jetBlue Midwest hub?

Old Dec 13, 2016, 12:14 pm

Id go with Vegas. More O-D traffic, and US Airways killed their hub there. Now its just an Allegient hub
Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Vegas is also not in the middle of the country and is a bad place to connect passengers through. It is very price-sensitive for most passengers meaning lower yields (hence Allegiant's success there). Not at all the type of market JetBlue likes to get in.

Today's analyst briefing reiterated that the company really, really, really likes O/D pax and not connecting flow. To me that means minimal chance of a mid-west hub any time soon. Greater presence, yes. But not a hub.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Vegas is also not in the middle of the country and is a bad place to connect passengers through. It is very price-sensitive for most passengers meaning lower yields (hence Allegiant's success there). Not at all the type of market JetBlue likes to get in.
Yes.

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
Id go with Vegas. More O-D traffic, and US Airways killed their hub there. Now its just an Allegient hub
And don't forget WN...
Old Jan 1, 2017, 2:35 am
Suspended

Well as a Chicago resident, I really wish B6 would invade O'Hare and kick the nasty American and United airlines the hell out.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Jeffmiyagi
Well as a Chicago resident, I really wish B6 would invade O'Hare and kick the nasty American and United airlines the hell out.
As another Chicago resident I would like B6 to have more utility out of here, but it has no earthly motive to take on two legacies at once at ORD when the vacancies elsewhere in the Midwest, cited in this thread seven years ago, still exist. B6 could own CMH, STL, CVG, CLE, MCI, etc. tomorrow without a fight if it wanted to.

If you live in the northern half of the US, are standing anywhere west of New Jersey, and want to travel anywhere further west than that, JetBlue has nothing much for you. I would like to see that addressed.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
I just don't see it as a priority. MEX slots will be available soon, LGB city council will decide in a couple weeks whether or not to allow international service, FLL and BOS will be growing from a position of strength. Mint will be greatly expanded. After that comes growth to Europe and the Southern part of the Americas. Given the limited aircraft deliveries there may be adds to new cities but a Midwest hub would be a money loser. ORD does not have the space for B6 to add lots of flights and you can't compete offering only a handful of flights. There are bigger, more profitable fish to fry.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
I just don't see it as a priority. MEX slots will be available soon, LGB city council will decide in a couple weeks whether or not to allow international service, FLL and BOS will be growing from a position of strength. Mint will be greatly expanded. After that comes growth to Europe and the Southern part of the Americas. Given the limited aircraft deliveries there may be adds to new cities but a Midwest hub would be a money loser. ORD does not have the space for B6 to add lots of flights and you can't compete offering only a handful of flights. There are bigger, more profitable fish to fry.
All entirely true. The Midwest may be an underserved, high-potential market, but not one B6 is really built to exploit.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
I would be interested in seeing B6 move into another abandoned US hub: PIT. There's a lot of unused capacity there.

I'm not sure of the O/D market would support it, but NYC to PIT nonstop is currently an expensive ticket for that distance.

There's a rumor that WN is considering expanding there.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by AMflier
I would be interested in seeing B6 move into another abandoned US hub: PIT. There's a lot of unused capacity there.

I'm not sure of the O/D market would support it, but NYC to PIT nonstop is currently an expensive ticket for that distance.
That route was previously served by JetBlue. It was dropped in February 2012, I believe. http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...ights/1732595/
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
Do they plan on using one of those abandoned terminals at MCI or STL?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
BOS-MEX?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AMflier
Only 275 nautical miles from NYC, too close to warrant setting up an alternate hub / transfer center, and too little O / D traffic. Nice facility though, tragic how underutilized it is.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
Only 275 nautical miles from NYC, too close to warrant setting up an alternate hub / transfer center, and too little O / D traffic. Nice facility though, tragic how underutilized it is.
JetBlue is mostly focused on O/D anyways so thinking about transfer pax is not so useful. Pittsburgh is growing; I do wonder if a mini-focus like AUS could be viable. Add service to MCO/FLL/AUS to start. I know there is competition in those markets but it could be interesting to model.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
JetBlue is mostly focused on O/D anyways so thinking about transfer pax is not so useful. Pittsburgh is growing; I do wonder if a mini-focus like AUS could be viable. Add service to MCO/FLL/AUS to start. I know there is competition in those markets but it could be interesting to model.
It actually does make me wonder why Jetblue doesn't focus a little more on AUS, which is really growing with a lot of businesses. They've had a chance to do it for a while now and there is still only 2 flights a day there from JFK.

Let's see what happens with the LGB vote and MEX slots.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.