Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

First time 24 hours in Japan. Recommendations?

First time 24 hours in Japan. Recommendations?

Old May 27, 2017, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, AA EXP, UA Gold
Originally Posted by FlitBen
You can't go wrong so long as you're close to Shibuya station. That round-trip promo is good as it includes all connecting rides on local JR trains until you exit the turnstiles. The next day, you could use this benefit to board a Yamanote line train at Harajuku after lunch, then transfer to the NEX airport train at either Shibuya or Tokyo Station.

For a snack upon arrival at Shibuya, walk up the pedestrian street from the famous crossing. There are many quick options along the way like Genki Sushi or Ichiran ramen. Look for the Pablo cheese cakes. Or you can just get tasty rice items at any Lawson or Family Mart before checking in at your hotel.

For stuff around Tokyo Station, get to the main concourse then head one level down to the "First Avenue" basement complex. Ikaruga has some of the best ramen, there are many others.
Thank you so much for you posts FlitBen, I replied on your previous post as well but it somehow got tagged for moderator approval.
Old May 27, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I know I am nit-picking, but ramen is not yoshoku (洋食), ramen is chuuka (中華).
But curry, which originated in Asia, is yoshoku (洋食), right?
So confusing.
Old May 27, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by VoiD
Omurice
The family restaurants are the purveyors of Omurice and other yoshoku. For example: Royal Host and Denny's

You can also get omurice at certain maid cafes that model themselves after family restaurants.
Old May 27, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I've also seen omurice in many combinis
Old May 28, 2017, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by VoiD
Thank you so much for you posts FlitBen, I replied on your previous post as well but it somehow got tagged for moderator approval.
It's good that you will be experiencing Tokyo even for a day. Try asking the others here for sushi recommendations.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by jib71
But curry, which originated in Asia, is yoshoku (洋食), right?
So confusing.
Hmmm… I had to give a little thought about this… Is curry called yoshoku (洋食)? Come to think about it, curry rice used to be an item served at yoshokuya (洋食屋, yoshoku restaurant).

My thinking is this. Japanese has become more sophisticated these days, so as other people but when I came across self-proclaimed sophisticated New Yorker who being to exotic places and talk sophisticated food tell me Japanese meal = California roll…

Anyhow, back in ‘50s and ’60 average Japanese considered three basic food group when eating out. One is washoku (和食) or Japanese food, second is chuka (中華) or Chinese food, and third is yoshoku (洋食) which was everything else. I think in old days if it was not Japanese nor Chinese food then it was simply yoshoku (洋食).

I think also it may had something to do with how curry was introduced in Japan. One of oldest document dating back on 1870 Japanese physicist Kenjiro Yamakawa studied at a college in the U.S. and during the journey on a ship to the U.S. he encountered curry in onboard meal.

Cooking book published on 1872 in Japan had curry listed on a recipe, the title of the book was “Seiyo Ryori Tsu” (西洋料理通), Seiyo Ryori = Western dish. Then on 1873 Japanese army cadet school (yes, back then Japan had military not “Self Defense Force” that Japan has now, but let’s not get into OMNI ) introduced Rice Curry on Saturday lunch. Back then military was considered Western (European) concept.

1876 Dr. William Clark arrived at Sapporo from Massachusetts, U.S. and opened first university in Japan, Sapporo Agricultural School, current Hokkaido University. Dr. Clark operated the school in all Western format, all classes were in English and meals served were all Western dish. Rice curry was served at this school. However, some dispute this as oldest document at Hokkaido University date back to 1877 curry served at their school…. One year difference, but this argue if Dr. Clark had anything do with curry in Japan or not.

Dr. Clark was third president of Massachusetts Agricultural College (current University of Massachusetts Amherst, my PhD alma mater ^) and served as a president of first university in Japan at current Hokkaido University (my dad’s PhD alma mater ^). So, this is my favorite topic! Upon leaving Sapporo Dr. Clark said to his fellow Japanese students, “Boy, be ambitious!” and the phrase「少年よ、大志を抱け」is popular and well known phrase in Japan. However, story has it that Dr. Clark actually said “Boys, be ambitious like this old man” possibly reference more reserve way of personality in Japan and told his follow Japanese students to be more open, creative, and challenge on their own.

Anyway, when curry came to Japan it had a lot to do with European and the U.S. related background, not India. Hence, curry started in Japan as “Western” thing and being served in yoshokuya (洋食屋).
Old May 28, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
... Upon leaving Sapporo Dr. Clark said to his fellow Japanese students, “Boy, be ambitious!” and the phrase「少年よ、大志を抱け」is popular and well known phrase in Japan. ...
And then indirectly led to one of the stranger manga and anime shows of the 80s - the inexplicably named "Boys Be."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.