Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Questions... questions... new to Blue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2011, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Million Miler, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat

Hello! I am a regular US Air / Alaska flyer who may be moving a lot of my travel over to Jet Blue, as such I had a few questions regarding the differences in the JB experience. I'd be most grateful for any input.

1. As I understand it there is no status program similar to other airlines, you earn points toward free trips etc but there are no actual tiers that lead to upgrades and bonues etc, is that correct?

2. As a follow on to #1 I understand JB is in essence a single class cabin, there is no first class? Details below on "premium seats".

3. I have read about the premium seats with extra leg room etc but I could not find much detail on the web site. Is it possible to determine which flights feature these choice seats and what the costs are to purchase them?

4. I would be travelling the BOS-PDX route so probably a 6h flight, is it reasonable to assume that JB would support this with aircraft that provide the select seat option etc?

5. Service - is the cabin service roughly the same as other domestic carriers? i.e. free soft drinks etc but meals available at a cost? How are the meal choices etc?

6. Is there any priority option at security? I am used to being able to use the priority lane at security, is there any such option with JB?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Chris.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 1:31 pm
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by ukchris
Hello! I am a regular US Air / Alaska flyer who may be moving a lot of my travel over to Jet Blue, as such I had a few questions regarding the differences in the JB experience. I'd be most grateful for any input.

1. As I understand it there is no status program similar to other airlines, you earn points toward free trips etc but there are no actual tiers that lead to upgrades and bonues etc, is that correct?

You do earn points, I believe it's similar to Southwest in that the points are based on the amount you paid for your ticket.

2. As a follow on to #1 I understand JB is in essence a single class cabin, there is no first class? Details below on "premium seats".

All coach seating, some rows have more leg room than others.

3. I have read about the premium seats with extra leg room etc but I could not find much detail on the web site. Is it possible to determine which flights feature these choice seats and what the costs are to purchase them?

On Airbus A320 aircraft, Even More Space is available in rows 1 through 5 and row 10 and row 11. Rows 10 and 11 are emergency exit rows. Due to the proximity of the exit rows, seats 10A and 10F do not recline. On our Embraer 190, Even More Space is available in row 1 and row 12. Row 12 is an emergency exit row. Even More Space info.

4. I would be travelling the BOS-PDX route so probably a 6h flight, is it reasonable to assume that JB would support this with aircraft that provide the select seat option etc?

Likely that BOS-PDX would be on a 320 as I don't think the E190 has the range to make that flight.

5. Service - is the cabin service roughly the same as other domestic carriers? i.e. free soft drinks etc but meals available at a cost? How are the meal choices etc?

Free soft drinks/snacks, no meals on JetBlue flights.

6. Is there any priority option at security? I am used to being able to use the priority lane at security, is there any such option with JB?

If you purchase the "Even More Space" option described above, you will be able to have a priority lane. This is a new feature and may not be available at all airports.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Chris.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Million Miler, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat
Wow - thanks djs, just what I needed!

I noted that with an "Extra Space" seat you get priority boarding, am I correct in assuming this only applies to boarding, not to any priority lines at security?
Old Jul 5, 2011, 1:55 pm
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
It gets you priority boarding, and in the near future will get you priority security lines.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Wow - thanks djs, just what I needed!

I noted that with an "Extra Space" seat you get priority boarding, am I correct in assuming this only applies to boarding, not to any priority lines at security?
It's all one package-- so Extra Space comes with priority security, early boarding, and extra legroom.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Points are earnt based on fare paid. You earn 3 points per dollar spent. That doubles if you buy at jetblue.com. The points can be redeemed for flights based on a dollar-value metric that currently is tracking from $0.0105-$0.0155/point.

There is going to be some sort of recognition program for higher value customers in the near future and there is some speculation on what that will include but the details are pretty vague at this time.
Correct. The EMS (nee EML) seats are extra legroom but not extra width or food options.

All flights feature the EML seats but I find it is rarely worth it on the E90 flights. I just take a seat in row 21 and I get 33" pitch and boarding pretty early on in the process. On the A320s I also don't buy it as 34" pitch is plenty for me but if you want it, go for it.

The pricing is variable based on the route and demand. Even on the same flight the price can vary as more EML seats get assigned, for example.
This will be on the A320 and, as noted above, all aircraft have the seats.
There are snack boxes available for purchase but no hot food options as there are no ovens in the galleys. There are also free sodas and six free snack options of which you can have as many as you want. I've done several transcons on a steady supply of animal crackers and mini chocolate chip cookies.
It was just announced at 15 airports. There is a live thread about it on the main page and more coverage here as well. As of right now it is only available with the ELR seats. That might change in the future though.

Originally Posted by djs
It gets you priority boarding, and in the near future will get you priority security lines.
The "speed" benefit is live now in 14 of the 15 announced cities. Only Boston is still pending due to the construction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.