Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Muji store prices

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Muji store prices

Stupid question, but do the Muji stores in Japan actually sell items at the prices printed on the stickers of the items?

We recently learned about Muji stores, got excited because it's kind of like a higher quality Ikea concept (minimalistic but good quality and relatively cheap), and went to the one in San Francisco. Well, the prices at the San Francisco store were not anywhere close to what the prices on the labels were. Stuff was nearly double in some cases.

For example, an eraser had a label of 70 yen, but was being sold for $1.25. There were chopsticks or a bowl or something in the kitchen area that was sold for $13 with a label saying 700 yen. Many pens were $3-6, going up to $10. That's the same as just going to a store in Little Tokyo. The whole store basically ended up being fairly expensive, on par with a Nordstrom or something.

Are other Japanese stores with locations in the US like this as well? For example, is stuff cheaper at Uniqlo at their Japan locations vs the US? I'm wondering if I'm going to have to buy a few suitcases and load up on my shopping when I go there.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
If an eraser listed as JPY 70 in a Muji store in Japan was sold at anything other than JPY 70, I think we would have heard about it by now, and my guess Muji wouldn't be a going concern.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by codex57
Are other Japanese stores with locations in the US like this as well? For example, is stuff cheaper at Uniqlo at their Japan locations vs the US? I'm wondering if I'm going to have to buy a few suitcases and load up on my shopping when I go there.
Chalk it up as the cost of shipping those products across the Pacific. Here are some data points:

Daiso, one of the largest 100 yen store chains, sells their goods at $1.50 and up.

Kula Sushi, a 100 yen conveyor sushi chains, sells sushi at $2.25 per plate. Plus tip.

Uniqlo has much smaller price premium in America. Be mindful of the size difference between America and Japan (and rest of Asia). An American M size is a L size over there.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msb0b
Chalk it up as the cost of shipping those products across the Pacific. Here are some data points:

Daiso, one of the largest 100 yen store chains, sells their goods at $1.50 and up.

Kula Sushi, a 100 yen conveyor sushi chains, sells sushi at $2.25 per plate. Plus tip.

Uniqlo has much smaller price premium in America. Be mindful of the size difference between America and Japan (and rest of Asia). An American M size is a L size over there.
Very helpful, thanks. I understand there's a cost to shipping, but double the cost of the good seems... high. Maybe it just feels that way because I see the nicely printed Yen price label on the good with a cheap sign showing the American price.

At least it's nice to know that there are good deals to be had in Japan. I'll just bring more luggage back than I originally expected to.

Would you say that the Uniqlo size difference is fairly representative for other stores as well? So if I'm a M in America, I should completely forget about size M in Japan and just ask for L or XL?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:18 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Muji definitely charges way more outside of Japan, ditto for Daiso. They did this when the Yen was in the range of 70-80 to the dollar, and they kept the premium when the Yen went weak to 125. Pocketing extra profit is good for them evidently.

I travel to Japan regularly so I just avoid buying Muji outside of Japan. Most folks probably don't have this option.

As to Uniqlo, the challenge is that not many stores in Japan carry western sizes. The only reliable store I have found in Tokyo that does is their main store in Ginza -- and even then, not too many items.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by codex57
Very helpful, thanks. I understand there's a cost to shipping, but double the cost of the good seems... high. Maybe it just feels that way because I see the nicely printed Yen price label on the good with a cheap sign showing the American price.
Try comparing it using a JP->US reshipping service and small Muji purchases in US seem almost reasonable. Especially on liquids which can be heavier for the spatial volume**. Muji Yurakucho also offers tax free exemptions at a separate counter. Muji To Go Kitte offers more of the travel goods (am also told they have tax free).

