Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future of Japan

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrploddy
Ouch you'll have fun dealing with the local Zeimusho then when that unfortunate time comes . At least you won't have to deal with the HMRC too as UK Inheritance tax is only on UK based assets.

If I'm unfortunate enough for said relative to die whilst still living here I'm gonna have to deal with the tax authorities of 2 countries and somehow avoid having a huge tax bill to pay to Japan.

Japan lets you deduct taxes for taxes paid overseas so I'm hoping if that situation ever arises I can work out a deal where my UK solicitor would pay HMRC their due and then send over the balance of what is due to Japan rather than pay it ALL then get a refund back.
Am just about to start the process of registering my marriage (and birth of my kid) with the Spanish authorities. Hadn't considered the implications involved further down that path. If I start now I may actually have a chance of getting my head around it. #Brexhit
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mjm
You gt to start playing with the 2555. It allows 100,000 of overseas income to be deducted. That plus your deductions in the US and I bet you would be paying very little if anything in US taxes.
Was not familiar with the 2555 form, but will look into it.
I knew about the FEIE. But was wondering what would happen when you try to bring money over from US to Jpn after retirement (such as Roth, 401k, savings).
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:36 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by evergrn
Was not familiar with the 2555 form, but will look into it.
I knew about the FEIE. But was wondering what would happen when you try to bring money over from US to Jpn after retirement (such as Roth, 401k, savings).
Don't. Just park it in the US and use a credit card to spend it. Rack up miles and have access to funds. Given that even basic gold cards here are up to 20,000 spend a month, I imagine that if US issued cards are at all similar you will be fine. When I was in college in the UK I used send travelers checks as it was safe and negotiable. But the days of sending money are largely gone I guess.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mjm
Just park it in the US and use a credit card to spend it. Rack up miles and have access to funds.
That's brilliant. I'm taking copious notes.

And based on what I read, it seems like you can maintain US credit card with a foreign address and you can always keep your US checking account loaded from abroad because bank transfers are not taxed (at least by US).

Just hoping that Jpn doesn't try in the future to crack down on this credit card loophole and squeeze tax out of it.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:43 pm
mjm
Original Member

That's brilliant. I'm taking copious notes.

And based on what I read, it seems like you can maintain US credit card with a foreign address and you can always keep your US checking account loaded from abroad because bank transfers are not taxed (at least by US).

Just hoping that Jpn doesn't try in the future to crack down on this credit card loophole and squeeze tax out of it.
I maintain a US mailing address for my accounts there. I just find it easier, although one, with USAA, is perfectly fine using my Japanese address. The government here cannot crack down on this as filtering out legitimate travelers would require a reverse Physical Presence test (one of two on the 2555)
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mjm
I maintain a US mailing address for my accounts there. I just find it easier, although one, with USAA, is perfectly fine using my Japanese address.
You can do that through virtual mailbox service, right?
If I move to Jpn, I won't have a real residential address in US.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:14 pm
mjm
Original Member

You can do that through virtual mailbox service, right?
If I move to Jpn, I won't have a real residential address in US.
I would probably ask a friend/relative to receive mail for me. As 100% of your banking is done online anyway you will not need the address for anything more than their records.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.