Hurricane Irene

Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Hurricane Irene

I am flying from JFK Sunday night at 9 pm back to the West coast and was wondering how Hurricane Irene will be impacting my flight. Should I just continue with my itinerary as planned or contact JetBlue to see if they can change my flight? What is the likelihood I'll be stuck in NYC? What's JetBlue's usual protocol for weather-related cancellations?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by xeun
I am flying from JFK Sunday night at 9 pm back to the West coast and was wondering how Hurricane Irene will be impacting my flight. Should I just continue with my itinerary as planned or contact JetBlue to see if they can change my flight? What is the likelihood I'll be stuck in NYC? What's JetBlue's usual protocol for weather-related cancellations?

Thanks in advance!
Sounds like you should be fine for now.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by jj1987
Sounds like you should be fine for now.
Huh? Only if xeun's goal is to be stuck in NYC. Current predictions put the center of Irene in the NYC area at that time.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Huh? Only if xeun's goal is to be stuck in NYC. Current predictions put the center of Irene in the NYC area at that time.
Sorry, for some reason I read Monday. I would call and move the flight up as early as possible, I hear that if the storm hits at high tide the runways could flood at JFK
Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
Move up the flight

Originally Posted by jj1987
Sorry, for some reason I read Monday. I would call and move the flight up as early as possible, I hear that if the storm hits at high tide the runways could flood at JFK
I would move up the flight to Saturday afternoon if possible. I suspect they may be moving planes out of JFK for the storm .
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
So you experts. I've got a transcon flight out of JFK around 6:30pm on Saturday. At that time the storm should be off the NC coast. I have no idea how far in advance of the storm that the effects are felt. Do you feel that flights will be going out of JFK still early on Saturday evening?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:37 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, AA EXEC PLAT,HH GOLD, BONVOY GOLD
I am planning on taking the red eye from SMF to JFK Sunday night, arriving Monday morning. Would things clear up by then ?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
I am planning on taking the red eye from SMF to JFK Sunday night, arriving Monday morning. Would things clear up by then ?
No. In fact that flight has already been cancelled.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
We've already cancelled 800 flights for SAT/SUN/MON so keep your eye on things if you are traveling. We will also be moving some 50 aircraft that normally RON in JFK and BOS to cities that won't be affected by the storm.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:22 am

That's a pretty definitive answer from JetBlueFA, and is in line historically.

Personally, we moved our Sunday JFK-PUJ flight to Monday (Sat was not available), but I'm concerned flooding at JFK and throughout NYC may pose problems on Monday.

Hopefully the storm passes Sunday afternoon as expected and we can start cleaning up asap. NYC commerce is almost as irresistible a force as nature... almost...

stay safe everyone
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JetBlueFA
We've already cancelled 800 flights for SAT/SUN/MON so keep your eye on things if you are traveling. We will also be moving some 50 aircraft that normally RON in JFK and BOS to cities that won't be affected by the storm.
Restarting the normal schedule will also take time. Expect nothing to be normal by Monday. It may take until Wednesday for everything to be business-as-usual. And I am not even contemplating what would happen if JFK is destroyed.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL DM
My wife works res for Jetblue.

Very bad things happening in JFK. I wouldn't count on anything from Saturday midday on.

Good luck.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 6:27 pm

Programs: TrueBlue
We just got an email saying they're shutting down operations at JFK at 10am Sat, and no later than 10pm Sat for Boston. This is due to MTA closing public transport.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 1:29 am

Programs: SQ PPS, AA EXEC PLAT,HH GOLD, BONVOY GOLD
Originally Posted by audio-nut
No. In fact that flight has already been cancelled.
Yes, thanks. I got an email from them.

I understand that weather disrupts things, but JetBlue should offer pax with canceled flights the option to get a refund online, rather than having to call repeatedly and wait for 1-2 hours to get through to claim a refund via a phone rep.

(Still on the phone with them for 1+ hour and it's now 1230 am). They were so backed up during the day that their phone system wouldn't allow me to even hold.

JetBlue booked me on their own on 9/2 from SMF-JFK, which won't work for me. The only option I have to cancel this new itinerary online is to take a credit, less a $100 fee.

Poor customer service, IMO.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 5:36 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
Yes, thanks. I got an email from them.

I understand that weather disrupts things, but JetBlue should offer pax with canceled flights the option to get a refund online, rather than having to call repeatedly and wait for 1-2 hours to get through to claim a refund via a phone rep.

(Still on the phone with them for 1+ hour and it's now 1230 am). They were so backed up during the day that their phone system wouldn't allow me to even hold.

JetBlue booked me on their own on 9/2 from SMF-JFK, which won't work for me. The only option I have to cancel this new itinerary online is to take a credit, less a $100 fee.

Poor customer service, IMO.
If your original itinerary was changed by the airline, can't you change it again with no fee?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.