Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan Rail Tokyo Route Map - In English?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2004, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WWMFD

Anyone know where I can find a copy of this? Preferably web-based.

Domo.

kmc
Old Jan 29, 2004, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Never mind, found it.

Old Jan 29, 2004, 8:22 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

And here is where you can find schedules and fares in English between any two rail stations in Japan (provided you spell the station name the way the site recognizes):

http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/
Old Jan 29, 2004, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kcvt750:
Never mind, found it.

</font>
Actually, what you linked to above is mostly a subway map of Tokyo, not a JR map (although it does have a few JR lines on it).

Here is the JR Greater Tokyo map:

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e-info/map_a4ol.pdf
Old Jan 29, 2004, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Domo, Steve & Richard!

Steve-san, this is the one I was really looking for. Many thanks!

[This message has been edited by kcvt750 (edited Jan 29, 2004).]
Old Jan 30, 2004, 5:23 am

It's worth noting that the above map is indeed the JR map of Greater Tokyo, all the private rail lines -- which can be faster and are almost always cheaper -- are missing. Tokyu to Yokohama, Odakyu to Kamakura, Tobu to Nikko...

Unfortunately I've never seen a decent English map of *all* Tokyo lines and have no idea where to find one. Anybody?

Old Jan 30, 2004, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jpatokal:
It's worth noting that the above map is indeed the JR map of Greater Tokyo, all the private rail lines -- which can be faster and are almost always cheaper -- are missing. Tokyu to Yokohama, Odakyu to Kamakura, Tobu to Nikko...

Unfortunately I've never seen a decent English map of *all* Tokyo lines and have no idea where to find one. Anybody?

</font>

They sell a few books that have the maps in them of all the lines but the advantage of the book is that everything can be cross referenced (see junctions and stuff). I don't own one but they're also included with the Atlases that are sold in book stores.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 8:41 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone can be a Tokyo public transit guru but it requires having two different publications, from different publishers:

1. The paperback "Tokyo Metropolitan Area Rail and Road Atlas," published by Kodansha. Last one I bought in the U.S. was $24.

This book contains the most complete listing of all rail and subway lines, including private rail, with a good indication which stops are express and local and also indicates travel times. All names are bilingual so you can do a pattern match if need be (generally only required when looking for stations other than the one you're at on private rail lines or buying tickets on private rail lines).

2. "Rail Map of Tokyo Area," published by Shobunsha in English and sold for Y800 in Japan. This one shows better than any other the largest number of transfer points (although it doesn't have all of them), and is particularly useful when determining the shortest route if you will need to transfer between subway, JR, and/or private rail.

It is imperative to get the latest edition of both as public transit keeps getting added to in Tokyo. Any book or map that doesn't show the Oedo subway line, for example, is out of date.

I am aware of at least two new JR rail lines passing through Shinjuku (the Shonan Shinjuku line that goes to Yokohama -- and beyond -- and the extension of the Saikyo line that connects to the Rinkai line) that are not yet on any English publication I have seen, but with these two guides and some planning time, you'll be even occasionally able to outdo a local.

The "Rail Map" is a particularly good map to pull out when someone from London or Paris or New York tries to boast about how extensive their public transit system is!

(Edited for typo)

[This message has been edited by RichardInSF (edited Jan 30, 2004).]
Old Jan 31, 2004, 5:16 am
Suspended

If you've got a Palm/Pocket PC/Symbian device like a P800/P900, I'd try to download MetrO which will do the Subway routing. Cost is free. http://surf.to/metro

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.