Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Great deal gourmet lunches

Great deal gourmet lunches

Old May 7, 2007, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talking

Originally Posted by Pickles
Suegen is also famous for being the place where Yukio Mishima had his last meal.
I wonder if there isn't photographic evidence after the fact... ?
Old May 7, 2007, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Suegen is also famous for being the place where Yukio Mishima had his last meal.
This is not something I'd ever really thought about before. I'm just relieved to learn that it's likely his last meal didn't consist of noodles... (where's the emoticon with the green face?) That's a fair trek from Ichigaya isn't it?
Old May 7, 2007, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation An interesting interview with the "man"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IasOk...elated&search=
Old May 7, 2007, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you!!

That really was extraordinary - so different to what I felt he 'should be' when reading about him, yet somehow so very true to the persona I vaguely imagine when I read the translations of his work.

I couldn't help but feel he'd be just as comfortable lounging in a velvet smoking jacket and a silk cravat as he obviously was whilst strutting in a military uniform (stunning!)

RIP
Old May 8, 2007, 12:55 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I think you and I might have spoken about this before... ?

The restaurant's own website is less prosaic: It states that it was widely reported in the newspapers at the time of Mishima's death that he and five members of the Tatenokai had their last supper here. (I had to look up the last kanji in last supper "saigo no bansan" - The same kanji are used for Da Vinci's Last Supper). The dinner was tori nabe - so it's quite possible that there were some noodles in there.

I am trying to picture the scene in my mind's eye. I am sure Mishima would have seized the opportunity for a messianic "This is my flesh... Do this in memory of me," lecture to his acolytes. But I just can't get it to work with a tori nabe. I can't help but see Mishima's crescendo of rhetoric broken by the hoarse voice of a little old lady in a kimono "Oooh, you ought to turn down the flame now. Shall I scoop off the scum for you boys?"

Whether anyone found noodles among the blood and guts on that famous day is, perhaps, a detail that history will never surrender to us... but Billy Connolly and I can assure you that there were diced carrots in there.

If you check out my review on page 1 of this thread, you will find a link to the restaurant's official website, which proudly relates the Mishima connection and a link to a photograph of the famous oyako don in its runny-eggy glory (click on the "street pizza" hyperlink).

Last edited by jib71; May 8, 2007 at 2:26 am Reason: punctuation
Old May 8, 2007, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
... but Billy Connolly and I can assure you that there were diced carrots in there.
I have found myself wondering about the universality of this before, but I guess that, as long as Mr Mishima had eaten a Japanese curry at some point in his life, this would be true... (I'm so happy I haven't had breakfast yet!)

And thanks again Q Shoe Guy - I didn't realise there were so many (or indeed any) Yukio uploads in youtube. It's been a fascinating morning.
Old May 8, 2007, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LapLap
I have found myself wondering about the universality of this before, but I guess that, as long as Mr Mishima had eaten a Japanese curry at some point in his life, this would be true... (I'm so happy I haven't had breakfast yet!)

And thanks again Q Shoe Guy - I didn't realise there were so many (or indeed any) Yukio uploads in youtube. It's been a fascinating morning.
Neither did I, LapLap.....
To bring this back to the topic, just devoured a gourmet dinner of chutoro carpaccio with a nice fresh tomato cucumber feta salad.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Another one: Tonkatsu Mikawaya, next door to the Gonpachi on Nishi Azabu crossing. Third generation family run, limited menu (of course). Theoretically open for lunch 11:30-2:30, but the line is always long and it is always crowded, so they close whenever they run out of food, which can happen as early as 1:00.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
One more: Yanmo. Seasonal Izu fish, grilled to perfection. Very simple meal: grilled fish, soup, rice, pickles, small zensai, tea, but the flavor and quality is excellent. 1,000-1,400 yen for lunch. Open weekends also. Two convenient locations, one near my office and one near my home, he he.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While on a roll: The new Ten at the Shinmarubiru. Nice teppan lunch, 1800-2500 yen, includes decent portion of beef or fish, vegetables, soup, rice, tea, and a whole marinated tomato, very tasty.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 9:35 am

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
As discussed at the last Mabo, probably worth adding Beacon to the list here for those who don't know of it. Great western food in a modern atmosphere at prices that don't exceed 1600 JPY at lunch unless you really want a steak.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 3:26 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
One more: Yanmo. Seasonal Izu fish, grilled to perfection. Very simple meal: grilled fish, soup, rice, pickles, small zensai, tea, but the flavor and quality is excellent. 1,000-1,400 yen for lunch. Open weekends also. Two convenient locations, one near my office and one near my home, he he.
Do they do saba? It has always been my favourite Japanese fish and will remain so... Any fusion influences in the seasoning etc.? A sustainable fish restaurant in Tokyo sounds almost too good to be true.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Looking at the food pictures makes my mouth water! Yum! Quite reasonable to boot. When opportunity presents itself, I would like to try the one in Marunouchi.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mosburger
Do they do saba? It has always been my favourite Japanese fish and will remain so... Any fusion influences in the seasoning etc.? A sustainable fish restaurant in Tokyo sounds almost too good to be true.
Yes, they do, if in season and available. When I was there yesterday, they had both shioyaki and misozukeyaki. As for fusion influences, well, it seems that it is as traditional as it comes. However, if you think back to Nobu and their "signature" dish, the famed black cod with miso, that's nothing but the basic misozukeyaki, which is as traditionally Japanese as they come. So, if you like to think of Nobu's signature dish as "fusion", then, yes this place has fusion influences...
Old Nov 20, 2007, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I pitched this thread at 2,500yen, but I'm going to stretch it to 2,900yen so I can include

Chez Tomo MAP
and their four course lunch set menu.

I was here a few weeks ago and it struck me that I probably wouldn't even be able to source the raw ingredients in London for that price. And now Chez Tomo has a michelin star. I'm delighted for them, it's a lovely restaurant that cuts no corners.

Conveniently located for those staying at the New Sanno, the Westin and for those at the Sheraton Miyako who don't mind a stroll.
Japanese review here with menu details.

Last edited by LapLap; Nov 20, 2007 at 11:43 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.