Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2015, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: joejones
Options for transferring between Tokyo's two airports :

Taxi:
Beween NRT and Tokyo City including HND, fixed fare is approved by government. In most of the cases, fixed fares are cheaper than meter fares. Advance booking required. Tolls are not included.
Limousine Bus (link):
Rail (link):
Print Wikipost

Transport between Narita and Haneda airports, Japan [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:07 am

Flying into HND from KIX (Domestic). Arrive at 7:40am on Sunday
Depart NRT for ORD (Int'l). Leaving at 11:10am on Sunday. 3.5 hour "layover".

First timers in Japan. Don't speak the language. I know this is doable, but missing the Int'l flight is not really an option. Realistically on a Sunday, whats it going to take for newbies to make this trip?

After reading this thread I'm pretty nervous and it hasn't even been booked yet! LOL (Sorry, I know posting this question here is like beating a dead horse!)
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:36 am

Programs: Velocity Gold
Get the Limo bus. Easy.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Could you fly Jetstar or Peach from KIX to NRT?
That might be less stressful than that connnection.

Also - Just want to check some assumptions. Are you going to be in the area of Kansai airport? (It's quite a distance from Osaka city).
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by jib71
Could you fly Jetstar or Peach from KIX to NRT?
That might be less stressful than that connnection.

Also - Just want to check some assumptions. Are you going to be in the area of Kansai airport? (It's quite a distance from Osaka city).
We are intending to stay in Kyoto, which I know is a hike. I think we might actually look at flying into Kyoto/Osaka on the front end of the trip to alleviate any concerns about transport back to Tokyo on the travel day home.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by adschnei
We are intending to stay in Kyoto, which I know is a hike. I think we might actually look at flying into Kyoto/Osaka on the front end of the trip to alleviate any concerns about transport back to Tokyo on the travel day home.
Perhaps you would be better off flying from ITM to NRT.
ITM = Itami (Osaka airport).

Still requires an early start but not quite so bad.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:47 am

Perhaps you would be better off flying from ITM to NRT.
ITM = Itami (Osaka airport).

Still requires an early start but not quite so bad.
I would much prefer this route, but the booking is being made through points (BA) and unfortunately on the dates we need there are no ITM-NRT options. Rather disappointing, as I know it would be much easier this way.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:29 am

the booking is being made through points (BA)
I wouldn't waste points on a flight that's so far from my ideal - and particularly when the flights can be bought for not so much money. YMMV.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I wouldn't waste points on a flight that's so far from my ideal - and particularly when the flights can be bought for not so much money. YMMV.
Definitely. Those flights are generally cheap with special prices for foreigners. Or if you have any *A points then you can try to book ANA with few points. With United it used to be 6000 points one way.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by gnaget
Definitely. Those flights are generally cheap with special prices for foreigners. Or if you have any *A points then you can try to book ANA with few points. With United it used to be 6000 points one way.
It's 4500 miles and with the Amex 40% bonus that's practically nothing...
Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Getting to KIX around 6 in the morning sounds like an adventure in itself. Taking the 4:30 am bus from Kyoto, I guess? I'd consider crashing at the airport hotel the night before.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by joejones
Getting to KIX around 6 in the morning sounds like an adventure in itself. Taking the 4:30 am bus from Kyoto, I guess? I'd consider crashing at the airport hotel the night before.
I missed that at first but definitely agree. If the OP must be at KIX around 6:00 am for a flight, a night near the airport is almost necessary. The first Haruka doesn't get there until after 7:00 am. Local trains don't help. There may be an early bus but I doubt it would improve much on that.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:43 pm

Flying into HND from KIX (Domestic). Arrive at 7:40am on Sunday
Depart NRT for ORD (Int'l). Leaving at 11:10am on Sunday. 3.5 hour "layover".
I don't think this can be easily done from Kyoto. There are no trains that early. The earliest bus gets to KIX around 6:00 am, 6:05 if you need terminal 2. What time does your flight depart?

You might want to move to a hotel near the airport that last night.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Feb 3, 2015 at 10:48 pm
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:19 pm

Baggage+Airport transfer NRT->HND for 2 day stopover

I have gathered lot of useful info for my stopover at Tokyo Feb 13-15 and am hoping for few additional pointers.

I will be arriving at NRT on Fri Feb 13 at 5:45 pm. I will be departing from HND to SFO on Sun Feb 15 night around midnight - both flights operated by Japan Airlines, travelling on Business Class. I will be travelling with 2 checked-in bags and 1 carry-on handbag. I intend to take the carry-on to city for visiting sites etc., but do not want to carry around the checked bags.
I checked with Japan Airlines and they said they can't check the bags all the way since the stopover is more than 24 hrs.
Here is what I am planning to do: After I arrive at NRT on 13th, take the bags to HND (bus or train) and keep them in locker or baggage storage. Any advice on this to make it easier ?

Thanks.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by techrover
I have gathered lot of useful info for my stopover at Tokyo Feb 13-15 and am hoping for few additional pointers.

I will be arriving at NRT on Fri Feb 13 at 5:45 pm. I will be departing from HND to SFO on Sun Feb 15 night around midnight - both flights operated by Japan Airlines, travelling on Business Class. I will be travelling with 2 checked-in bags and 1 carry-on handbag. I intend to take the carry-on to city for visiting sites etc., but do not want to carry around the checked bags.
I checked with Japan Airlines and they said they can't check the bags all the way since the stopover is more than 24 hrs.
Here is what I am planning to do: After I arrive at NRT on 13th, take the bags to HND (bus or train) and keep them in locker or baggage storage. Any advice on this to make it easier ?

Thanks.
If you want to take 2 suitcases plus carry-on from NRT to HND, I would recommend the airport limousine bus, as you won't have to worry about lugging your bags around the trains.

Another option is you can takkyubin (courier) your 2 pieces to wherever you'll be staying in Tokyo, directly from NRT. I'm pretty sure you can specify delivery time and date. But you would then have to take the bags to HND by yourself.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by shinjukuflyer
... Another option is you can takkyubin (courier) your 2 pieces to wherever you'll be staying in Tokyo, directly from NRT. I'm pretty sure you can specify delivery time and date. But you would then have to take the bags to HND by yourself.
Or, if you don't mind spending a few bucks for convenience, takkyubin them directly to HND, to be held for your departure day. You may need to ask about storage at HND for that extra day but I think they will do it. If not, take them to the hotel and the day before departure takkyubin them from the hotel to HND.

I agree that if you will be hauling that much stuff with you, use the limo-bus, not the train.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.