Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Pasmo or Suica for Tokyo / Kyoto visit. Which is better and why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pasmo or Suica for Tokyo / Kyoto visit. Which is better and why?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by evergrn
I'm an idiot who gets Suica card then returns it at the end of each trip. I'm just afraid that it won't work when I return a few months later. I do the same with Octopus. We've discussed this elsewhere in this forum... it's irrational, I should just hang onto it. I just lack faith in these IC cards' durability, because hotel room cards crap out all the time.

Anyways, I always get Suica. Never Pasmo. I just think more people get Suica, even though there may ultimately not be too much difference. One definite merit of Suica is that you can accrue points when you pay with Suica. Places like Ito Yokado, Kinokuniya, and a lot of the businesses in the JR paid area of the station (eg, Ecute). Granted you don't really accrue much value through this program, and I'm not sure if there's an English website that walks you through the registration and redemption process. I don't think Pasmo has such program, although I could be wrong. Another benefit with Suica is that there're attractions that offer discounts to Suica holder. I just learned this the other day when I went to the Rainbow Pool at Tachikawa where the admission was 10-15% less just for showing Suica.
I visit Japan once or twice a year and I've been using the same Suica card for all these trips since 2011. Never had an issue.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:14 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by baby_tux
I remember refilling my Suica with 10/50 yen coins last year at subway stations. Unless it has changed in the meantime.
Actually you're right. Sorry. It's not the card but the machine in which it's refilled. I've switched to an Apple Watch to do transit payments so I've forgotten how it works
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by evergrn
I just lack faith in these IC cards' durability, because hotel room cards crap out all the time.
You don't have to worry about the durability of Felica cards. Handle them properly, i.e. don't fold or bend them, and they will work for years. These NFC cards have one tiny silicon chip connected to loops of wires that catches the magnetic induction fields for power. The most common failure is a break in connection between the chip and the loops, or within the loops.

My 2004 vintage Suica card still works.

Most hotel key cards are plain ol' magnetic cards. They are subject to external magnetic fields that may alter the data on the stripe.
groovbusta likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Not a Suica but I had a Kyoto 3k yen reloadable bus pass that I got in 2004 that still worked in 2011. I may still have it around here somewhere but am unlikely to have a chance to test it out again.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Most travel guides mention that both Pasmo and Suica cards can be used on public transport. Absolutely zero mention any *practical* difference between the two. I'm taking a short trip to Tokyo with an overnight to Kyoto and, possibly, a day trip to Hakone. Which card, if any, is better for me and why?

Is one accepted more widely at "no credit card" non-transport points of sale? There's got to be some practical difference between the two, hasn't there? Which do you prefer and why?
There's practically no difference in how they're accepted in typical use. You can use both on buses, subways and JR (excluding Nozomi). I was recently in Kansai and recharged and used my Suica in Kyoto and Osaka. It's great that all the different variants of Suica (issued by the different JR branches) work with each other and all over.

The difference between Suica and Pasmo is if you're a commuter and which company issues your commuter pass. JR or Eidan/Toei.

As a tourist, pick which ever one you fancy. I use a Tokyo Monorail Suica with a green monorail car on it. Twee!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll just purchase whatever Suica variant I encounter first at NRT.

Originally Posted by abraxis
There's practically no difference in how they're accepted in typical use. You can use both on buses, subways and JR (excluding Nozomi). I was recently in Kansai and recharged and used my Suica in Kyoto and Osaka. It's great that all the different variants of Suica (issued by the different JR branches) work with each other and all over.

The difference between Suica and Pasmo is if you're a commuter and which company issues your commuter pass. JR or Eidan/Toei.

As a tourist, pick which ever one you fancy. I use a Tokyo Monorail Suica with a green monorail car on it. Twee!
Kannai likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: Mabuhay Miles, Skypass, Eva Air, KrisFlyer
Special note about the deposit, refund of Suica. The deposit is 500 JPY per card. You can get this back before you leave my refunding it at a JR Ticket Office, but if it has any balance on it, they will charge you 200 JPY. So if you want to maximize it, use it to less than 200 JPY before you refund it Or just keep it for your next trip
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by kzap
So if you want to maximize it, use it to less than 200 JPY before you refund it
If you want to maximize it, use ALL the credit. I believe JR will take whatever's left of your balance, if there's less than 210 yen.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
IIRC the Suica cards are valid for 10 years after the last recharge/use (not sure which one).

For many years I was a Suica user, because of the JR promo on the N'Ex - one got a return ticket + a Suica with some value on it for a discounted price. Return it to the JR office for the deposit every time, get a new one when arriving next time.

Since they discontinued this promo, I just got a Pasmo (nearest vending machine on arrival) and have used it ever since. Haven't noticed any practical differences between using the two. (the small coin rechargability is in favour of the Pasmo. Some Suica reload machines took only 1k yen bills)
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by kzap
Special note about the deposit, refund of Suica. The deposit is 500 JPY per card. You can get this back before you leave my refunding it at a JR Ticket Office, but if it has any balance on it, they will charge you 200 JPY. So if you want to maximize it, use it to less than 200 JPY before you refund it Or just keep it for your next trip
Pasmo users win. No refund fee.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by O Sora
Pasmo users win. No refund fee.
But you can only refund it at Tokyo Metro stations, the airport not being one of them, which means you'll keep it as a souvenir.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
But you can only refund it at Tokyo Metro stations, the airport not being one of them, which means you'll keep it as a souvenir.
Think about Euro. French banks, German banks, Spanish banks can handle it. Pasmo is like that. At NRT, Keisei accepts refund request. At HND, Keikyu.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by O Sora
Think about Euro. French banks, German banks, Spanish banks can handle it. Pasmo is like that. At NRT, Keisei accepts refund request. At HND, Keikyu.
Really! Had no idea. I remember trying to refund a Pasmo at JR and they obviously refused, and since then I haven't bothered. But fair enough!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
On a sidenote: I really do think that tourists get more value from the combined TOEI/Tokyo Metro passes once they travelled relatively frequently with one (or both) of the two companies.

That said, combining both (Pasmo/Suica and pass) is probably the best solution.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by WorldLux
On a sidenote: I really do think that tourists get more value from the combined TOEI/Tokyo Metro passes once they travelled relatively frequently with one (or both) of the two companies.

That said, combining both (Pasmo/Suica and pass) is probably the best solution.
The 900 yen "Common One-day Ticket for Tokyo Metro & Toei Subway"?
http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/value/1day/
How much money has this saved you? And what is the itinerary that makes this worthwhile? I'm genuinely interested to know.
I think someone once explained that it was a great value for them because they stayed at some distance from central Tokyo and needed to change from one subway company's lines to the other company's lines quite frequently. With the way I travel and the places that I stay, I think it's very rare for me to spend more than 900 yen on subway fares in one day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.