Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip to Japan Xmas 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Trip to Japan Xmas 2017

We are a family of 4 ( 2 adults, 6 yr old and 1 yr old) planning to visit Japan for the first time between 12/24/2017 (arriving in NRT) and 12/30/2017(still working on return flights). I would love to hear suggestions for things to see and travel within Japan to make good use of our time but also be mindful that we may not be able to do everything with 2 kids included in the trip. Thanks in advance

Last edited by Stivelio; May 29, 2017 at 6:16 am
Old May 27, 2017, 4:50 pm

Christmas - eat KFC

for just 6-8 days, I'd just stay in Tokyo and do a couple of day trips/theme parks (disneysea/land/hello kitty/edo wonderland, Kamakura/Yokohama/Nikko)

not worth going to osaka/kyoto

HND is better located than NRT, if you can make it happen

Jan 1st (new year) festivals can be busy, but avoidable
Old May 27, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I disagree with the post above, I think it's worth going to Kyoto/Osaka. You have eight full days excluding arrival and departure days. Ideally, you would fly into Tokyo and then out of Osaka. Kyoto is less than three hours away from Tokyo by train. Kyoto and Osaka are just 30 minutes apart by train so you can base yourself in one and visit the other, you don't need to move hotels between them.

A lot of things in Tokyo will be closed on January 1-2, so I'd recommend visiting Tokyo for 4-5 days and then spend 3-4 days in Kyoto/Osaka. Kyoto is magnificent it would be a shame to visit Japan and not see it, and you have plenty of time.
Old May 27, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Unlike many countries, New Year's is a family holiday, the one everyone is
"supposed" to go home for, so don't expect a lot of public celebration.

One of the traditions is to go to a Shinto shrine at midnight on New Year's Eve and pray for good luck in the coming year, but otherwise, it's mostly a home-based celebration.

The country used to more or less shut down January 1, 2, and 3, but the arrival of convenience stores changed that. Still, you may find many stores and restaurants closed, even museums, but temples and shrines will be open, as well as hotels, of course.

Christmas Eve, on the other hand, is the big night for nightlife and romantic evenings with one's significant other, while Christmas Day is just another day.

December as a whole is a busy time for restaurants and bars, as companies and organizations have their bounenkai ("forget the year" parties). Giving Christmas gifts is not a tradition (children receive money on New Year's Day), but people give end-of-the-year presents to people to whom they owe favors according to the Japanese social system.

The English-language press (you will find English-language newspapers at most newsstands in Tokyo and Kyoto) has listings of events that are open to the public.

But you have plenty of time to buy and read a guidebook, and it will tell you about annual events that occur during the time of your visit.
Old May 27, 2017, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksandness
Unlike many countries, New Year's is a family holiday, the one everyone is
"supposed" to go home for, so don't expect a lot of public celebration.

One of the traditions is to go to a Shinto shrine at midnight on New Year's Eve and pray for good luck in the coming year, but otherwise, it's mostly a home-based celebration.

The country used to more or less shut down January 1, 2, and 3, but the arrival of convenience stores changed that. Still, you may find many stores and restaurants closed, even museums, but temples and shrines will be open, as well as hotels, of course.

Christmas Eve, on the other hand, is the big night for nightlife and romantic evenings with one's significant other, while Christmas Day is just another day.

December as a whole is a busy time for restaurants and bars, as companies and organizations have their bounenkai ("forget the year" parties). Giving Christmas gifts is not a tradition (children receive money on New Year's Day), but people give end-of-the-year presents to people to whom they owe favors according to the Japanese social system.

The English-language press (you will find English-language newspapers at most newsstands in Tokyo and Kyoto) has listings of events that are open to the public.

But you have plenty of time to buy and read a guidebook, and it will tell you about annual events that occur during the time of your visit.
yeah we are not specifically looking for places with lot of public celebration. Just wish to visit a new place and spend time with my kids and wife in peace away from work and phone
Old May 27, 2017, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Christmas - eat KFC

for just 6-8 days, I'd just stay in Tokyo and do a couple of day trips/theme parks (disneysea/land/hello kitty/edo wonderland, Kamakura/Yokohama/Nikko)

not worth going to osaka/kyoto

HND is better located than NRT, if you can make it happen

Jan 1st (new year) festivals can be busy, but avoidable
cool. Appreciate the useful tips for places to see with kids.
Old May 27, 2017, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I disagree with the post above, I think it's worth going to Kyoto/Osaka. You have eight full days excluding arrival and departure days. Ideally, you would fly into Tokyo and then out of Osaka. Kyoto is less than three hours away from Tokyo by train. Kyoto and Osaka are just 30 minutes apart by train so you can base yourself in one and visit the other, you don't need to move hotels between them.

