Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Why are the JFK-SJU fares for Christmas travel much higher than last year?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2011, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

I was in shock yesterday when checking the fares for the JFK-SJU route for travel around Christmas time. I always look to book my holiday travel before Labor Day as for some reason after that holiday weekend people wake up and realize that Christmas travel is just around the corner and start booking their flights.

The B6 fares for Christmas travel are between $900-$1,100 this year and last year when looking to book during the middle of August for holiday travel they were in the $600-$700 range. We all know that B6 has the most daily N/S flights on this route followed by AA and therefore the most seats available.

Is there any logic to these high prices besides the fact that they feel they have a captive audience and can milk this cash cow?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given that jet fuel has averaged $3/gal so far this year, airlines are hurting, and I can't blame them for attempting to pass along the costs of flying to the consumers.

As much as the airlines could use the money, I doubt that they will be able to hold the line on fares and I expect some holiday discounts in the coming weeks.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 5:25 pm

The fares are really high !

Jet Blue owns this route (and SJU airport) now that American has pulled back.

American has not opened up any low priced AAdvantage seats from December 14-December 31st. Not one coach seat or business seat.

That is quite a long "black-out" period.

After giving up on getting a saver award I started checking Jet Blue.

Finally went to the dark side and bought a ticket from EWR to BQN on
Continental. It was just when the taxes were not being charged.

I got a fare one way for $128 all in. Had to be a mistake but it is ticketed.

Since I am Life-time PLT on AA it does give me the freedom to shop around.

It's only one flight but I will miss AA and JFK.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Given that jet fuel has averaged $3/gal so far this year
That was until a month ago. Since then, the market and oil crashed while the economy is headed for recession as soon as September.

As much as the airlines could use the money, I doubt that they will be able to hold the line on fares and I expect some holiday discounts in the coming weeks.
Probably. IMHO, unemployed, impoverished, underwater, tapped-out, bankrupt US consumers cannot afford $1000+ vacations to SJU.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
That was until a month ago. Since then, the market and oil crashed while the economy is headed for recession as soon as September.

Probably. IMHO, unemployed, impoverished, underwater, tapped-out, bankrupt US consumers cannot afford $1000+ vacations to SJU.
Maybe the market has crashed but the fares haven't.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not exactly. Crude prices have indeed crashed, but the spot price for jetA on Aug 16, 2011, was still $3.006/gal, according to the US EIA:

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/Lea...F4_RGC_DPG&f=D

Most airlines have paid an average of $3/gal (or more) so far this year, just as my original post indicated and several airlines have forecast an average price of $3/gal for the full year. Part of the blame falls on hedging strategies that contain fairly high floor prices which will insulate airlines from the full benefit of price drops.

Completely agree. Even during healthy expansionary economies, sometimes it's better to not purchase discount fares months and months in advance, but instead to wait until several weeks prior to departure. With the economy still in the toilet (and likely to get worse before it gets better), I'd wait to buy holiday tickets.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Not exactly. Crude prices have indeed crashed, but the spot price for jetA on Aug 16, 2011, was still $3.006/gal, according to the US EIA:

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/Lea...F4_RGC_DPG&f=D

Most airlines have paid an average of $3/gal (or more) so far this year, just as my original post indicated and several airlines have forecast an average price of $3/gal for the full year.
Are you implying there is price gouging in the jet fuel market?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:46 am

B6 fares are always crazy high on holiday weekends. Since my Dad owns a small business, they only travel during holidays --- JetBlue is normally 3x the other mainline carriers, and 4x their usual fares.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PlateMan
B6 fares are always crazy high on holiday weekends. Since my Dad owns a small business, they only travel during holidays --- JetBlue is normally 3x the other mainline carriers, and 4x their usual fares.
Where are you getting this 3x fare number from? AA and DL are both in the mid $800 range for the same travel dates that B6 is charging a little over $1000.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
Where are you getting this 3x fare number from? AA and DL are both in the mid $800 range for the same travel dates that B6 is charging a little over $1000.
I typically book far in advance. Yes, B6 is not selling that early, but we booked on AA/DL for literally about 3x less than B6 pricing.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 6:35 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
As of August, all fares were quite high, presumably due to fuel prices. I've seen some extreme discounts over the last 5 weeks or so after oil prices dipped into the mid $80's.

I book most of my travel on Southwest, where I can re-fare downward and keep the difference for future use. The lowest fare tends to be 8 to 12 weeks before travel unless fuel costs change dramatically. On some other airlines you can get a cheap seat far in advance, but I believe other airlines are beginning to copy Southwest's tactic of not offering the lowest fares until closer to travel date, reducing the fuel cost uncertainty for the airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.