Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

5 days in Hokkaido without a car, what to do/see?

5 days in Hokkaido without a car, what to do/see?

Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by redleader74
... I'll also look into the book Japan by Rail recommended in an earlier post, along with various weblinks that were shared.
I also did a fair amount of my advanced planning using "Japan Solo" but I think that is out of print now. Any good guide book for Japan will be helpful in finding things to do in the various locations. Since I speak a moderate amount of Japanese, I could free-wheel it when I got places. Without that, it might pay to know a bit more in advance. English is still common at hotels and such out in the sticks but much less so than places like Tokyo or Kyoto. Having things like destinations and tourist site written out will be helpful once you get outside Sapporo and Hakodate.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Hakodate Goodwill Guide Association

We were in Hakodate last month and used the services of a volunteer guide from the Hakodate Goodwill Guide Association.

There is a nominal charge of 3,000 yen per group and you also agree to pay for your guide's meals (usually lunch) and any local transportation costs. The guide will contact you by email before your trip to determine your interests and preferences. Our guide was [redacted] and she was wonderful. We really enjoyed getting to know her and to see the sights of Hakodate through the eyes of a local

Their website is https://hakodategoodwill.wixsite.com/hakodatesgg and you can reach them by email:<[email protected]>. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Last edited by Orlando Vic; Jul 9, 2017 at 1:14 pm Reason: Redacted name per FT rule 2
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I have a couple of day stops in Otaru and Hakodate (on a TPAC repo cruise) in the latter half of September. Any suggestions as to natural/outdoor onsens or hot springs on can get to easily?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I have a couple of day stops in Otaru and Hakodate (on a TPAC repo cruise) in the latter half of September. Any suggestions as to natural/outdoor onsens or hot springs on can get to easily?
Yunokawa Onsen is the eastern terminus of Hakodate's trolley line. So that's easily accessible from Hakodate.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by evergrn
Yunokawa Onsen is the eastern terminus of Hakodate's trolley line. So that's easily accessible from Hakodate.
I saw that one but was a little confused. I take it it isn't one facility but there's a choice of several? Just find the one you like to go to?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I saw that one but was a little confused. I take it it isn't one facility but there's a choice of several? Just find the one you like to go to?
That's right. It's an onsen area with numerous hotels/ryokans that have onsen baths. Some of them open up their onsen facilities to non-guests for day use (for small fees). There's also an ashiyu (foot onsen) close to the trolley stop.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.