Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happened to Jetblue fares?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2011, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

What happened to Jetblue fares?

I was shopping for airfares for my Dad to visit. Newark to Orlando route usually through Jetblue. My father is a nervous flyer without much patience so I usually book the earliest flight of the day on a Saturday to hopefully avoid traffic and delays. Was I in for a shock when I priced Jetblue's Flight number 517 which depars EWR at 8am. Why is the earliest flight of the day so expensive? $396 one way! Is this the most popular time to fly now. Seems like an admission from the airline that flying out of Newark airport is just a delay waiting to happen. Guess I am in for some price research.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP doesn't provide any detail such as how far out he is looking. But, all carriers price based on demand and using sophisticated software which uses past experience to predict future sales.

Could be anything from a large group having bought a block of tix, to a close-in flight, to a popular time.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

What happened to Jetblue fares

I was looking in November (before Thanksgiving) and December (before Christmas). The first flight of the day in some cases is double the fare of other times. The trend seems to be the later afternoon flights are a little less costly. Unfortunately Newark airport being one of the worst airports in the country in regards to on time departures we have always felt you had a better shot leaving on time earlier in the day.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 11:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
joesupra-

Welcome to the FlyerTalk and the TalkBoard forum!
Interesting place for a first post.

Any Talk Board members fly Jet Blue?
Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:57 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Thread moved to the dedicated JetBlue forum for more responses.

Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Sep 6, 2011, 6:45 am
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Going with the "supply and demand" statement others have made, this flight probably had lower fares when they were first released, but as people (knowing Newark is delay-prone) booked the early flight, all cheaper seats got sold. Remember, just because a flight says the fare is $149 each way doesn't mean there are 100 seats at this price....likely there are only 10 or possibly less.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by djs
Going with the "supply and demand" statement others have made, this flight probably had lower fares when they were first released,...
Not likely, actually.

JetBlue (and many other airlines) often start with somewhat higher fares when the schedule first opens up based on the theory that anyone shopping that far ahead likely has very specific needs and lacks flexibility and will pay the premium. Only after they see how many seats they can sell at the higher prices will they open up some cheap seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.