Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Narita International Airport (NRT) - Layover & Hotel
Where to stay overnight and what to do nearby

Narita Airport (NRT) is approximately 60 km from central Tokyo. It is blessed with numerous hotels, many with shuttles (served from the terminals' bus platforms) and often at surprisingly low rates for Japan. Some of these hotels offer free shuttles into the nearby city of Narita (Narita-shi).

If you have a few hours (say six or more) Narita offers many things to do--the Narita-san Shinsho-ji Temple and Park is beautiful and pleasant and on weekends one often sees performances of traditional arts and music. The Omotesando street leading there is lined with shops and restaurants, as well as a local museum.

See Mike Newman's Narita Layover Pages for many things one can do.

See the thorough online Japan Guide.

Read this article on CNN.

Some of the hotels at/near Narita Airport:
A - Radisson Hotel Narita https://www.radisson.com/narita-hote...-0221/jpnarita
B - Narita Gateway Hotel http://www.reservations.com/hotel/na...FQ-bfgodLi4M0A
C - Narita Excel Hotel Tokyu http://www.tokyuhotelsjapan.com/en/h...RIT/index.html
D - Narita View Hotel http://www.viewhotels.co.jp/narita/english/
E - Hilton Narita http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/jap...IHI/index.html
F - ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hote...cp/hoteldetail
G - Marroad International Hotel Narita http://www.marroad.jp/narita/eindex.htm
H - Narita Tobu Hotel http://www.tobuhotel.co.jp.e.mi.hp.transer.com/narita/
I - Hotel Nikko Narita http://www.nikko-narita.com/english/
J - Narita Airport Rest House (located inside the airport) http://www.apo-resthouse.com/english/
K - Toyoko Inn Narita Kuko http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00037/
L - Skycourt Narita http://www.sky-hotel.jp/narita/en/

Print Wikipost

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Actually they don't sell commuter passes for the NEX because it is reserved seating or reserved standing room only, unlike the Shinkansen which has open seating cars.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:39 am

18+ hour layover at NRT

Hi All,

We arrive into NRT on 4/30 at 15:05 and depart on 5/1 at 09:50. We thought it would be a great opportunity to see Tokyo for the night and have settled on reservations at Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku. From my research it seems to be the best area for a quick stay?

Based on my search, it looks like we have 3 options to get into Tokyo: Narita Express, Limousine Bus and Standard Train. I read some threads discussing the options and the consensus seems to be split between Narita Express and the Limousine Bus. We had originally settled on the Limousine Bus as we felt it would be the least hassle, however, given our early departure, it doesn't look like we would get back to NRT in time to catch our flight (08:40 arrival to Terminal 1 from our Hotel). So now we figure we'll just take the Narita Express both ways, rather than walk to another hotel pick up station for the Limousine Bus.

I read you can make reservations for the Narita Express, but I wasn't sure how/if this was even necessary? My main concern is securing our return leg in the morning. My other concern is obviously the fact that we're not natives, but it looks like there are plenty of English signs to guide us? Also, if I read correctly a RT fare should cost 5500 yen per person?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 4:52 am

For such a short stay I would take the n'ex both ways, especially given the proximity of your hotel to Shinjuku station. If you are travelling with a lot of checked baggage, you might consider storing your bags at NRT and just traveling into Tokyo with light overnight bags.

Can bags be checked through to final destination for an overnight layover?

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Mar 27, 2013 at 5:04 am
Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:04 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
For such a short stay I would take the n'ex both ways, especially given the proximity of your hotel to Shinjuku station. If you are travelling with a lot of checked baggage, you might consider storing your bags at NRT and just traveling into Tokyo with light overnight bags.
Or checking the bags all the way through.

I'd also lose the hotel in Shinjuku and pick something in the Ginza, Marunouchi, Tokyo area. It will give you an extra hour for roaming about.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 6:21 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by xiKiNGix
From my research it seems to be the best area for a quick stay?
No. As 5k stated, it's more efficient for you to stay on the East side of town.

The area around Tokyo station is good can be but somewhat expensive. I see that you're staying at a Sunroute. There's a Sunroute in Shinbashi which would be similarly priced to the one in Shinjuku ...

