Wiki Posts
Search

First Time in Okinawa

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
First Time in Okinawa

I'm 33 American visiting with my friends from Seoul for four full days first week of August. I see it's peak season so resorts are a ridiculous 500 USD plus a night.

We are looking at AirBnB and it seems they are scattered all over. Is there one area that is better than others for hopping around to other beaches or day trips? We will be renting a car.

It also seems these areas are literally tiny towns in the middle of nowhere, so we will even be doing a lot of cooking and home drinking.

We do plan to stay in Naha the first night as we arrive at like 6:30-7:30 PM. Our last day flight is at 1:30 so that's just wake up and head out.

Also if anyone can recommend any good restaurants or bars, please do! We have all been to Tokyo and Osaka countless times so the "novelty" of Japan isn't so much important haha. Just GOOD times!
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:31 pm

First time for me in Okinawa, as well.

Going to Okinawa in July for the first time, as well.
4 nights. Day 0, we arrive ~11pm.
Then we have days 1, 2, 3.
Day 4, I don't know what time we're leaving yet. Probably mid-day.

I just want R&R. At this point of my life, I'm too lazy for sightseeing. I think my wife would like a bit of sightseeing, but then she actually doesn't know what she wants either.
I would like to go to the beach and maybe do a guided snorkel (or some other marine sports) tour.
Since we have kids, I suppose we have to take them somewhere for sightseeing, but I've skimmed through the Okinawa guidebook and nothing (asides from beach) looks interesting. I think our kids will manage to find most anything interesting regardless of where we take them.

I'd like to stay at Hilton. If their rates come down, we'll stay there. We'll mostly just stay at the resort, although there's this thing called American Village next to the hotel which can serve as a good diversion. Plus one half-day, we'll go check out some beach on the island. Another half-day, we'll do a snorkeling tour which I hope Hilton can organize for us.

More likely, though, we're stuck staying at Doubletree Naha. This hotel is nowhere near the beach. The hotel does not even have a pool. So it's a major problem. If we're stuck with DT, we'll have to figure out things to do outside the hotel everyday. Ideas include:
- two different beaches on the island.
- snorkeling tour once (but I doubt DT can actually organize this for us, unlike Hilton which is full-service resort with concierge)
- Okinawa World
- plus each day I'd imagine we'll be hanging out on Kokusai-dori which is a shopping street in Naha.

Actually, Renaissance looks really cool. But then the rates are too high there and I won't get any elite benefits. So it won't work. But at Renaissance, you actually get to play with dolphins. I'm sure you have to pay for it. Maybe if you stay there, you get a discount on that? I'm not sure. The hotel's beach looks very nice, too. It's really too bad the place is so expensive and I have no status with Marriott.

Questions:
- What are the best beaches on the island? So far, I've got Emerald Beach, Araha Beach, Okuma Beach.
- How do these beaches compare to Hawaii? I don't expect them to match the best ones in Hawaii, but I would hope they're about the same or better than Waikiki.
- Any can't-miss attractions for kids? If we were to pick one, is there anything better than Okinawa World?
- It seems like you have to have a car on Okinawa Honto if you want to get to the beach. How is driving in Okinawa? How does it compare to, say, Hokkaido or rural Kyushu?

To Laplap: I know you are going soon with your child. What's on our plan? If you're going in spring, won't the water be too cold at the beaches?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Too cold? Hah! Warmest the sea gets in the UK at the height of the summer is 18C. You can't get my kid out of the water from May onwards. 21/22C for middle April is going to be wonderful! Am just about to get a short wetsuit for us from eBay so we can spend longer floating, but that's as much to protect us from sunburn as against the cold.

