Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vegetarian Options in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2007, 4:42 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I wish I could help more ... like as in tell you exactly where this place is ...but there's a fabulous tofu and veggie restaurant in Kyoto. It's on a really popular walking street (several shops and restaurants and no vehicles that I recall) and a little before it makes a turn. It's very serene ... in a lovely garden. I had maybe an eight-course meal and spent most of the afternoon there. Like I said, I wish I could tell you more about where it is - I do remember it said tofu on the sign - but maybe your hotel will know it based on my oh-so-terrific (not) description.

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 25, 2007 at 4:47 pm
Old Aug 25, 2007, 5:09 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
There are several temple stay options with veggie food in northern Kyoto. Apart from that, please check Imadegawa street just west of Doshisha University for a very varied food scene. It has a certain Berkeley type flair...The department store basement food(ie) courts on Shijo should also be interesting.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by l'etoile
I wish I could help more ... like as in tell you exactly where this place is ...but there's a fabulous tofu and veggie restaurant in Kyoto. It's on a really popular walking street (several shops and restaurants and no vehicles that I recall) and a little before it makes a turn. It's very serene ... in a lovely garden. I had maybe an eight-course meal and spent most of the afternoon there. Like I said, I wish I could tell you more about where it is - I do remember it said tofu on the sign - but maybe your hotel will know it based on my oh-so-terrific (not) description.
Sounds like Okutan, in Sannenzaka, the old-style street with steps that runs between kyomizuderazaka and nenenomichi. One of my favorites, and I don't say that lightly. Much better than TARA fried potato, whatever that is.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 11:00 pm

I am very close to Shijo-Karasuma Bus stop to be exact. Any more input is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Calcifer
The lunchtime buffet in the basement of Crayon House in Omotesando used to be quite good (haven't been in a few years). Not everything is vegetarian but the signs are all clearly marked with pictures of pig, cow, vegetables, fish etc. so it's pretty clear. And for some reason their brown rice just tastes really good.
I went to Crayon House yesterday for their daily lunch buffet (11:00-14:00, 1,260 yen), and I was quite underwhelmed. First of all, the selection was hardly extensive, and on top of that, 3 of the dishes had meat or seafood. Even the miso soup has fish stock. (I overlooked the fish stock and had a bowl of the miso soup, which was quite ordinary.) All I could have, besides the miso soup, was a salad, cold tofu, bitter melon stir fry (with tofu), brown rice topped with some slimy potato paste that was interesting, and barley tea. All the veggies were of the cheapest varieties. No fruits or dessert.

I had high hopes for this and had thought the price was a bargain, considering the high price for veggies in this town, but I left disappointed and hungry. This is the type of place that gives vegetarian cuisine a bad name. However, it was quite crowded and full of young parents with children, probably because the Crayon House building has a children bookstore & toystore upstairs.

On a different note, I came across Chaya at Isetan in Shinjuku, and they have a (macrobiotic) veggie (vegan?) prix fixe menu for around 4,650 yen and will look forward to trying that out next month. Any current reviews of this place?

Also, at the President Hotel in Aoyama, their lobby has an Italian restaurant called Orta (I think), which specializes in organic veggies. They have a vegan prix fixe (5 courses + tea & dessert) for 6,800 yen. I'm tempted to try it but think it is overpriced. Can't find any review of it so far online (in English, at least). Any opinions on this place?

Last edited by sfvoyage; Aug 26, 2007 at 5:53 pm
Old Aug 27, 2007, 10:09 am

Yaoya no Nikai

Yaoya no Nikai (http://www.bento.com/kansai/rev/7006.html) in Nishiki Market is fantastic - a single set lunch for Y2100, which varies every day according to what's fresh. The web page says reservations are recommended, but we just stopped by and put our names on the list for a seating about 20 minutes later.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 10:16 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Pickles
Sounds like Okutan, in Sannenzaka, the old-style street with steps that runs between kyomizuderazaka and nenenomichi. One of my favorites, and I don't say that lightly. Much better than TARA fried potato, whatever that is.
Yes, that's it. Thank you.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gortuk
Yaoya no Nikai (http://www.bento.com/kansai/rev/7006.html) in Nishiki Market is fantastic - a single set lunch for Y2100, which varies every day according to what's fresh. The web page says reservations are recommended, but we just stopped by and put our names on the list for a seating about 20 minutes later.
I've eaten here and would not recommend this restaurant for someone who does not eat fish on a drop in basis. The article says it might be possible to request a vegetarian meal in advance - if you don't speak Japanese your concierge might be able to arrange this for you.

Last edited by LapLap; Aug 27, 2007 at 12:39 pm
Old Aug 28, 2007, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If any of you decide to join the masses of Korean and Chinese tourists around here (FUK) at the moment, I offer this macrobiotic restaurant. Full on vegetarian with no dairy used to boot.......

Offering the service lunch for about 800 Yen.

http://www.manna-k.com/
Old Aug 28, 2007, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
On a different note, I came across Chaya at Isetan in Shinjuku, and they have a (macrobiotic) veggie (vegan?) prix fixe menu for around 4,650 yen and will look forward to trying that out next month. Any current reviews of this place?
Quite famous, talked about in another thread. Try the mille feuille (SP) if they still make it........
Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by mosburger
In Kyoto I would check places near the Karasuma-Imadegawa crossing ( next to Doshisha University ). Of course there are two other major Unis in Kyoto but they are a bit more away from the central districts.

The curry rice joints can basically put in anything you want as long as they have it in store.
I was told that commercial curry sauces contain tallow. This may no longer be true (I was told this some 30 years ago), but be aware.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ksandness
I was told that commercial curry sauces contain tallow. This may no longer be true (I was told this some 30 years ago), but be aware.
Traditionally curry spices have been fried in clarified butter or ghee (pardon the spelling) then vegetables are added......(in India curries). As you point out , Japanese curry is more a cross between tomato based/beef stock gravies, than traditional curries from South Asia.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by LapLap
Found this website which looks quite useful:

http://www.vegietokyo.com/info4vegie...ant/index.html

There is a list here: http://www.vegietokyo.com/info4vegie.../article2.html with some suggestions which might prove helpful - however, convincing a restaurant in Japan to make vegetarian futomaki, chirashi sushi or gyoza could provide quite a challenge! The list is a guide, and is by no means comprehensive, focusing on Japanese food available in the USA.

Another dish you can sometimes find is: Kijoyu Udon - Thick wheat Udon noodles seasoned with soya sauce instead of the usual fish based stock.
I am not a vegetarian, but still wants a good meatless meal once in a while. Very useful web link, THANKS.
Like the OP, I am trying to look for similar info for Osaka and Kyoto for casual dining once in a while, vegetarian style!
Old Aug 29, 2007, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by 1000k00
Thanks for the link!
Old Aug 29, 2007, 6:15 pm

Programs: CO, NH
In Osaka, you must check out Common Cafe, which is a space used by many different young entrepreneurs who get a night to turn it into their own cafe, shop, or entertainment venue, depending on the schedule. It's a really wonderful place and I love the neighborhood. See here. It is near the Nakazakicho subway exit.

I have eaten at "Cafe Millet" and it is at least vegetarian. IIRC there were vegan options too. Here is a picture of the sign to look for and here is a picture of my meal. I hate ketchup but otherwise it was yummy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.