Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Narita International Airport (NRT) - Layover & Hotel
Where to stay overnight and what to do nearby

Narita Airport (NRT) is approximately 60 km from central Tokyo. It is blessed with numerous hotels, many with shuttles (served from the terminals' bus platforms) and often at surprisingly low rates for Japan. Some of these hotels offer free shuttles into the nearby city of Narita (Narita-shi).

If you have a few hours (say six or more) Narita offers many things to do--the Narita-san Shinsho-ji Temple and Park is beautiful and pleasant and on weekends one often sees performances of traditional arts and music. The Omotesando street leading there is lined with shops and restaurants, as well as a local museum.

See Mike Newman's Narita Layover Pages for many things one can do.

See the thorough online Japan Guide.

Read this article on CNN.

Some of the hotels at/near Narita Airport:
A - Radisson Hotel Narita https://www.radisson.com/narita-hote...-0221/jpnarita
B - Narita Gateway Hotel http://www.reservations.com/hotel/na...FQ-bfgodLi4M0A
C - Narita Excel Hotel Tokyu http://www.tokyuhotelsjapan.com/en/h...RIT/index.html
D - Narita View Hotel http://www.viewhotels.co.jp/narita/english/
E - Hilton Narita http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/jap...IHI/index.html
F - ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hote...cp/hoteldetail
G - Marroad International Hotel Narita http://www.marroad.jp/narita/eindex.htm
H - Narita Tobu Hotel http://www.tobuhotel.co.jp.e.mi.hp.transer.com/narita/
I - Hotel Nikko Narita http://www.nikko-narita.com/english/
J - Narita Airport Rest House (located inside the airport) http://www.apo-resthouse.com/english/
K - Toyoko Inn Narita Kuko http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00037/
L - Skycourt Narita http://www.sky-hotel.jp/narita/en/

Print Wikipost

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by italdesign
Sooo my Sat night layover is almost here. Staying at the APA hotel and landing at 4:30pm. I know the temple will be closed then (also leaving early next morning), but I would like to visit the park at night or early morning (around 7am) if possible. Would I be able to do so when the temple is closed? Is it easy to get to from APA hotel? Lastly I heard good things about Ramen Bayashi. Any other good places nearby to eat authentic Japanese food? I'll check out the links in the wiki but feel free to comment if you have any specific recommendation Thanks.
The temple and park area looked very open to me, I'm guessing that you will be able to wander about there in the evening or early morning.

As you're walking up from the train station to the temple, you will see many places to eat. I noticed a couple of shops grilling eel or fish that looked and smelled pretty darned tasty, but I needed to warm up and opted for a bowl of hot ramen. The Jet Lag bar is only a short walk up the road from Bayashi if you're seeking liquid nourishment.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
mrjay, your detailed itin is awesome. Thanks for that.

Anyone have recommendation for breakfast around 6-7am? Ideally I would have eel or ramen, but that might be asking too much
Old Dec 18, 2015, 11:09 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Any other good places nearby to eat authentic Japanese food?
You'll be in Japan, don't think authentic food will be a problem.

I ended up eating at random sushi place, and it was, of course, very good. I did not sit, but took it with me.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by EmailKid
You'll be in Japan, don't think authentic food will be a problem.
Actually, if it's anything like China or US, 90% of the restaurants are just OK. It's actually hard to find really good food.

Anyway, I'm here now. On this Sat night Omotesanto was dead after Bayashi, so went with that (safe choice). Didn't see anyone making eel, might be a daytime-only thing. Would have gone with eel @ Chrythesamum (sp) but ate fish on the flight and eating more fish on tmr's flight. I'm fished out!

BTW, just before Bayashi, if you make a right turn (coming from the station), that street is quite busy with numerous lively restaurants, more so than most of Omotesanto.

Going to the park in the morning.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: Delta
Actually, if it's anything like China or US, 90% of the restaurants are just OK. It's actually hard to find really good food.
Japan is not at all like that. Not familiar with Narita town in particular. However, everywhere else that I've been is chock full of restaurants from cheap to expensive where the owner/manager cares about providing good, fresh, well-prepared food. A very different culture from the US, IMO.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 12:25 am