None of my party drive and the cost of getting anywhere around Okinawa by bus racks up quickly. LapGirl and her Granddad both love hiking, and I don't doubt that the little one will want to spend every moment possible in the water gazing at the sealife. We're just going to Zamami, perhaps a day visit to Akajima. Plenty to do for three nights.
Then a night by the ocean in Naha, getting two rooms at the Naha Beachside will feel luxurious after sharing on Zamami, a full morning at the Senagajima onsen followed by lunch, and back to OKA for a 4:30pm flight.
After a week of thick snow in central London seems incredible we'll get this chance to preview the summer.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:52 pm

So you won't even spend that much time on the main island then. I'd never even heard of Zamami or Aka island. Just googled it to see where they're located, and indeed they're on my little guidebook. Beaches look beautiful on Zamami island. Alas no Hilton there. Wonder if I can do a day trip there from Naha. Only an hour by ferry, says my guidebook.

Actually I knew that one could see swimming deer (deer swimming across the sea) somewhere in Okinawa, and I now see that it's Aka island. Hope you get to see that, maybe swim with deer.

For me, going into 21/22C water is unthinkable. You are very hardy. For me, 25C is about the limit, ideally >28C.

Hope you have wonderful time in Okinawa.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, evergrn!
The Ferry schedule for boats to Zamami is pretty patchy this April, but the high speed cruisers are up and running. If there are five of you you could go to or from Zamami by chartering a helicopter for 12,000yen each each way. (Regular price on the fast ferry is 3,000 yen and journey takes 50 or 70 minutes.
alternatively, there's Tokashigi Island which is only 30 minutes away (chopper charter presumably a little less too).
Had attempted to go to Ishigaki or Miyako islands to cut out reliance on a ferry, but I'm really glad now that that wasn't possible. Zamami seems to offer EXACTLY what I wanted, a place for my daughter and her grandfather to bond over common interests and passions.
LapChild has spent hours and hours submerged in England's Blackwater Estuary. Her grandfather grew up collecting oysters in Matsushima Bay (he's a fantastic rower).
One of my husband's cousins spent a few days recently at Okinawa's Onna Beach. He'd landed a bed and breakfast deal at the Best Western for 4,000yen a night. It looked lovely, but the resort experience wasn't what I was after - although we're flirting with this kind of experience at Senagajima on our last day.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:57 pm

I also looked into Ishigaki/Miyako Island, but it was going to cost too much.
The cheapest transport (slower ferry) to/ Zamami Island from Naha will cost 12,000yen return for the whole family. Kind of a lot for a day trip, but I'll definitely keep that in mind and may give it a go depending on the weather, any further feedback on the main island beaches, etc.
You must really get on well with your father-in-law (correct?) to plan a trip like that. That's really great.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn
I also looked into Ishigaki/Miyako Island, but it was going to cost too much.
The cheapest transport (slower ferry) to/ Zamami Island from Naha will cost 12,000yen return for the whole family. Kind of a lot for a day trip, but I'll definitely keep that in mind and may give it a go depending on the weather, any further feedback on the main island beaches, etc.
You must really get on well with your father-in-law (correct?) to plan a trip like that. That's really great.
Don't forget Tokashiki Island is 9,460 for two adults and two kids and the slower ferry is only 70 minutes.
I'd suggest that for your first Kerama Islands day trip.
If you really like it, you can contemplate slumming it overnight in accommodation in Zamami or Akajima on a future trip. Alternatively, there's lodging on Tokashikijima itself which is a little more upscale, you could resort to that and go to Zamami for a day trip from there.

I flirted with the idea of going to the onsen resort on Kume jima. But only for a moment. The call of Zamami is just irresistible. Have you looked at Kume Island? Might suit your needs (although I'd keep a close eye on the wave forecasts beforehand - the journey there could be something to enjoy or endure)
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:38 am

