Processing credit card charges from Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Processing credit card charges from Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Sorry to resurrect a 10 year old thread, but NONE of my cc charges have appeared (Amex or citi)for charges ranging from small supermarket to large hotel bills. It has been almost a week
The strange thing is that an AUTHORIZATION appeared almost instantly -Nad disappeared in a day or two, but the final charge hasn't appeared! So what are normal processing times for Japan these days?
Charges have been made both into machines and just signed old fashioned paper with no machine.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:34 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Could be 2 weeks or longer...don't worry about it.

I have a subscription to a Japanese service that bills me in Japan on the first of the month. Sometimes it does not show up on my credit card (AMEX in Canada) until the 20th of the month or later
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
I wouldnt worry - the charges will show up within 4 weeks.

Depending on the charging cycles of the business you can sometimes have just missed their monthly billing and it will only turn up next month.

There is a LOT of administration and red tape with Japanese CC charges which can lead to the delays people have mentioned.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:07 am

Rest assured the charges will show up. Eventually. Japan has a different system whereas they post only monthly unlike instantaneously like in the West. So a supermarket charge from early June only gets posted in early July or whenever their cycle comes up. As a matter of fact the cashier will also ask in how in many installments the charge should be, one or two. So it could show even later. We are used to it but it could be confusing for someone not experiencing this daily.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
My hotel bill from Tokyo Park Hyatt showed up on my CC from MC 3-4 weeks after I checked out so it's normal it takes a while. I guess this is the case when the amount is larger than usual, the CC is non japanese and there needs to be some form of manual approval in order to verify it's a legit transaction.

I was worried (actually happy Park Hyatt forgot to charge me) as well.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:51 pm

Thanks so much. The weird thing is that pending or authorized charges seem to show up right away (at least from the hotel), but so far no actual charges whether from a machine in grocery store or ......

Makes it pretty hard to see which credit card is giving the best exchange rate

So strange for such a technologically advanced society -I can custom order sushi (for 100 yen!) on a screen and have it delivered to my seat automatically but I can't see how much I've spent on my cc
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by estnet
So strange for such a technologically advanced society
Guess it's probably cos up until fairly recently, Japan was predominantly a cash-only society. In the smaller, more rural areas, even today it's still predominantly cash-only (In Feb I went ski'ing in Nozawa Onsen and stayed at a hotel that didn't accept credit card). So the banks didn't really have much incentive to modernize their systems.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:30 am

Programs: UA MP
I usually use my (Japanese) credit card at the grocery store, and charges don't usually show up for a bit more than a week (I base this on when charges are on the statement).
Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:46 am

So....the charge from the Sheraton posted in one day, none of the others -a hotel and a few market charges have appeared. Can't depend on currency exchange rate being anything close to what you expect if it changing rapidly
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by estnet
The weird thing is that pending or authorized charges seem to show up right away
There's nothing weird about that. Authorizations have to show up at your bank immediately. The whole point of the authorization is receive confirmation from the issuing bank that the account is in good standing and will pay for a charge in the amount authorized. This hits your account before the receipt prints out at the merchant.

As to when the actual charges, I've noticed two patterns: some charges post very quickly, and others take almost 30 days.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
There's nothing weird about that. Authorizations have to show up at your bank immediately. The whole point of the authorization is receive confirmation from the issuing bank that the account is in good standing and will pay for a charge in the amount authorized. This hits your account before the receipt prints out at the merchant.

As to when the actual charges, I've noticed two patterns: some charges post very quickly, and others take almost 30 days.
BUT knowing that an authorization works but not charging for 30 days risks.... the account being closed, not enough credit, etc. because the author. drops off in two or three days ...... so if I was running a business I'd like to make sure I really got paid

Anyway thanks to everyone for helping me understand the system!
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA CO
Return not showing up

Hi guys,

I purchased an item in Tokyo on Dec 21,2016 and I returned it next day on Dec 22 using a chase cc. The purchursing transaction was posted on Dec 23 but the return has not showed up as of now. I called the store and they said the transaction has been canceled/returned (it says "cancellation" on my return receipt). But chase told me they see no credits from the store. It's been more than two weeks and my next statements closes on Jan 15. Should I wait until Jan 15 or dispute the transaction right now? Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:31 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

My vote is to dispute it right now.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
My vote is to dispute it right now.
+1, gotta dispute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.