Wiki Posts
Search

ATMs - Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Nagoya & Kobe

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2007, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold

Did a search to no avail. I am sure the answer to my question is scattered over many threads, because I had come across some in past reading.

Please post ATM (only those take foreign credit and debit cards) locations in the subject cities. I am aware of most located in KIX and train station in Osaka, Kyoto and Nagoya. Welcome your input with location details.
I also understand that post offices are good places to look for ATM. Is access to post office ATM available on weekends and after hours (i.e. 24/7 like Citibank ATM at KIX)?
Thanks
Old Nov 12, 2007, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA (former CO), TrueBlue, Etc.
(Cut & Pasted From Japan-Guide & A Google Search For "ATM Japan")

Many automatic teller machines (ATMs) in Japan do not accept credit, debit and ATM cards, which are issued outside of Japan.

The big exceptions are the ATMs found at the over 20,000 post offices and over 10,000 7-Eleven convenience stores across the country. These ATMs allow you to withdraw cash by credit and debit cards issued outside of Japan, including Visa, Plus, Mastercard, Maestro, Cirrus, American Express and JCB cards and provide an English user menu.

The ATMs at 7-Eleven convenience stores are available 24 hours per day on every day of the year.

As for the post offices, note that only the central post offices of major cities offer a 24 hour/7 days a week ATM service, including the Tokyo Central Office, Shinjuku Office, Shibuya Office and the central offices of Osaka, Kyoto and a few other major cities (note that even these ATMs are unavailable on Sundays and public holidays for four hours between 20:00 and midnight).

Postal ATM operating hours then decrease proportionally to the size of the post office, from major post offices (typically 7:00 to 23:00, shorter hours on weekends) to medium sized offices (typically 8:00 to 20:00, shorter hours on weekends, possibly closed on Sundays) to minor offices (typically 9:00 and 16:00, closed on weekends).

In addition to the ATMs at post offices and 7-Eleven convenience stores, international ATMs can be found at international airports, in major department stores and in Citibank and Shinsei Bank branches.

In order to use international ATMs, ensure the following at home before leaving for Japan:

* Make sure that your credit or debit card can be used abroad.

* Inquire what fees and daily and/or monthly limits are associated with international withdrawals.

* Remember your card's secret 4-digit PIN.

* Notify your bank that you are going to use your card overseas, since many banks will block a card which is suddenly used abroad, suspecting a fraud.
You can search for ATMs which accept VISA cards here - http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/...SearchPage.jsp

Here's a link for Seven Bank, which provides the ATMs found in 7-11s in Japan - http://www.sevenbank.co.jp/intlcard/index2.html

Here's a list of all the CitiBank locations in Japan and their ATM times - http://www.citibank.co.jp/en/atm/index.html

I'm glad I can help for future searchers, but this literally took two seconds with Google.

Last edited by patchmonkey; Nov 12, 2007 at 3:02 pm
Old Nov 12, 2007, 3:00 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, BMI Gold, United 1K

I worked in Japan (Kobe) for a year and this was a big surprise to me upon my arrival. The post office ATMs will always take your non-Japanese cards, but many others will not. Even a afternoon-long visit to a large Citibank branch in central Osaka got me nowhere. I always recommend having some travelers checks on hand. Use your credit card where you can, but many places in Japan do not take them. People tend to use cash.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I can vouch for the Post Office ATM machines is Kyoto and Osaka. The one in Kyoto that I used is north of the train station.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 3:50 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
In Osaka -
In Hirakata-shi there's a school called Kansai Gaidai - it tends to be open weekdays and weekends (although not 24-7) and there is a postal-type ATM there that, as far as I know, takes all types of credit cards (I've defintely used Vista and Mastercard at it)

There's a postal ATM at Kyobashi station in the mall-ish section (not the Keihan Mall located at the Keihan part of the station) downstairs [it's near a supermarket] and it's open until 10pm (not sure how early it opens or how late after 10 it's open, though].

I've been able to find postal atm's in pretty much every area (including very rural) but sometimes the hours are not so great... (sometimes even worse than the lowest that patchmonkey included above, like M-F 10-14) I always make sure that I have a nice amount of cash on me before I go to Japan. (I'm not a big fan of traveler's checks as I forget about them and most Japanese stores won't accept them [e.g. you'll have to go to a bank to get them cashed])

Depending on what credit/bank company you use there also might be some large fees for using the postal ATMs. I usually get charged $5 for using a non-bank ATM and a small (luckily) out of US fee. My card does not charge me for exchanged $->yen. I'm not sure if the same fees are valid for the 7-11 ATMs as I believe it's a recent development that they accept so many different card types.

Here is some more information concerning Osaka-specific ATMs:
http://www.gaijinpot.com/bb/showthread.php?t=10228

Note: The posts are from '05 so there's a slight chance the ATMs they specify might not be around anymore.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
There's a Citibank branch in Kyoto that takes Western network ATM cards. It was strangely tough to find, despite having a central location. Take the big street that runs northward from Shin Kyoto Station to the big east-west cross-street (others here, please help out with street names). I think these are the streets that the subway runs underneath. Anyway, where those streets cross, about 100 yards or so to the left (west), is the Citibank.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Postal ATM hours tend to vary by branch. But generally longer hours nowadays compared to years ago. Fee has gone up too, from 50 yen 5-6 years ago to 200 yen today. Still very reasonable comparing to ATM fees in the U.S.

Credit card acceptance has increased too. Many taxi's can accept cards now and they are posted on the left rear window. If you get one that doesn't accept cards, just skip to the next taxi in line.

Most eating places especially in smaller cities still only accept cash. For places that cost a lot, they will accept a name card and send you a bill. Local company and address is required of course.