Plan C would be to take the Keisei Skyliner to Ueno and stay there. In terms of transit time and cost it's one of the cheaper options and certainly the quickest option. The area can be a bit gritty but it's safe and quite interesting.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Taking NEX to Shinjuku is a bad idea. It takes 90+ minutes and follows a circuitous route. Keisei Skyliner would be much faster but you have to deal with connecting on the Yamanote line.

I am not a huge fan of Shinjuku.........

The Limo bus also pads their timetables with up to 45 min. (I am guessing that the bus leaves at 07:00?) Figure 1 hour 10 minutes from Shinjuku in decent traffic. There is a link on their site that shows current traffic travel times. Traffic is usually pretty good in the morning to NRT.

If the bus timetable says arrival 1 hour 10 minutes before departure then it's reasonable. That could be considered a worst case scenario with major accident en route. Airlines have 1 hour cutoff at NRT for luggage check and some are not overly strict about it. I had a visitor the other week who arrived 1 hour before departure.

The reason for the above was that the NEX cancelled all morning trains because it was a bit windy....... Another reason not to take NEX to the airport.

Last edited by gnaget; Mar 27, 2013 at 7:08 am
Old Mar 27, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: UA, NW
I agree with the advice to take the Keisei Skyliner to Ueno. As one of the posters above said, Ueno is gritty but safe, and to my mind, you'll get more of a feeling of being in Japan as opposed to being in some anonymous neighborhood of skyscrapers.

You're close to the Ueno National Museum, the Shitamachi Museum, the street market of Ameya Yokocho, and pretty close to Sensoji Temple in Asakusa.

Furthermore, there are plenty of perfectly acceptable hotels in the neighborhood.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 3:06 pm

Friend I tried to post here but it's not showing. Forget Narita, there's only one place to visit while you're here, and that my friend is good old Tokyo Town. There are two places in Japan friend, Tokyo - and Not Tokyo. So do yourself a big favor and get the train or bus into Tokyo Town, sleep at a love hotel, coffin apaato, gran bagus cyber cafe or capsule hotel and visit one of these districts: Asakusa, Ikebukuro, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Roppongi or Ginza - or visit all of them on the Yamanote line and metro.

Take care friend.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by rnmcd
Is there anything in NRT for me to do for these 4 hours?

I won't have a laptop with me but I as wondering if there was an internet cafe' available for travelers.

Thank you.
Just curious, but why would you be interested in an internet cafe if you won't have a laptop? NRT does rock though.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:38 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by twotooto
Just curious, but why would you be interested in an internet cafe if you won't have a laptop? NRT does rock though.
What?
--

I didn't have much success finding an internet cafe in Narita city, but I can say that the Mercure Hotel has paid terminals to use. But IIRC, the Aoki shopping center closer to the Keisei Narita station might have internet facilities, though you must bring your passport to register. The price may have put me off too.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by twotooto
Internet cafes also provide computers.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:20 pm

Programs: US Airways, Silver United, Gold Hilton, Platinum Marriott, Gold SPG
Originally Posted by eternalX
Yea. If I hadn't been to Tokyo before then I would agree wit the Ueno option but as it is, I don't want to get all sweaty (Tokyo in June...) before my return and rush back. Thanks for the Narita options. Looking forward to Japan. Flying there on Friday!
Having the same quandary right now, staying in NRT for 10hrs with my teenage son. Choices...choices
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Just traveled through NRT with my friend, he left the airport and I didn't, and in the end we were both very happy with our choices. I think it depends on you - if you're the type that gets antsy then it's definitely worth it for a breath of fresh air. Also, big factor will be if you have lounge access since that was a big factor in my willingness to stay at the airport.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: US Airways, Silver United, Gold Hilton, Platinum Marriott, Gold SPG
Originally Posted by jib71
A few weeks ago. I don't think it's a good idea, since so many facts about Narita layovers have changed in that time. The thread just seems to invite people to ask questions that have been answered many times rather than giving people the ability to find up-to-date answers for themselves.

Ho hum.

Exactly! Layover at NRT for 9.5 hrs, with my teenage son, I'm in a quandary:
Should I got to Narita city or should I go to Tokyo. My son says he wants to see the capital of Japan
We are also on a tight budget, coming back from Veitnam.
Please advise
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moving to the destination (Japan) forum, where it is appropriate, and merging into the Narita layover thread.

BTW, please do not bump up threads that have been unused over two years, per TOS. Thanks!.

JDiver
senior moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.