Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue Amex - worth keeping?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
JetBlue Amex - worth keeping?

My wife applied for this card last year and got a nice sign-up bonus. It's coming up for renewal and I'm trying to decide if it's worth keeping it with the annual fee. She flies JetBlue every so often, but also does DL and US. I'm not all that familiar with JetBlue since I've never flown them and not sure if any bennies outweigh the fee that's about to hit.

Anyone love/hate his card?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Moved to the B6 forum which is the primary venue for discussion of all thing JetBlue, including the credit card.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:55 pm

Long ago JetBlue points could only total as high as 100, and expired within one calendar year of their accrual. If you held and used a JetBlue AmEx those points never expired.

Now JetBlue points are a much higher denomination, and renew their shelf life one year from each time you fly or gain points. Thus that perk no longer is useful unless you fly JetBlue fewer than one time per year. (Which if that were the case, why would you want their AMEX anyway)

Also the JetBlue business card used to give you 5% back via OPEN savings on flights. This is no longer the case.

The JetBlue AmEx is sadly fairly useless.

It's only perk is on rare occasion they will declare a month or two where flashing your JetBlue Amex will get you a free cocktail once in the sky.

You would likely be much better off with the Starwood Preferred Guest AmEx which can be redeemed on many airlines for a 20% bonus.
(20K points in spending turns into 25K airline miles)
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:44 pm

+1
JetBlue AmEx is fairly useless. JetBlue points and its FFP are almost worthless. grt2106 is right about the Starwood AmEx. That's a keeper. BTW, you actually get a 25% bonus, not 20%.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:21 pm

Yeah it's a 25% bonus 20K + 25% = 25k

OR A 20% Discount.

25K minus 20% = 20K. :P

The only value TrueBlue points have is the rare occasion, like right now, where points on flights are valued at a 25% reduction. Making some $113 dollar flights available for 5,200 points. That's a deal... but only happens, again, like once if not twice a year.

I can't think of any situation where the jetBlue AMEX has value over any other AMEX card. It needs a perk that puts it ahead for TrueBlue members, and currently has none.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
This is kind of what I was thinking too. I've seen no real benefit for having this card. I think I will get her a DL Amex and cancel this one.

Thank you all for your input.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Plat, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
Agree that the JB Amex is a poor value compared to most other CC's.

I like to fly Jet Blue, but i usually fly on low fares which don't earn many points.....so the Jet Blue FF program is not very useful for me.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:31 pm

Worth keeping another year for $20? I called to cancel and they offered 6,000 points or $20 off the annual fee. Normally, I would cancel in a heartbeat, but considering my Experian credit score has taken a huge hit in the past few months (3 inquiries), I thought about keeping it for another year. CSR also mentioned that my "Member Since" membership with AmEx will end if I don't apply a for another AmEx card before cancelling this one. I didn't realize that being a continuous AmEx member mattered; she implied that being a current AmEx member will help you in scoring another AmEx card. I think that's nonsense...

What do you think???
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by Ducati
Worth keeping another year for $20? I called to cancel and they offered 6,000 points or $20 off the annual fee. Normally, I would cancel in a heartbeat, but considering my Experian credit score has taken a huge hit in the past few months (3 inquiries), I thought about keeping it for another year. CSR also mentioned that my "Member Since" membership with AmEx will end if I don't apply a for another AmEx card before cancelling this one. I didn't realize that being a continuous AmEx member mattered; she implied that being a current AmEx member will help you in scoring another AmEx card. I think that's nonsense...

What do you think???
My amex cards say member since 94, for a period between 94-98 I was an authorized use on my parents card, In about 2003 I got my first Amex of my own, which has the 94 date despite not having a card authorized user or not since 98.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
IMHO it's useless...I keep saying I'm going to cancel every year and fail to do so. The TrueBlue redemption for award travel is now a joke and I never use the card. The signup bonus was great back in the day but that's long gone. Don't really see what the major benefit is to keep this card. No comp extra speed, extra space, etc. There was the promo for the free adult bev but haven't seen that in a long time.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:29 pm

I should also add that I don't plan to fly jetblue again. Well, at least, I try not to. I don't know how negatively it'll impact my FICO. But, for $20??? I have to think about this one...
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just cancelled mine. Not worth the fee, though the 25K bonus points I got a year ago sure were nice.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Anyone else get a retention offer?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Plat, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
I cancelled my JB Amex last year.

The value in the TB program is very low for me
Old Apr 17, 2012, 7:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
If you want an AMEX, the Hilton Honors AMEX is free, period. It's a great deal basically. You accrue at a good percentage and never any blackouts on hotel rooms meaning you actually can use the points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.