A lot of things in Tokyo will be closed on January 1-2, so I'd recommend visiting Tokyo for 4-5 days and then spend 3-4 days in Kyoto/Osaka. Kyoto is magnificent it would be a shame to visit Japan and not see it, and you have plenty of time.
i think we will definitely spend more days in Tonya mostly and then try to visit some of the other places as u suggested
Old May 28, 2017, 1:44 am

Not sure what you plan to make out of this trip. Do you want this trip to be all about your kids (while trying to do as many things as possible that both adults and the child can enjoy), or do you want it to be about what you and your spouse enjoy?

Anyways, I will assume the former. Traveling with a 6yo & 1yo will be quite different than with a 6yo & a 4yo. Your plan will cater to the 6yo, but it'll be limited by the 1yo. Because of your 1yo, you'll have to think about how you're going to roam around with him/her (stroller? ergo only?), stay away from super-crowded places (avoid rush-hour trains), and be back to the hotel early each day. At least that's how it was for us.

Having said that, some ideas...
- Tokyo Sky Tree
- Asakusa: the temple and the shops lining the streets that lead up to it.
- Yokohama: walk from Sakuragicho through Minatomirai, World Porters, Red Brick complex, seaside promenade to Yamashita Park, then Chinatown (be sure to stop by for the ferris wheel ride along the way).
- Hakkeijima Sea Paradise
- Onsen (recommend Hakone)
- ride bullet train somewhere
- Tokyo Disney Sea/Land (will be crowded, but around 26 Dec may be your best bet)
- just try lots of food. Visit basement deli sections of department stores. With a 1yo, your best bet would be department store and mall restaurants, mall restaurants, and places like Kani Doraku that have koshitsu (private rooms). Imo small independent ramen places and sushi bars are not conducive to having a toddler in tow.

You definitely could swing over to Kyoto for a couple days if you so choose. Up to you.

I would skip the Kitty land (Sanrio Puraland) unless your 6yo is crazy about Hello Kitty. Take away the boat ride and the noontime parade show, and the whole place was not even that interesting to my kids who love Sanrio stuff. Plus it's not easy to get to.

Many major attractions are actually open on New Years Day, including Sky Tree. Most department stores close on 1 Jan only, reopen on 2 Jan. But some are even open on 1 Jan (eg, Seibu, Parco, Pepe... all Seibu group stores).
Old May 28, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
We traveled this time last year, and spent New Year's Eve in Miyajima. They have a fire festival that was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for us, and on New Year's Day you can visit the shrine with all of the Japanese people and see how they celebrate the new year. There's also a lovely cable car/hike to the top of Mount Misen, and the famous Itsukushima Shrine with its floating tori gate. Our ryokan suggested a fantastic (and affordable) tapas restaurant for lunch, which was amazing--and half empty even though the island is packed. This island also has the small deer that Nara is so famous for. This island does NOT shut down NYE/NY Day like lots of other places in Japan, because of the location of the number of Japanese that come to the island to visit the shrines, starting at midnight. If you choose to do this, we can highly recommend Watanabe Inn, if they're not booked up already. Pricey but totally worth it for the authentic ryokan experience and location outside of the touristy area in Miyajima.

If you did NYE in Miyajima (train from Tokyo, then ferry), you could move to Hiroshima (if interested in the atomic bomb history, sites are open on New Year's Day) or Osaka/Kyoto on New Year's Day, and then fly out of KIX instead of Tokyo.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:27 pm

Your young kids will likely get tired and overexcited easily, so you'll have to measure your destinations and pacing to enjoy things together. Keeping to just the Tokyo region will cut down on possible kiddy complaints and costs. They will have a mind-blowing time already when riding the trains and seeing bright new thingies, while people all around them talk in Japanese.

I would recommend that you bring the kids around the stroller-friendly malls and exhibits at Odaiba every few days, where there are a lot of kiddie attractions and decent food options. If you can arrange for return flights via Osaka/KIX, Kyoto will be a refreshing change that's best experienced with at least two nights. Just remember to slow things down (or leave wife with the kids back in the hotel) when they start looking a bit put out, especially at the mid-point of your trip.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I agree with few posters mentioning that Christmas and New Year’s is different from rest of the year and it is different from way Europe and the U.S celebrate Christmas and New Year’s.

