FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
I thought you were tsukemono.
 LOL.....
Old Dec 31, 2008, 3:00 am

Talking

Originally Posted by Pickles
...??? We are nisemono!
LOL! Oh man, this is the funniest unchi ever. I can't help but rack in awe of the brand of retort and ultra-profundity of my alter ego bruesnikinae:

gura -- out-and-out, methodically the brand of retort I was desirous for! Once again I rack in awe of the ultra- profundity of expertise on FT.

But appreciation also for reminding me (sideways) that you can't through-brake girl onto house-broken flights in Japan. My impedimenta will be strait to a rollaboard, but I conceive you're licence, the most viable mixture would be to seamy in first and only then leader off on my noodly mission. I'll perfectly give Ichiran a crack if the inconsiderate gods of airplane arrivals and immigration leave are at all in my favor.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
In the 2007 Zagat guide, this place is rated as one of the top 5 Italian restaurants in Tokyo. Get there before the crowds finally discover it.
Too late. That and the Michelin star means that you have to make reservations 3 weeks in advance for weekends. Weekdays is a bit easier.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
One more. Yoshihashi in Moto Akasaka for sukiyaki. The rules are the following: no children, no photos, no smoking, no cell phones, no perfumes, and please abstain from writing about the restaurant in blogs or other web media (oops!). No website either.

If you are willing to abide by the rules, and have 2,100 yen to spare, you can be treated to the most amazing wagyu beef, either in sukiyaki style, with ponzu dipping sauce, in a bento, or "Holanda Style". Portions are ample, comes with a couple of side items (soup, pickles, rice, some veggies), and quality is extra-high. Really a class act of a meal.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do they deliver?

I had the worst Japanese food in PP the other day ! The restaurant trumpeted the fact that they are Thai style Japanese restaurant....the maki sushi was so sweet it even offended my Kyushu taste-buds .....
Old Mar 8, 2009, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And the hits keep on coming. Hasegawa, in Kanda Nishikicho. Not giving you any more info, find out yourself!

Tiny place. So tiny and narrow the entrance and exit are different, counter area is not wide enough to turn around. Their gindara is the best I've ever had, it has the consistency and taste of foie gras. Don't ask me how they do it, but the place is run by 4 old ladies that their ages combined would take us back to the late Heian period, and the youngest one has been in training for 50 years.

Most expensive set menu is 1500 yen.

Last edited by Pickles; Mar 8, 2009 at 4:10 am
Old Mar 19, 2009, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One more. I had been here before a while back, but had the pleasure of "rediscovering" it today, after it earned a Michelin star. Place is called Chikuyo-tei, in Ginza 8-14, specializes in unagi and tai-chazuke. Lunch menus 2-3,000 yen. There are two restaurants, a very fancy ryotei (the one featured in the Michelin guide) and a casual eatery right next door. Same kitchen, same specialties, but basic service in tables instead of tatami for much less money.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:28 am

Um... I am not really sure if this counts but do you know what many Japanese office workers have for lunch? It's Bento (lunch box).

During lunch hours (Usually between 11:30am and 2pm), in the business districts or many other areas, you will see some Japanese people in line waiting in front of small vans that are parked on the sideroad. Those vans are Bento vendors. Surprisingly, there are many different choices you can make.

The popular bento by those vendors is usually Curry Rice and it's actually great (My coworker from India once told me he liked it better than Indian curry haha) Other options would be some Okinawa (Southern Most prefecture in Japan) local food, traditional Japanese bento, omelette rice, Paella, noodles. Stuff like that.

The average price is 500 yen to 800 yen. Many come with side orders like Salad, Bread, and soup. Since this is a financially challenging time, many office workers like myself go for something reasonable and quick like this. And it's a very common thingy.

Since it has gotten warm here in Tokyo, you can grab a bento and enjoy it in a park or something. If you need a cold beverage, you can get it from a machine or a closest convenience store.

This is another way to experience a real Japanese culture in a way.. and reasonable I thought I'd mention that

Happy Lunch-ing!
Old Mar 19, 2009, 5:38 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by tokioblue
Um... I am not really sure if this counts
I don't make the rules, but I think that it would be valid to name a specific bento vendor who makes truly delicious bento and sells them at bargain prices. A generic recommendation to get food from a street vendor and a can of pop from a machine really belongs in a "cheap eats" thread.

I must say, though, that it's really great to see you sharing your thoughts with this forum again. I don't think I'll ever forget your tip for eating sushi more elegantly.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
I must say, though, that it's really great to see you sharing your thoughts with this forum again.
^^^
Hear, hear!
Old Mar 20, 2009, 12:03 am

One more. I had been here before a while back, but had the pleasure of "rediscovering" it today, after it earned a Michelin star. Place is called Chikuyo-tei, in Ginza 8-14, specializes in unagi and tai-chazuke. Lunch menus 2-3,000 yen. There are two restaurants, a very fancy ryotei (the one featured in the Michelin guide) and a casual eatery right next door. Same kitchen, same specialties, but basic service in tables instead of tatami for much less money.
Chikuyotei is probably Japan's best known unagi restaurant and they're now franchised all over the place, with a branch even in Singapore. Homepage:

http://www.unagi-chikuyoutei.co.jp/
Old Mar 20, 2009, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpatokal
Chikuyotei is probably Japan's best known unagi restaurant and they're now franchised all over the place, with a branch even in Singapore. Homepage:

http://www.unagi-chikuyoutei.co.jp/
But I'm talking about the Honten, the building dates from the Taisho era and was somehow spared the firebombing during the war and the bulldozer after it. Everything else is just a replica!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
I'm bumping this thread because it has not been updated since 2009! Any new recommendations?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Went through this thread from top to bottom. 懐かしい...

A number of the places listed no longer exist, but others not listed have cropped up. But good times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.