Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Narita International Airport (NRT) - Layover & Hotel
Where to stay overnight and what to do nearby

Narita Airport (NRT) is approximately 60 km from central Tokyo. It is blessed with numerous hotels, many with shuttles (served from the terminals' bus platforms) and often at surprisingly low rates for Japan. Some of these hotels offer free shuttles into the nearby city of Narita (Narita-shi).

If you have a few hours (say six or more) Narita offers many things to do--the Narita-san Shinsho-ji Temple and Park is beautiful and pleasant and on weekends one often sees performances of traditional arts and music. The Omotesando street leading there is lined with shops and restaurants, as well as a local museum.

See Mike Newman's Narita Layover Pages for many things one can do.

See the thorough online Japan Guide.

Read this article on CNN.

Some of the hotels at/near Narita Airport:
A - Radisson Hotel Narita https://www.radisson.com/narita-hote...-0221/jpnarita
B - Narita Gateway Hotel http://www.reservations.com/hotel/na...FQ-bfgodLi4M0A
C - Narita Excel Hotel Tokyu http://www.tokyuhotelsjapan.com/en/h...RIT/index.html
D - Narita View Hotel http://www.viewhotels.co.jp/narita/english/
E - Hilton Narita http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/jap...IHI/index.html
F - ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hote...cp/hoteldetail
G - Marroad International Hotel Narita http://www.marroad.jp/narita/eindex.htm
H - Narita Tobu Hotel http://www.tobuhotel.co.jp.e.mi.hp.transer.com/narita/
I - Hotel Nikko Narita http://www.nikko-narita.com/english/
J - Narita Airport Rest House (located inside the airport) http://www.apo-resthouse.com/english/
K - Toyoko Inn Narita Kuko http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00037/
L - Skycourt Narita http://www.sky-hotel.jp/narita/en/

Print Wikipost

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Old Jan 12, 2007, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Scifience
Shouldn't she still be able to get a transit visa with proof of onward travel to JFK?
She can either get a transit visa before flying, or she can aim for a shore pass for the day once she's in NRT. Don't have experience with those, and don't know how hard they are to get, but it is up to the discretion of the immigration officer.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 11:20 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Pickles
Maybe it is some mail-order bride thing, who knows.
That's sort of what I was thinking too. Come on - going half way around the world with $25 on you? Something seems weird.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA, NW
That's sort of what I was thinking too. Come on - going half way around the world with $25 on you? Something seems weird.
I didn't think of the mail-order bride angle.
It reminds me of the time I was going through immigration at Narita, and in the line across from me were a couple dozen young Filipinas in dressy dresses, shepherded by a burly fellow who didn't quite look like a yakuza but close enough to be creepy.
Since I knew it wouldn't do any good, I refrained from alerting the immigration officials that someone was apparently trying to bring illegal hostesses into the country. If they weren't suspicious seeing one gruff knuckle-dragger shepherding a group of young Southeast Asian women through immigration, I had to assume that they had been "encouraged" to look the other way.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 5:05 pm

Programs: WWMFD
Plus, it's hard to transit security with those handcuffs on.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 7:02 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
The OP came to this forum asking for help and guidance. Wild speculation about his motives and that of his friend would seem most unwelcoming. Most FTers are from countries whose citizens are welcome to transit at NRT. Try to understand that not everyone is so lucky. So his friend has no money? What's the big deal? I know people from Thailand and the Philippines who could probably only visit the US if someone else was paying. Please allow them dignity. It's upsetting to see FTers questioning the OP's motives or labeling his friend a "mail-order" bride.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Sunnyhere
The OP came to this forum asking for help and guidance. Wild speculation about his motives and that of his friend would seem most unwelcoming. Most FTers are from countries whose citizens are welcome to transit at NRT. Try to understand that not everyone is so lucky. So his friend has no money? What's the big deal? I know people from Thailand and the Philippines who could probably only visit the US if someone else was paying. Please allow them dignity. It's upsetting to see FTers questioning the OP's motives or labeling his friend a "mail-order" bride.
See, you're projecting your own judgment here, and don't even realize it. I don't think there's anything wrong with a mail order bride, personally. To each his own. And we did provide some advice: try to get a transit visa or a shore pass, to avoid having to be stuck airside for 12 hours, even if you only have $25 to spend.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Pickles
And we did provide some advice: try to get a transit visa or a shore pass, to avoid having to be stuck airside for 12 hours, even if you only have $25 to spend.
And quite frankly, $25 will probably go further landside than airside.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA PLat
all good

