Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 24, 11, 3:36 pm   #1
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3
Hurricane Irene

I am flying from JFK Sunday night at 9 pm back to the West coast and was wondering how Hurricane Irene will be impacting my flight. Should I just continue with my itinerary as planned or contact JetBlue to see if they can change my flight? What is the likelihood I'll be stuck in NYC? What's JetBlue's usual protocol for weather-related cancellations?

Thanks in advance!
xeun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 11, 8:13 am   #2
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeun View Post
I am flying from JFK Sunday night at 9 pm back to the West coast and was wondering how Hurricane Irene will be impacting my flight. Should I just continue with my itinerary as planned or contact JetBlue to see if they can change my flight? What is the likelihood I'll be stuck in NYC? What's JetBlue's usual protocol for weather-related cancellations?

Thanks in advance!
Sounds like you should be fine for now.
jj1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 11, 2:15 pm   #3
 
Join Date: May 2004
Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
Sounds like you should be fine for now.
Huh? Only if xeun's goal is to be stuck in NYC. Current predictions put the center of Irene in the NYC area at that time.
You want to go where? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 11, 4:10 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by You want to go where? View Post
Huh? Only if xeun's goal is to be stuck in NYC. Current predictions put the center of Irene in the NYC area at that time.
Sorry, for some reason I read Monday. I would call and move the flight up as early as possible, I hear that if the storm hits at high tide the runways could flood at JFK
jj1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 11, 6:51 pm   #5
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: new york
Programs: trueblue ,onepass, skymiles, hilton honors silver
Posts: 892
Move up the flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
Sorry, for some reason I read Monday. I would call and move the flight up as early as possible, I hear that if the storm hits at high tide the runways could flood at JFK
I would move up the flight to Saturday afternoon if possible. I suspect they may be moving planes out of JFK for the storm .
__________________
My flight memory - http://my.flightmemory.com/bmg42000
bmg42000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 11, 8:40 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: new york, ny
Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Posts: 2,056
So you experts. I've got a transcon flight out of JFK around 6:30pm on Saturday. At that time the storm should be off the NC coast. I have no idea how far in advance of the storm that the effects are felt. Do you feel that flights will be going out of JFK still early on Saturday evening?
hughw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 11, 10:37 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SMF - N. California
Programs: LH SEN, SOUTHWEST A-LIST, HH GOLD, SPG GOLD, AA EXEC PLAT
Posts: 1,853
I am planning on taking the red eye from SMF to JFK Sunday night, arriving Monday morning. Would things clear up by then ?
CommittedLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 11, 3:17 am   #8
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker View Post
I am planning on taking the red eye from SMF to JFK Sunday night, arriving Monday morning. Would things clear up by then ?
No. In fact that flight has already been cancelled.
audio-nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 11, 10:48 am   #9
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 2,103
We've already cancelled 800 flights for SAT/SUN/MON so keep your eye on things if you are traveling. We will also be moving some 50 aircraft that normally RON in JFK and BOS to cities that won't be affected by the storm.
__________________
comments by JetBlueFA are his Opinions. They are NOT the Views or Policy of JetBlue Airways My Flight Diary
JetBlueFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 11, 11:22 am   #10
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: BAEC Blue, HHonors Silver
Posts: 36
That's a pretty definitive answer from JetBlueFA, and is in line historically.

Personally, we moved our Sunday JFK-PUJ flight to Monday (Sat was not available), but I'm concerned flooding at JFK and throughout NYC may pose problems on Monday.

Hopefully the storm passes Sunday afternoon as expected and we can start cleaning up asap. NYC commerce is almost as irresistible a force as nature... almost...

stay safe everyone
bomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 11, 2:38 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS
Programs: AS MVP, DL Silver
Posts: 7,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlueFA View Post
We've already cancelled 800 flights for SAT/SUN/MON so keep your eye on things if you are traveling. We will also be moving some 50 aircraft that normally RON in JFK and BOS to cities that won't be affected by the storm.
Restarting the normal schedule will also take time. Expect nothing to be normal by Monday. It may take until Wednesday for everything to be business-as-usual. And I am not even contemplating what would happen if JFK is destroyed.
dieuwer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 11, 2:55 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SLC
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 191
My wife works res for Jetblue.

Very bad things happening in JFK. I wouldn't count on anything from Saturday midday on.

Good luck.
JDErickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 11, 7:27 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Utah
Programs: TrueBlue
Posts: 69
We just got an email saying they're shutting down operations at JFK at 10am Sat, and no later than 10pm Sat for Boston. This is due to MTA closing public transport.
LiaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 11, 2:29 am   #14
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SMF - N. California
Programs: LH SEN, SOUTHWEST A-LIST, HH GOLD, SPG GOLD, AA EXEC PLAT
Posts: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio-nut View Post
No. In fact that flight has already been cancelled.
Yes, thanks. I got an email from them.

I understand that weather disrupts things, but JetBlue should offer pax with canceled flights the option to get a refund online, rather than having to call repeatedly and wait for 1-2 hours to get through to claim a refund via a phone rep.

(Still on the phone with them for 1+ hour and it's now 1230 am). They were so backed up during the day that their phone system wouldn't allow me to even hold.

JetBlue booked me on their own on 9/2 from SMF-JFK, which won't work for me. The only option I have to cancel this new itinerary online is to take a credit, less a $100 fee.

Poor customer service, IMO.
CommittedLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 11, 6:36 am   #15
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Posts: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker View Post
Yes, thanks. I got an email from them.

I understand that weather disrupts things, but JetBlue should offer pax with canceled flights the option to get a refund online, rather than having to call repeatedly and wait for 1-2 hours to get through to claim a refund via a phone rep.

(Still on the phone with them for 1+ hour and it's now 1230 am). They were so backed up during the day that their phone system wouldn't allow me to even hold.

JetBlue booked me on their own on 9/2 from SMF-JFK, which won't work for me. The only option I have to cancel this new itinerary online is to take a credit, less a $100 fee.

Poor customer service, IMO.
If your original itinerary was changed by the airline, can't you change it again with no fee?
Out of my Element is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 4:21 pm.