Programs: NH Dia (MM), QF-Plt, S-La GC Dia, Marriot Plt
Thought I'd share a cool short cut about navigating through Narita Terminal 1 for those using the South Wing to depart... When you come out of the train station, rather than go the normal way up to ground and then walk through all the people waiting for arrivals onto the escalators, you can go down the tunnel that leads to Domestic departures... then right at the end of the tunnel are 2 elevators. Take one straight to the 4th floor and presto you are at the checkin lobby. This is so much quicker than the signposted way in my opinion and I am yet to see anyone else ever use this way.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Akihabara
Thought I'd share a cool short cut about navigating through Narita Terminal 1 for those using the South Wing to depart... When you come out of the train station, rather than go the normal way up to ground and then walk through all the people waiting for arrivals onto the escalators, you can go down the tunnel that leads to Domestic departures... then right at the end of the tunnel are 2 elevators. Take one straight to the 4th floor and presto you are at the checkin lobby. This is so much quicker than the signposted way in my opinion and I am yet to see anyone else ever use this way.
If I'm following you correctly, I too always take the elevator from the station concourse level straight up to the 4th floor. Never take the escalators.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by evergrn
If I'm following you correctly, I too always take the elevator from the station concourse level straight up to the 4th floor. Never take the escalators.
+1 - I always take the express elevators - instead of heading left to the escalators look to your right and you will see the elevators - they are after the first little escalator but before the big ones...
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
I'm arriving to NRT at 7:25 AM and departing at 6:20 PM. Reading this thread that probably isn't enough time to go into Tokyo proper so is my best option to wander around Narita Village and have lunch somewhere? Figure if I get there at 9 AM I'll have time until about 3 to explore.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:04 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
Figure if I get there at 9 AM I'll have time until about 3 to explore.
If I hadn't been to Tokyo proper before, I would go there. IMHO, that would be enough time if you took the train and still have time to do sightseeing.

I've been to both, but only Narita was a layover. Spent about 3 days in Tokyo itself and really liked it.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I'm arriving to NRT at 7:25 AM and departing at 6:20 PM. Reading this thread that probably isn't enough time to go into Tokyo proper so is my best option to wander around Narita Village and have lunch somewhere? Figure if I get there at 9 AM I'll have time until about 3 to explore.
I think you will have enough time to head to central Tokyo area. Express trains from Narita Airport (both by JR Narita Express and Keisei SkyLiner) to central area of Tokyo take about 1 hr., depending on what part of Tokyo you are heading.

For example, upon arrival at 7:25 a.m. at NRT you will likely able to catch Narita Express No. 4 departing Narita Airport Station at 8:13 a.m., where Narita Express No. 4 will arrive Tokyo Station at 9:27 a.m.

Your departure flight from NRT is 6:20 p.m. Even if you want to be back at NRT 2 hours before your flight, that will be Narita Express No. 37 departing Tokyo Station at 3:33 p.m. and arriving Narita Airport Station at 4:31 p.m.

This will pretty much give entire 6 hours to wonder around Tokyo. You will have plenty of time to head into central area of Tokyo.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
I technically have been to TYO proper, but I was 6 so it doesn't count. It sounds like I'll have enough time to see a few sights and have a proper Japanese lunch. What train station/area should I head to where the sights are fairly compact?

ETA: Yoshihashi looks like a place I MUST go for lunch!

Last edited by rdurlabhji; Mar 22, 2016 at 1:59 pm
Old Mar 24, 2016, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA, NW
I technically have been to TYO proper, but I was 6 so it doesn't count. It sounds like I'll have enough time to see a few sights and have a proper Japanese lunch. What train station/area should I head to where the sights are fairly compact?

ETA: Yoshihashi looks like a place I MUST go for lunch!
Take the Keisei Skyliner (40 minutes) to Ueno, where you will find Ueno Park, with its museums, and Ameyokocho, a street market.

From the subway Ueno station, you can zoom over to Asakusa and see the Sensoji temple with the souvenir stands and snack booths along Nakamisedoori approach to the temple. (It's touristy, but most of the tourists are Japanese.)

If you are into electronics and manga/anime, you might want to travel south from Ueno and go to Akihabara, home of electronics stores and manga/anime geeks.

The area around Tokyo Station, the other place that's easy to go to from NRT, is generic international business land with lots of glass and steel towers. If you go to Ueno and Asakusa, you will feel as if you have really been to Japan.

Tokyo has more restaurants than you would believe. The problem will be deciding where NOT to eat.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
If I hadn't been to Tokyo proper before, I would go there. IMHO, that would be enough time if you took the train and still have time to do sightseeing.

I've been to both, but only Narita was a layover. Spent about 3 days in Tokyo itself and really liked it.
Suggestions for my 3 day stay in Tokyo. Landing at 9 and taking off at 9 after 3 days. Hotels, transport, sites, etc comments would be welcomed. Also, how best to pay for this stay, cash or credit card. How much do I need for 2 if cash? Thanks
Old Mar 27, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Suggestions for my 3 day stay in Tokyo. Landing at 9 and taking off at 9 after 3 days. Hotels, transport, sites, etc comments would be welcomed. Also, how best to pay for this stay, cash or credit card. How much do I need for 2 if cash? Thanks
Here are some suggested itineraries.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3051.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.