HND to NRT, bus or train?

Subscribe
I arrive in HND on a domestic flight at about 11:00AM and fly out of NRT to LAX at about 3:30PM. I suppose either the bus or train will get me to NRT on time, but which do you think is better? I did a search, but the threads I found were about NRT to HND.

Also, on the website for the bus schedule it indicates that I need to make a phone reservation? Am I reading that right?

http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/tim...r_tokyu_h.html
Having taken both bus and trains several times in Japan, I would recommend the train. The trains are always on time and travel times are solid. The buses are subject to traffic that can make travel times unpredictable. That being said, the bus is easier if you have a lot of luggage. I've attached a link that shows several ways to get from point A to point B in japan on a train. There is an "english" button on the top left hand side of the page. Also note the pull down menus that give more detailed options on your departure/ arrival points.

http://grace.hyperdia.com/
I'd say bus because it requires no thinking and no possibility of mistake. I've never needed to make a reservation for those busses.

The train generally requires at least one, and possibly more, transfers, depending on the route chosen.
I don't mind the transfers. I will only have carryon luggage. I'm concerned about traffic that the bus might run into on the way. Also, I have some work to do on my computer and figure that the train might be a better ride for working. Thanks for the reply.
I've never bothered with the trains between HND and NRT, so I don't know if it possible to have enough space to work on your laptop on those trains. There is not a lot of room on the bus either, but if you get the front seats, you should have enough room to work.

The bus usually runs just fine and you should have plenty of time since it is the middle of the day (not peak rush hour). I've taken the bus several times from HND to NRT and have never had a reservation before arriving at HND. It is very convenient. Just remember to keep your passport with you (don't put it your luggage that goes under the bus) as the bus stops just outside NRT and they check everyone's passport before the bus proceeds into the airport.

Others might have different experiences that can chime in here.
Thanks for the passport tip!
Usually, if possible, I would take an earlier flight that arrives Haneda around 9AM. Then get a little shopping done or a lunch appointment before heading to Narita. In that case I would lock my bags up in a locker at the Tokyo Stn. near the NEX platform. Most shops open at 10AM.

Passport is also needed for Duty Free items (>$100) at Akihabara.
Of course, "duty free" just saves you the 5% consumption tax and nothing more so it's not such a big deal anyway. You need your passport because they staple a form in there to prove you exported the form at least and the immigration guy takes the form when you are exiting the country.
I recommend the bus because you will get to see cool places en route (the buses go through Odaiba and Makuhari Messe, I believe, while the train runs underground or through people's backyards for most of the journey).

The bus is also more comfortable than the train—if you do the train, you're basically riding in subway cars the whole way.
If time is the most important thing, I recommend the bus. Bus departures are very frequent. Journey time by bus is 75 mins, whereas the best train times are around 100 mins. (That would be for Keikyu line to Shinagawa, + N'Ex)

The added complication with trains is that the best route will depend on the time of departure. at 10.05am it makes sense to take Keikyu to Shinagawa and then pick up the N'Ex. But a few minutes later, you've missed that connection at Shinagawa and you're better off with another route.

Is there a chance that the bus will be delayed in traffic? Yes. But it's usually pretty punctual.

If the ability to work while travelling is more important, then I would prefer the train. Narita Express is an OK environment to work in (especially green cars) and even on the subway-style cars of the Keikyu line I can balance a laptop on my knees. By contrast, I can't stand working on the shaky bus.

Final note - For my money, the scenery that you see from the bus is mostly unattractive. There's no scenic route to Narita that I know of.
Well, I'm tempted to take the train and then link to the Narita Express. I guess I need to figure out my options and then see what time I actually get in. From the ANA gates, what is a reasonable amount of time to allow for getting to the train station? I will only have carryon luggage. Thanks again.
The train it depends on which trains you take. Taking Keikyu trains from haneda to Shinagawa or taking the Tokyo Monorail to Hamamatsucho. Tokyo Monorail has two stations at Haneda Airport for each terminal, while Keikyu has one terminal in between underground. A connect at Shinagawa would be ok since the NEX stop at Shinagawa, you'll have to stop and get your NEX ticket at Shinagawa as you're changing from Keikyu to JR, except not all NEX stop at Shinagawa, so timing has to be right, or you'll need to connect at Tokyo Station. A connection at Hamamatsucho would also require another connection to Tokyo Station, again getting your NEX ticket at Hamamatsucho.
Quote: Well, I'm tempted to take the train and then link to the Narita Express. I guess I need to figure out my options and then see what time I actually get in. From the ANA gates, what is a reasonable amount of time to allow for getting to the train station? I will only have carryon luggage. Thanks again.
Arriving on ANA, exit the luggage claim area, turn left and down the escalator. The Keikyu and Tokyo Monorail are basically side by side, left is Keikyu and right is Monorail. The ride on Keikyu to Shinagawa is about 30 minutes and the ride on Monorail to Hamamatsucho is about 40 minutes.

At Shinagawa Keikyu Stn., arrival from Haneda will be on the wrong side from the JR transfer gates. So you will need to go down one level then up the other side. The NEX tracks is may be forth set of tracks, after Yamanote (green), Negishi (blue) and Tokaido (orange) but before Shinkasen tracks.

If you need NEX tickets, then exit to street and turn to the right for the JR ticket office.
Quote: the ride on Monorail to Hamamatsucho is about 40 minutes.
20 minutes.
Quote: 20 minutes.
Me bad...

Yes, one time we were one hour before flight time starting at Tokyo Stn. Going to Haneda via Yamanote line and Monorail and still made the flight. Just a brief case of course.