In my case I've always used ATM card to get cash and my reserve is left over foreign currencies that I never exchange back. With falling exchange rate, this practice has worked out fine. So far I only had to dip into this reserve once. When the Standard Charter Bank ATM at the HKG airport took my card, I used the foreign currencies reserve until I get back home and have the ATM card replaced.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
There's a Citibank branch in Kyoto that takes Western network ATM cards. It was strangely tough to find, despite having a central location. Take the big street that runs northward from Shin Kyoto Station to the big east-west cross-street (others here, please help out with street names). I think these are the streets that the subway runs underneath. Anyway, where those streets cross, about 100 yards or so to the left (west), is the Citibank.
The east-west main streets in Kyoto are numbered. The closest one to the Kyoto Station is Nanajo Dori (7th Ave), then northward to Gojo Dori (5th Ave), Shijo Dori (4th Ave) and Sanjo Dori (3rd Ave) etc.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks for ATM info pouring in - Only in FT

You guys are great ^^^
Such fantastic response, all trickled in at the stroke of the keys and clicks of the mice. Is this great or what? Only at FT!
Thanks a million
Old Nov 13, 2007, 6:22 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, USAIR
I'm surprised no one mentioned

I felt safe carrying quite a bit more cash in Japan than I ever would elsewhere. Between that and credit cards, all was well.

I even used a post office ATM in rural Nikko with no problem. They seem to be most everywhere, even though they don't always speak English. If there are two side by side, only one may work in English.

I too always have some travelers checks as backups - it's like making sure you have air in your spare tire every so often. No, you can't use them like cash as we can in the US, but you get in line at the bank (or at the airport) and turn them into yen.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phred
I felt safe carrying quite a bit more cash in Japan than I ever would elsewhere. Between that and credit cards, all was well.
You are quite right about the safety aspect. I think Japan is the safest country for foreigners.
A few years back, my boss left his entire brief case on the rack of a communter train from Yokohama to the office in Tokyo. Long story short, after a phone call and four hours later, the brief case was found at the same spot on the rack. Nothing was missing!
Back on topic, good to know that even post offices in villages offer ATM with English ^
Old Nov 13, 2007, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Back on topic, good to know that even post offices in villages offer ATM with English ^
Yes, not many tourists venture to rural Nikko.

Things have changed though. Since the yubinkyoku ATMs became JP Banks they no longer accept mine or MrLapLap's British debit cards (this change probably happened on 1st Oct 07). MrLapLap's credit card did work. We weren't exactly delighted with this change, especially as the cost for using it is considerably higher.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 8:49 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by LapLap

Things have changed though. Since the yubinkyoku ATMs became JP Banks they no longer accept mine or MrLapLap's British debit cards (this change probably happened on 1st Oct 07). MrLapLap's credit card did work. We weren't exactly delighted with this change, especially as the cost for using it is considerably higher.
I think you're making a post hoc propter hoc judgement LapLap. I seem to recall that you mentioned Seven-Eleven ATMs also rejected your UK cash card. (Am I imagining that?) If so, I think that the problems you experienced may be unrelated to the Post Office privatisation - Is there a chance that your UK bank made some changes to its systems?

The ATMs in Japanese post offices still indicate that they accept cash cards which carry the "Cirrus" logo (as well as VISA and other logos). I tried my UK cash card (not a credit card) in the ATM today and it worked fine. The card was issued by FirstDirect bank. It has a Cirrus mark on the back.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
I think you're making a post hoc propter hoc judgement LapLap. I seem to recall that you mentioned Seven-Eleven ATMs also rejected your UK cash card. (Am I imagining that?) If so, I think that the problems you experienced may be unrelated to the Post Office privatisation - Is there a chance that your UK bank made some changes to its systems?
No - the 7-11s have historically never accepted our debit cards. Only the Post Offices ever did (and the Citibanks erratically/once or twice in a blue moon.. for a laugh, I'd say).

MrLapLap only recently acquired a credit card. Both of us have only ever used our Debit cards before. We would have been completely sunk if he hadn't had a Credit card this time around.

And our Debit cards are issued by two different banks. I suspect that the old system meant that somehow the Post Office ATMs had access to whatever network could disclose if there were any funds in the British accounts before dishing up the dough - but with a Credit card, they don't need to. Hence the difference.

Neither of our cards have Cirrus - so this might be worth looking into for those visiting Japan from the UK. Visa on its own doesn't seem to be enough anymore.

Last edited by LapLap; Nov 13, 2007 at 9:12 pm
Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71

The ATMs in Japanese post offices still indicate that they accept cash cards which carry the "Cirrus" logo (as well as VISA and other logos). I tried my UK cash card (not a credit card) in the ATM today and it worked fine. The card was issued by FirstDirect bank. It has a Cirrus mark on the back.
No - the 7-11s have historically never accepted our debit cards. Only the Post Offices ever did (and the Citibanks erratically/once or twice in a blue moon.. for a laugh, I'd say).

MrLapLap only recently acquired a credit card. Both of us have only ever used our Debit cards before. We would have been completely sunk if he hadn't had a Credit card this time around.

And our Debit cards are issued by two different banks. I suspect that the old system meant that somehow the Post Office ATMs had access to whatever network could disclose if there were any funds in the British accounts before dishing up the dough - but with a Credit card, they don't need to. Hence the difference.

Neither of our cards have Cirrus - so this might be worth looking into for those visiting Japan from the UK. Visa on its own doesn't seem to be enough anymore.
So I am trying to follow this along........do you Brits refer to ATM cards (cards that are attached to a savings/current account with no credit card capability) as debit cards?

I will have to say that I just came back from the 7and i, and pulled out cash very easily(this with my Canadian bank card, the kind that works in ATM around the world and is attached to my savings account.) Perhaps Laplap you should check with your financial institution about the problems you had here.............

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.