special lanes or announcements or signs. TB+ passengers would be the same as those who paid for the service—except that B6 is giving it to them as a thank you.

Many B6 passengers are the type of people who don't care about faux prestige and preference, that compare their gold status to the lowly silvers. They're the type of people who choose B6 over other carriers because they're looking for a little more humanity in their air travel, and at the end of a long day would appreciate a little less waiting in line, a bit more space and perhaps a drink. A down-to-earth, subtle and low-key benefit tier that rewarded them with a few of the extras they might have bought anyway would be all they want.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Philosofaux
There have been many threads on why an elite programme won't work with B6, because of the lack of J/F and the ethos of the airline.

I'd suggest that it could be done.

I'm slowly seeing a trend on long distance routes where what Y+ is becoming what J once wasa bigger seat in a quieter cabin with more attentive servicewhile J is offering the lie flat beds that were then an F benefit on only the most elaborate carriers. Meanwhile, J/F on US domestic flights is, while not a worthless benefit, not the luxury it once was.

With a few other enhancements quietly offered to their TB+ passengers, I feel that B6's Y+ could be seen as comparable for many passengers to domestic J upgrades offered by other programmes.

B6 could politely offer Even More Space/Y+ seating at no charge, but not alienate other passengers by simply announcing that they were boarding rows 1 to 5, not their SuperSilverMagicPrestige passengers and FirstYearFeeWaivedApplyNowSuperPlatinumCreditCard holders.

Even More Speed/expedited security could also be given gratis to these passengers. EMS could possibly be expanded to also include a priority counter for checking in/checking bags. TB+ passengers could be offered a second checked bag.

On flights of a certain distance, they could be offered the opportunity to request snack boxes and the pillow/blanket set at no charge at the time of booking. B6 could perhaps throw in PPV movies. Maybe offer a complimentary drink to those TB+ pax who ask for one.

There are certain passengers for whom B6 will never be able to match the lounges, international upgrades and alliance carrier benefits. But these passengers are not flying B6 anyway. B6 could however attract more domestic biz passengers by enhancing their FF programme.

Perhaps most important though is that this would not create some special, separate class of travellers. All of these benefits are available to purchase and as individual services. There would be no ostracizing boarding call, no private lounges, no special lanes or announcements or signs. TB+ passengers would be the same as those who paid for the serviceexcept that B6 is giving it to them as a thank you.

Many B6 passengers are the type of people who don't care about faux prestige and preference, that compare their gold status to the lowly silvers. They're the type of people who choose B6 over other carriers because they're looking for a little more humanity in their air travel, and at the end of a long day would appreciate a little less waiting in line, a bit more space and perhaps a drink. A down-to-earth, subtle and low-key benefit tier that rewarded them with a few of the extras they might have bought anyway would be all they want.
I think B6 is less likely to offer free upgrades to EMS. They are making money right now on those seats, and I doubt they would want to undercut their revenue by offering free upgrades. By contrast, first on most airlines is dominated these days by elite upgrades, not paying passengers.

Things I would like to see are complementary priority security lines and priority-tagged baggage that comes off first. Things that increase speed at the airport are far more important to me than $6 freebies.

The biggest issue for B6, which they are in the process of addressing, is a lack of FF destinations.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 1:58 pm

Well for what it's worth, I think they must be looking more at UA's business model. I recently got a survey asking me how I'd like bundled elite services for a separate annual fee. I.e. what would I pay for a years worth of EMS seats/Security/Boarding etc.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, A3 Blue (*A Silver), HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by goteed1
Well for what it's worth, I think they must be looking more at UA's business model. I recently got a survey asking me how I'd like bundled elite services for a separate annual fee. I.e. what would I pay for a years worth of EMS seats/Security/Boarding etc.
Mmm, yes, I got this as well actually!
Old Jun 14, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
I'd definitely consider an annual EMS fee in 2014 when the wi-fi rollout is further along.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.