Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Toddler Tantrum Gets Family Booted from JetBlue Flight.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toddler Tantrum Gets Family Booted from JetBlue Flight.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2012, 2:42 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Often1
What if the kid had been flung from her seat during a turbulent climb out and seriously injured? What if she had been flung and not injured, but had seriously injured another pax? (30-40 lb. projectile).
Excellent point-- regardless of who would be injured in this scenario, B6 would probably end up with a lawsuit in their hands.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Medication is not the solution. That has it's own risks as well and is just not the answer.

You sound pretty arrogant, sometimes things happen with kids and you have to roll with the punches. You clearly don't have kids, and that's a good thing for all of us.
Medication is the solution, it just happens to be "the pill."

You're right, sometimes things do happen with kids. Like they act up, become a safety risk, and are removed from the plane. That's part of the obligation of being a parent, dealing with consequences when "things happen."
Old Mar 10, 2012, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - Not one of the critics has come up with a solution for the Captain, other than the one he exercised.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I think we need more info before rushing to judgment. If child was squirming in seat (as parents claim) that is not a safety issue. My toddler has squirmed before and we held her down in the seat. Why couldnt the parents do that? Yes its not easy but it can be done unless you are weak (though the child will express its displeasure. The article does not report that the toddler was climbing over seats (I agree that would be unacceptable).

As a parent of 5 and 2 I sympathize but there are always ways to calm down your child except perhaps autistic. Milk does the trick, as do games etc. We also have a preflight chat to discuss behavior expectations and the consequences using incidents like this as examples.

Alas insufficient detail to say what was tried or whether the FAs just got PO'd too quickly. Too bad no video, another casualty of the nonsensicdl "electronics off" rule.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
I've heard that if the kid had been having a tantrum while seated and belted in it wouldn't have been a problem. It was the fact that the kid was running up and down the aisle. No airline lets adults wander the aisle during taxi, so why should a kid be able to do it?

Last edited by wiredboy10003; Mar 11, 2012 at 8:31 am Reason: clarity
Old Mar 11, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
+1 - Not one of the critics has come up with a solution for the Captain, other than the one he exercised.
Agreed!

That the family spent $2,000 on overnight accommodations has to be complete bs, too!

As someone that has to travel every week for work, I (and I'm sure many others on this board) get stressed enough when we're stuck next to a screaming/crying kid on a 2-5 hour flight. I love the explanation that it's not the parents fault, though. If that's the case, then who is responsible? It makes everyone on the plane on-edge and stressed out and we all have our own problems. I'm glad that JetBlue did this--maybe now parents will come on-board with the expectation that they need to control their kids...or else!
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by moulder3
Agreed!

That the family spent $2,000 on overnight accommodations has to be complete bs, too!

As someone that has to travel every week for work, I (and I'm sure many others on this board) get stressed enough when we're stuck next to a screaming/crying kid on a 2-5 hour flight. I love the explanation that it's not the parents fault, though. If that's the case, then who is responsible? It makes everyone on the plane on-edge and stressed out and we all have our own problems. I'm glad that JetBlue did this--maybe now parents will come on-board with the expectation that they need to control their kids...or else!
What happens when the aircraft has to wait, the crew times out an an entire aircraft full of people are stuck overnighting overeas. Some people might actually have jobs and work to return to.

In the end, at worst, this decision inconvenienced one family and the rest presumably got home OK.

This isn't about temper tantrums. Those are part of life. This is about safety of pax.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by jiejie
I don't feel sorry for the parents at all. This was non-essential pleasure travel. Not medical, not emergency bereavement, not moving overseas where no other option exists. These parents chose to chance traveling to a flight-required destination with a toddler, they get to suffer the consequences of their poor decision making. Good for Jet Blue.

Mother was a pediatrician, she of all people should know about the wonders of medication/sedation. Or next time, take a holiday they can drive to in their own private car. Spare the rest of society from the brat. Parents are beginning to reap what they have sown, as the traveling public is beginning to push back and push hard.
That info makes it even more interesting. I agree that had it been a 35 year old they wouldn't have tolerated it. Safety is safety. What about all the other passengers? Must the majority suffer?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:54 am

Other articles online has additional information....

-The toddler wanted to be held by her mom, but since she just turned 2, she had to be in her own seat. She was not running up and down the aisle
-The parents got her safely buckled into the seat

I don't think any of us were there to witness the event, so we don't know for sure. However, they did have the toddler safely buckled into the seat.

I think those who don't have kids, or those with kids who are always well-behaved, will never understand, and will applaud JetBlue for their actions. But those who have kids and been in these situations will find this event horrifying.

JetBlue could've turned this into a positive event, showing the public that they are a family friendly company. But for some odd reason they took the opposite stance. They will win some fans, but will lose some for sure....

Last edited by KatanaPilot; Mar 11, 2012 at 11:55 am Reason: Edited for typo
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Medication is the solution, it just happens to be "the pill."

You're right, sometimes things do happen with kids. Like they act up, become a safety risk, and are removed from the plane. That's part of the obligation of being a parent, dealing with consequences when "things happen."
I've seen adults throw temper tantrums and be removed from airplanes in my time. I don't think it's just kids. The kids are not a safety risk in most cases, that's just plain bull$hit and you know it.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
I've seen adults throw temper tantrums and be removed from airplanes in my time. I don't think it's just kids. The kids are not a safety risk in most cases, that's just plain bull$hit and you know it.
I never said it was just kids. My point is if we're removing adults from the plane these days for totally asinine, minor things, then to not do so for children screams of age discrimination. Thus, my point that just because the kid is 2 doesn't excuse them from following the rules.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:11 am

After reading the article, this is the quote that explained it to me:

"We were holding them down with all of our might, seat belt on. And I said, 'We have them seated. Can we go now?" Colette, a pediatrician, told Rhode Island's NBC 10.

I do not think this is a tantrum that was under control. This was two parents holding the children down with all of their might. I think the pilot was correct.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:52 am

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/tod...03604#46703604
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:06 am

Get your snarling brat off my flight...and stay off!

Saw them on the TV in the gym; all cherubic blonde kids with no hint of the tiny terror these brats were, parents blissfully clueless as to WHY US?

Shameless attitude; shameful behavior.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (thanks to SPG), AA Life Gold, UA Life Gold
Originally Posted by volvo99
Get your snarling brat off my flight...and stay off!

Saw them on the TV in the gym; all cherubic blonde kids with no hint of the tiny terror these brats were, parents blissfully clueless as to WHY US?

Shameless attitude; shameful behavior.
Without going too far off topic, we've seen this all around us: restaurants, grocery store, the mall, etc. etc. Society has become very lax and overly tolerant with little monsters who are not made to behave and are allowed to get away with their tantrums because the parents ignore it or give in. I've witnessed on more than one occasion a parent giving in to buying candy or a toy because the kid was screaming and they wanted to take the easy out and shut them up. That's the wrong way to do it! Hello??!! IF they behave and show some manners in public THEN YOU REWARD THEM, however, they should understand that the expectation is that they show manners at all times.

Now, some of you will jump on the "you don't have kids" statement with me. Well, you're wrong. I've got two that are now 26 and 24 and they traveled from the age of 4 months onward. Did they cry on the plane as a baby--yes, but they were controlled with a pacifier, games, Cheerios, etc., it is not hard. They traveled in business class once they were old enough (around 11 or so) and were better behaved than many of the adults.

It's all a matter of how you bring up the child and set the proper boundaries and expectations of their behavior. Once they are taught that properly they will follow the guidelines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.