Not mail order , and not bride , but ... i do have responsiblity , . I have some business interests in Indonesia . and I have been there 12-15 times in last 5 years.
she won US diversity lottery ,and has green card .

and as any of our Asian travelers do know , being Western in SE asia, does make one taller and better looking .
but , believe it or not I have got a gal or 2 in USA !

and yes 25 $ is low budget , but is all US $ on person . till arrival .when I pay dowry and other fees . LOL , kidding .

thanks for input
Old Jan 13, 2007, 11:59 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Maspablo - I would say that your friend should really try to get the transit visa or shorepass. However, I am aware that there is a risk she could be denied a shorepass. (There is a story about this on mjnewman's Narita layover page).

BTW - Highly recommend that you look through that Narita layover page if you haven't already.

The best advice I have received about dealing with immigration officials is that you should know your story and stick to it. In her case, that should be easy - She's on her way to the US. She has her onward boarding pass. She is holding a green card and looking forward to living in the US. She wants to do something less boring than being stuck airside at NRT for 12 hours.

In the event that she is denied a shore pass, she needs a Plan B.

You could try calling to the day rooms to see if they will accept your credit card by phone - but I doubt that they will. (Just my gut feeling). If that is the case, then I would advise her to carry a pillow and find a bench to lie down and take a nap. Save her money for some food and refreshments in the terminal. I am not aware of any free internet terminals in Narita. But there are WiFi spots.... Is she carrying a PC?

BTW - When you say that she has $25 - Do you mean that she's carrying $25 in US currency? I have a feeling that few airside stores will accept dollars - and no landside stores. It would be better for her to have that money in YEN if poss.

Last edited by jib71; Jan 14, 2007 at 12:06 am
Old Jan 14, 2007, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maspablo
Not mail order , and not bride , but ... i do have responsiblity , . I have some business interests in Indonesia . and I have been there 12-15 times in last 5 years.
she won US diversity lottery ,and has green card .

and as any of our Asian travelers do know , being Western in SE asia, does make one taller and better looking .
but , believe it or not I have got a gal or 2 in USA !

and yes 25 $ is low budget , but is all US $ on person . till arrival .when I pay dowry and other fees . LOL , kidding .

thanks for input
LOL

And with that you fully deserve the 'best newcomer' award to the Japan Forum. ^ ^ ^

Lets hope we get mas maspablo. Mucho mas!
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't see the big deal here, 12 hours isn't THAT long? There is plenty to see, make sure she brings a few books and has some bottles of water and a packed lunch, other than that it will be a long(ish) day, but 12 hours isn't the end of the world. I've been stranded at airports for far longer than that and I'm still alive.

It's mighty nice that you want to treat her well, but I doubt she'll suffer too much in just 12 hours.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 11:49 am

Programs: AA PLat
plan is set

shower for 5 $ , 10 minutes on internet , cup of noodles , few bottles of water , nap , and she has things to read . she will be fine

and still have a few $$ change.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:02 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by jib71
I have a feeling that few airside stores will accept dollars - and no landside stores. It would be better for her to have that money in YEN if poss.
I've seen many people use US currency at the airside venues, even snack bars and gift shops. It probably isn't the best exchange rate, though, and change is given in yen, I believe.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:46 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Rampo
It probably isn't the best exchange rate, though, and change is given in yen, I believe.
If all you have in the world is, say, a $20 bill, then a small purchase at one of those kiosks might be the best way of getting some local currency (and a bite to eat). The banks might give a better rate of exchange, but they're going to charge a fee... and you won't score a nigiri in the transaction.

If I had 12 hours to spend in the airside area at NRT with only a $20 bill and no lounge access, then I might give myself the time-wasting challenge of calculating the amount of cash required for the bank to be a better deal than the kiosk. That might keep me amused for the first 30 minutes...

11 hours and 30 minutes to go.... I spy with my little eye, something beginning with P.

Last edited by jib71; Jan 15, 2007 at 10:01 am
Old Feb 24, 2007, 2:48 pm

23.5 hr layover Sun. 3/11 - drinks anyone?

I'll be making my first visit to Japan and Tokyo on 3/11 when I have a 23.5 hr layover before continuing on to BKK. I'm staying at the Grand Hyatt Sunday night. Flight lands at NRT little before 6pm. If any local or visiting FTers will be around and would like to meet up for drinks that would be awesome. I've got a thread in CommunityBuzz to track anyone who can meet up: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=664277

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on things to do Sunday night or Monday morning (flight leaves NRT at 5:15pm on Monday), I would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.