I've looked at the map of Tokashiki briefly, but it seems the best beaches there are too far to walk from the ferry. Zamami apparently has a very nice beach within walking distance from the ferry. I had not even considered Kume Island. You're right, it seems very nice. Didn't even know such place existed near Naha. But it sounds like it will still require an overnight trip (unless I fly) and, as silly as this may sound, I don't think I have the energy to overhaul our plans that much. I'm just not good at planning a visit to a place I haven't been before. You probably have researched Okinawa 10x as much as me. I just booked Okinawa because my wife wanted to check it out. But I want to keep the cost down while still staying in nice places, and I'm hopelessly tethered to Hilton. So on those premises, by default we're going to the main island. Beyond that, I hadn't planned anything until I started thinking recently about what we're supposed to do if we're stuck at the Doubletree Naha. But I'm hoping that the beaches on the main island meet our expectations. If not, then Zamami still seems like the best day-trip option beach-wise. If anyone has any feedback on Okinawa main island beaches, I'd like to hear.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
We're having a DO there in a few weeks, consider following the thread to see where we're staying and what we're doing (activities not finalised yet) for some ideas! ^
Japan Do #6 - Naha (Okinawa) - March 29-31 2018
LapLap likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"You probably have researched Okinawa 10x as much as me."
Not really, as soon as I saw how much it cost to go anywhere on the main island I stopped looking!
Ruled out Ishigaki and Miyako islands as they cost 10,000Avios each way instead of 7,500 from Tokyo
This was more of a bish, bash, bosh job.
Looked up hiking (bish!), looked up onsen (hence the kumejima/ojima flirtation - bash) and then realised snorkelling was on the table (bosh! - Zamami!!)
The rest is just refining the details.
Once at Naha, the cost per adult per day for 5 days including accommodation, ferry travel, monorail, breakfasts, dinners as well as an onsen admission and all you can eat lunch is 7,000yen.
I am fully satisfied with all the choices that had to be renounced to arrive at this one. A hackett knife can be your best friend in the tropics!
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
We're having a DO there in a few weeks, consider following the thread to see where we're staying and what we're doing (activities not finalised yet) for some ideas! ^
Japan Do #6 - Naha (Okinawa) - March 29-31 2018
That's great. Have fun! Looked through some of the posts with great interest, esp the info from Wrath of Khan.

Originally Posted by LapLap
Looked up hiking (bish!), looked up onsen (hence the kumejima/ojima flirtation - bash) and then realised snorkelling was on the table (bosh! - Zamami!!)
bish bash bosh... I love it!
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just discovered another reason to visit Kumejima in April/early May - fireflies!

https://www.visitokinawa.jp/destinat.../kumejima-fire
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At Akajima (and I would presume Zamami) the time for fireflies seems to be mid May to early summer (late June?)
http://www.okinawainfo.net/kerama/aka3.htm​​​​​​​
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
My husband and I would like to go to Hacksaw Ridge and the nearby castle as well as the Underground Japanese naval installation. We'd also like to do a tour of Naha. We will be on a cruise ship that stops near Naha at Nagakusuku on April 29th around 8:30. We'd like to be back at the pier at 4 PM. Does anyone know a guide that we could hire who speaks decent English. It would be great if they have a car, but we are also open to touring on public transportation. I haven't been able to find a guide for the day through most traditional resources, Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by konaflyer
My husband and I would like to go to Hacksaw Ridge and the nearby castle as well as the Underground Japanese naval installation. We'd also like to do a tour of Naha. We will be on a cruise ship that stops near Naha at Nagakusuku on April 29th around 8:30. We'd like to be back at the pier at 4 PM. Does anyone know a guide that we could hire who speaks decent English. It would be great if they have a car, but we are also open to touring on public transportation. I haven't been able to find a guide for the day through most traditional resources, Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
I would expect the cruise company to arrange some tours of the local sites, but if you want to strike out alone, you could try Okito Taxi Group - It looks like they may have English speaking drivers who can provide a sightseeing tour:
https://en.okito.or.jp/taxi/
You could also try the association of privately owned taxis - and ask if any of their members is capable of doing a tour in English:
https://www.islandlifeconcierge.com/...htseeing-taxis
Public transportation might get you to Naha and back (across the island) but I doubt that you can easily get to battle sites and the like by public transport - particularly when you consider your time constraints.
LapLap likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.