Wiki Posts
Search

Help! Japan itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Help! Japan itinerary

All,

We're leaving for Japan for our honeymoon in 5 days for a 2 week trip and have one open day. Looking for some advice.

This is my plan so far -
4/30 - 5/4 Tokyo including day trip to Nikko
5/4 - 5/8 Kyoto including day trip to Nara
5/8 - 5/9 - Osaka
5/9 - 5/11 - Ryokan in Hakone
5/11 - 5/12 ***Open ***
5/12 - 5/14 more Tokyo

So I have day one open day between hakone and tokyo. What are my best options? Currently I'm looking at Kawaguchiko. Not sure if it's too similar to Hakone? Or Yokohama? but that doesn't seem to show up on anyone's plans.

Appreciate your expert advice!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:12 pm

Have you looked into the town of Himeji? It's a short train ride from Osaka. And the castle is amazing.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Yes, but my Hakone dates are fixed. The ryokan we wanted was only available on those dates. So going back south would not be ideal.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: Dirt
You will be travelling during Golden Week (29APR-7MAY). Good luck with the crowd and reservations.

I don't see the point of changing your lodging from Kyoto to Osaka. The two cities are close enough. Trains only take 20-30 min to travel between them.

Near Hakone you also have Izu Peninsula, Atami and Kamakura/Enoshima. They are near the Pacific Ocean if you want a change of scenery from the mountains (Nikko, Hakone, Kawaguchi-ko).
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Welcome to FlyerTalk and congratulations on your wedding.

As another poster has already posted, unfortunately, your travel to Japan coincides with Golden Week in Japan, one of the most busy travel period in Japan. If somebody asked me what time of the year should be avoided visiting Japan, then one of my top answers is during Golden Week. This year Golden Week starts on Saturday, April 29 and ends on Sunday, May 7.

Likely Ryokan you are staying at Hakone was already fully booked during Golden Week and only availability was after Golden Week, which is after May 8 this year. Places will be very busy, trains usually sold out weeks in advance, it is possible that some trains will be standing room only. Hotels and roykans usually get booked solid especially at major tourist destinations, which you are visiting major tourist destinations.

During last day of Golden Week, express toll roads leading into Tokyo can experience three hours gridlock traffic. You have mentioned a day trip to Nikko. For example, drive from Nikko station to Lake Chuzenji is usually 30 minutes drive. However, during Golden Week the traffic can be stand still and same drive can take up to two hours, and at some locations will spend 30 minutes waiting for a parking space.

Sorry to put negative picture, but that is the reality of Golden Week in Japan. If you have not booked hotels yet, then your plan looks as you will be visiting major tourist locations and finding a hotel room can be difficult. Just be prepared that places will be busy and many major tourist attractions will have long line with long wait.

P.S.
Should make a note. This coming Saturday, April 29 is a holiday in Japan, Showa no hi (昭和の日), because this holiday falls on Saturday this year some people will have Friday, April 28 off. Hence this year Golden Week will unofficially starts from Friday, April 28 and officially starts from Saturday, April 29. Expect trains, roads, and tourist attractions to get busy starting this Friday.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Apr 26, 2017 at 6:11 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.