JINS eyewear is less expensive in Japan and offers tax free. The supplemental lenses cost less in Japan, too. JINS US has western fit and asian fit frames which may not be immediately obvious. JINS JP has larger selection/variety of asian fit which can have a larger nose bridge (so it sits further from the face if you're used to western fit). JINS US receipt is easier to submit for US vision insurance reimbursement if you're eligible. JINS in Yodobashi Akihabara had an English speaking staffer, as did Zoff at Marui Yurakucho and a few other shops around Ginza and Akihbara. Receipts are largely in Japanese.

Uniqlo US on a good sale can be cheaper than JP. Uniqlo US doesn't have the full JP clothing line, though, and GU is even less expensive if you're ok with Asian fit.

** Drugstore skincare & cosmetics can be a good deal via Amazon.co.jp, Donki, and electronic stores but do account for the volume, weight, and use by date. Some skincare only costs $4/5 more via Amazon Prime US or eBay and you won't be risking leakage in your checked luggage or stockpiling past a good freshness date. As far as whiskey, there's a thread for that https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japa...e-whiskey.html
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:28 pm

I love Muji for certain things, and I go to one on most of my trips to Jpn. I did not know that Muji had expanded to the US until I came across one of their stores at JFK. I was dumbfounded that they just left the Japanese labels on their products, with no American labels/explanations whatsoever. A lot of their stuff is not apparent as to what it actually is without an explanation. How are American people supposed to know what they are? I didn't think about the price on the label, but it makes it all the dumber to just leave the Japnese label on with price in yen intact. This was a few years ago that I came across this, so I'm not sure if things have changed, but apparently they haven't based on what the OP is saying. Muji should make the effort to stick American labels (with Japanese prices omitted) for items sold in America.

Btw, imho I think their food/tea products are really mediocre and poor value. I've not tried a lot of their skin products and toiletries, but the ones I've tried have been mediocre. What I do like about Muji is their utensils and also that they sell a lot of things that make for nice-looking gifts.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Related:

MUJI Hotel and MUJI world flagship store is to open in Ginza, Tokyo in 2019.

source in にほんご
http://bg-mania.jp/2017/07/05212016.html
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Muji recently opened their 4th location in Toronto. Bought 2 bowls for CAD 7.2 each (after 20%off), sticker price 700 yen. Cheaper than in Japan!

Other bowls and plates are like up to double the yen price.

A few items have multi-currency price stickers.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:21 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by evergrn
I was dumbfounded that they just left the Japanese labels on their products, with no American labels/explanations whatsoever. A lot of their stuff is not apparent as to what it actually is without an explanation. How are American people supposed to know what they are? I didn't think about the price on the label, but it makes it all the dumber to just leave the Japnese label on with price in yen intact. This was a few years ago that I came across this, so I'm not sure if things have changed, but apparently they haven't based on what the OP is saying. Muji should make the effort to stick American labels (with Japanese prices omitted) for items sold in America.
lol. If Americans don't know what something is, then they won't buy it, and the Muji stores will go out of business. As they keep expanding, evidently people are still buying things despite not knowing what they are and getting "ripped off" because they expect free shipping across the Pacific (not necessarily from Japan).

Even in Hong Kong, the local prices vary anywhere from the same to double the yen price on the sticker.

It's often cheaper to buy electronics from Amazon in Europe (including shipping and sales taxes of ~20%) than in China where they are manufactured.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by O Sora
Related:

MUJI Hotel and MUJI world flagship store is to open in Ginza, Tokyo in 2019.

source in にほんご
http://bg-mania.jp/2017/07/05212016.html
Muji Yurakucho (the current flagship) just re-opened at the end of July 2017
http://www.spoon-tamago.com/2017/07/...retail-heaven/

Muji took over Loft's former space on the left. Loft moved a few blocks over towards Ginza
3-6F Ginzavelviakan, 2-4-6 Ginza, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, 104-0061
Map & Sign: https://goo.gl/maps/k82FzSPbENL2
https://goo.gl/maps/BTQDb8qePLv
Old Aug 5, 2017, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Sometimes they have in season sales from 10-20% off and then end of season stuff on sale for 20-50% off and you can always claim duty free as a foreigner in Japan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.