When traveling with small kids I do emphasize that Christmas and New Year’s is busy travel time in Japan, transportation will be very busy. As ksandness mentioned that New Year’s is religious event spent with family in Japan and many travel to be with family. New Year’s is busy travel time along with Golden Week in May and Obon in August. Trains will be busy often sell out in advance, may require some planning when traveling with small kids.

Christmas is major commercial event in Japan, not religious, and most restaurants will be very busy. New Year’s starts on December 31, many businesses start to close on afternoon. Usually January 1 – 3 is New Year’s celebration and many business closes. Most sushi restaurant closes during this time because fish market is closed. evergrn mentioned about some department stores open during New Year’s. However, past few years there is a trend of getting back and giving employees time off with family, including some department stores has decided to take that approach past few years. For New Year’s 2018 has to wait till which business decide to open during Jan. 1-3.

If you stay at a hotel, often hotel restaurants get busy during New Year’s, some strictly reservation only. Reason is local people know hotel restaurants are one that can count on open during New Year’s if they want to eat out.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful tips. Do you have any recommendations on any SPG or Hyatt property in Tokyo that would be good choice in terms of location?
Old May 28, 2017, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Stivelio
Thanks for all the helpful tips. Do you have any recommendations on any SPG or Hyatt property in Tokyo that would be good choice in terms of location?
I'm not familiar with all the SPG properties and there may be more properties than I'm aware of. But cross off Miyako and Sheraton Tokyo Bay. Where Westin is is okay, but I'd probably rather stay at Hyatt Regency in Shinjuku, based on location and value. Shinjuku is just convenient for getting to anywhere and also for going to hakone . I do not know your budget, but for me Park Hyatt and Grand Hyatt Tokyo are unaffordable, let alone for that many nights. Ditto for Andaz. Depending on your agenda, staying in Yokohama might work out just fine. In that case, Sheraton Yokohama is probably the most convenient hotel out of those two groups that I can think of purely in terms of immediate proximity to a major station and shopping/dining. So for me, it would come down to Hyatt Regency or Sheraton Yokohama.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
I'm not familiar with all the SPG properties and there may be more properties than I'm aware of. But cross off Miyako and Sheraton Tokyo Bay. Where Westin is is okay, but I'd probably rather stay at Hyatt Regency in Shinjuku, based on location and value. Shinjuku is just convenient for getting to anywhere and also for going to hakone . I do not know your budget, but for me Park Hyatt and Grand Hyatt Tokyo are unaffordable, let alone for that many nights. Ditto for Andaz. Depending on your agenda, staying in Yokohama might work out just fine. In that case, Sheraton Yokohama is probably the most convenient hotel out of those two groups that I can think of purely in terms of immediate proximity to a major station and shopping/dining. So for me, it would come down to Hyatt Regency or Sheraton Yokohama.
i wouldn't be able to afford any of these by myself if I didn't have credit card points to redeem. So if I could book andaz or park Hyatt or Grand Hyatt Tokyo would you still recommend regency of yokohoma as you mentioned with regards to proximity to the station and shopping/dining?
Old May 28, 2017, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Stivelio
i wouldn't be able to afford any of these by myself if I didn't have credit card points to redeem. So if I could book andaz or park Hyatt or Grand Hyatt Tokyo would you still recommend regency of yokohoma as you mentioned with regards to proximity to the station and shopping/dining?
Just to be sure, Hyatt Regency is in Shinjuku and I was saying that it'd be either Hyatt Regency (Shinjuku) or Sheraton Yokohama if it were up to me. I'd also consider Westin if the price is right, although I don't think it usually is.

Just comparing different Hyatt properties, Hyatt Regency is the best location-wise when factoring in the distance from a major station (and that station being Shinjuku which is really one of the top 2 hubs in Tokyo) as well as the breadth of shopping and dining that are available within walking distance. Having said that, if the four Hyatt properties were available at same cost, HR would definitely be the last on my ranking... no matter the location factor. But I think that pretty much goes without saying. Park Hyatt and presumably Andaz (I've never been to Andaz Tokyo) are in a completely different league, and those are places you stay at for the pure enjoyment of the hotel experience.

Btw, it's not like Hyatt Regency's location is that great, either. It's a good 10-minute walk from Shinjuku Station. I'd say 12-20 minutes from lobby to train platform (depending on which train) without getting lost. They have shuttle bus service to the station, but I personally wouldn't like to be tethered to shuttle bus schedule.

Last edited by evergrn; May 29, 2017 at 9:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.