Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Is there time to clear NRT immigrations and get back to my flight......

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2008, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold

.........normally I know immigrations at NRT is an hour wait (if I am lucky). A colleague of mine recently told me that immigrations at NRT had gotten smoother and was a bit quicker now. I have not been through NRT since August.

On April 12 I'm flying UA 882 from ICN to NRT, in F, arriving at NRT at 2:25pm. The continuation of US 822 departs NRT for ORD at 4:40pm. I'd like to clear immigrations and grab something from one of the toy shops on the land-side for one of my kids (there is a store there with Thomas The Tank Engine items that I can't find anywhere else) then get back to my seat on UA 822 so I can head home.

At this time of day will I be able to do this? I have cut it close transiting from an NW flight to another NW flight down to HKG, and I had four hours with that connection.

Opinions and educated guesses are welcome!

Thanks

-Fish
Old Feb 28, 2008, 6:41 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I don't think you have enough time.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely a bit on the tight side. I would say if your flight gets in way early you should give it a try, but otherwise I wouldn't do it.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 6:52 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
My longest wait to enter Japan at NRT was about 10 minutes. And my longest wait to leave was maybe 18 minutes.

If the incoming plane is on time and the OP runs from the plane like I do, there should be time for shopping, a tasty cold beer, and a shower!
Old Feb 28, 2008, 6:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

okay, here's another data point

Originally Posted by roberto99
My longest wait to enter Japan at NRT was about 10 minutes. And my longest wait to leave was maybe 18 minutes.
My longest wait to enter Japan at NRT (as a US citizen) was ~45 min, due to a combination of military contractors and South Korean schoolkids. My longest wait to leave Japan was ~30 minutes.

With such a short connection time, I wonder if immigration would even clear you?
Old Feb 28, 2008, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by roberto99

If the incoming plane is on time and the OP runs from the plane like I do, there should be time for shopping, a tasty cold beer, and a shower!

Have gone thru immigration at NRT many times upon transfer. I would say my longest wait at arrival immigration was an hour and my shortest wait was 0 min. It really depends on time and date of arrival. If you arrive at busy hours around 4pm duing holiday season, it can take more than an hour possibly. Departure immigration has never taken more than 30 min IIRC.

Originally Posted by izzik
My longest wait to enter Japan at NRT (as a US citizen) was ~45 min, due to a combination of military contractors and South Korean schoolkids. My longest wait to leave Japan was ~30 minutes.

With such a short connection time, I wonder if immigration would even clear you?

They would. In fact, they would not even blink their eyes at all. It's your choice to miss flight or not.

Originally Posted by sefrischling
.........normally I know immigrations at NRT is an hour wait (if I am lucky). A colleague of mine recently told me that immigrations at NRT had gotten smoother and was a bit quicker now. I have not been through NRT since August.

On April 12 I'm flying UA 882 from ICN to NRT, in F, arriving at NRT at 2:25pm. The continuation of US 822 departs NRT for ORD at 4:40pm. I'd like to clear immigrations and grab something from one of the toy shops on the land-side for one of my kids (there is a store there with Thomas The Tank Engine items that I can't find anywhere else) then get back to my seat on UA 822 so I can head home.

At this time of day will I be able to do this? I have cut it close transiting from an NW flight to another NW flight down to HKG, and I had four hours with that connection.

Opinions and educated guesses are welcome!

Thanks

-Fish

If I were you, I wouldn't take a chance. 2:25pm arrival is already busy hours at NRT-T1. You might have time to get stamps in your passport, but it's not likely that you will have time to do shopping. I don't know how often does your colleague go thru NRT-T1 immigration, but it hasn't gotten smoother based on my five years of transit experience at NRT.

Nevertheless, there might be few travellers on the date of your flight. So you might want to try as well. To me, NRT immigration is always unpredictable, so I get stamps if I have a connecting time of three hours or more. Anyhow, it's up to you, so good luck.

Last edited by N227UA; Feb 28, 2008 at 7:12 pm
Old Feb 28, 2008, 7:41 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Moving this to the Japan forum.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
Since last August Japan Immigration started fingerprinting and photographing incoming passengers, so I wouldn't say its a quicker process, but it hasn't slowed things down (from my point of view and experience) all that much.

So you have roughly 2hrs 15 mins (well not even that because they probably begin boarding call earlier, and doors closed, unless theres a delay).

If the plane arrives on time, you'd need to be one of the first off, then through Immigration, then customs, into the Arrival hall, then make your way to the store you need to find and purchase the item, then wait in line to go through airport security, then wait in line again to go through exit immigration. @_@

So a lot of variables in times, entry immigration, security check, then exit immigration could be fast, but it could also eat up a lot of time.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 2:16 am

Programs: UA MM, Avis CHM
My guess is that you'll be cutting it really close. But if the inbound immigration lines aren't too bad, certainly possible. I've had immigration refuse to admit me into Japan until I changed my story to an overnight stay "at, um, the Hilton?" though.

If you choose to stay airside you can get Thomas the Tank Engine pocky sticks (OK, non-Pocky generic chocolate-covered biscuit sticks) at the airside toy store. Not sure if they have the Thomas toy phone that speaks Japanese. It's a longish walk, so have the F lounge hold your bags for you.

Spend the rest of the time enjoying fresh sushi and sake at Kyotatsu (also airside)!

Last edited by SuperCarnitas; Mar 1, 2008 at 2:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.