Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

How to optimize one day visit to Tokyo Disneyland (late Sept)

How to optimize one day visit to Tokyo Disneyland (late Sept)

Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Credit cards accepted at TDR

I know Japan is predominantly a cash based society. But are credit cards accepted at Tokyo Disney? If mostly yes, then what are the cash only exceptions?

Looking through TDR (and Akhiba store) videos, it's looking likely we'll burn through our yen. Hoping despite TDR being owned by OLC they'll accept plastic.

Also... The next leg of our journey to Japan is Maui. We hardly ever check luggage (makes standby difficult, etc). And may have more merch than we can cram into our carry ons. So... generally, how expensive is it to have stuff shipped home to the U.S.?

We're staying at the Hilton Tokyo Bay for our final days in Japan. Might they have a shipping service? Or should we try to have TDR ship our Disney merch home? We realize there may be options available to those staying On Property even though we couldn't afford it this time. Or rather, refused to pay for revenue rooms at such high prices. Perhaps next time.

Thanks again for all the help I've received on this thread. Arrigato. Domo arriagato! :-)
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
I know Japan is predominantly a cash based society. But are credit cards accepted at Tokyo Disney? If mostly yes, then what are the cash only exceptions?

Looking through TDR (and Akhiba store) videos, it's looking likely we'll burn through our yen. Hoping despite TDR being owned by OLC they'll accept plastic.

Also... The next leg of our journey to Japan is Maui. We hardly ever check luggage (makes standby difficult, etc). And may have more merch than we can cram into our carry ons. So... generally, how expensive is it to have stuff shipped home to the U.S.?

We're staying at the Hilton Tokyo Bay for our final days in Japan. Might they have a shipping service? Or should we try to have TDR ship our Disney merch home? We realize there may be options available to those staying On Property even though we couldn't afford it this time. Or rather, refused to pay for revenue rooms at such high prices. Perhaps next time.

Thanks again for all the help I've received on this thread. Arrigato. Domo arriagato! :-)
Hi,

The ticket office and shops all took credit cards ( I used my amex). I think most of the larger restaurants also took them but not 100% sure as I used cash at the restaurants/snack cards.

I stayed at Tokyo Disney in January and I think they had express mail but not sure about a shipping service to the USA ( The Hotel ( Hilton Tokyo Bay) is very good and in walking distance to Tokyo Disneyland ( but not to tokyo disney sea)

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Aug 14, 2017 at 11:52 am
Old Aug 13, 2017, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

The ticket office and shops all took credit cards ( I used my amex). I think most of the larger restaurants also took them but not 100% sure as I used cash at the restaurants/snack cards.

I stayed at Tokyo Disney in January and I think they had express mail but not sure about a shipping service to the USA ( The Hotel is very good and in walking distance to Tokyo Disneyland ( but not to tokyo disney sea)

Regards

TBS
Thanks TBS. That's great that you were in walking distance to TDL. Looks like the Hilton Tokyo Bay is walkable to TDL, but Google Maps shows a 27 minute walk vs. a 7 minute walk to the Bayside monorail station. Definitely no road going from the Hilton to Tokyo DisneySea that I noticed.

What's the best strategy for getting to rope drop from the Hilton? Anyone know if Hilton has a separate shuttle and/or how early the monorail begins operating? Sounds like for my Tokyo DisneySea day, I should arrive an hour before opening. I don't give a damn about Toy Story Mania--super fun ride at DHS, but I'm starting to create a fastpass strategy for what's of interest to me and what's unique at TDS.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Tokyo Disneyland Haunted Mansion Merchandise Unique to that Park

So, the Haunted Mansion (HM) is my favorite ride of all time in all the parks. I've practically got an HM shrine in my home library / theater. Always collecting HM stuff.

1) What Haunted Mansion merchandise is unique to Tokyo Disneyland (TDL)?
2) Where can I find it? A Leota's cart? Some other store? I love Memento Mori at WDW's MK.

Googled a bit on TDL HM merchandise but haven't seen anything. Hoping this post might help others wondering the same thing.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM

The ONLY place I remember not being able to use a credit card at TDR is at the booth inside Hilton Tokyo Bay itself that sells TDL/TDS theme park tickets - that particular booth is cash only.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks TBS. That's great that you were in walking distance to TDL. Looks like the Hilton Tokyo Bay is walkable to TDL, but Google Maps shows a 27 minute walk vs. a 7 minute walk to the Bayside monorail station. Definitely no road going from the Hilton to Tokyo DisneySea that I noticed.

What's the best strategy for getting to rope drop from the Hilton? Anyone know if Hilton has a separate shuttle and/or how early the monorail begins operating? Sounds like for my Tokyo DisneySea day, I should arrive an hour before opening. I don't give a damn about Toy Story Mania--super fun ride at DHS, but I'm starting to create a fastpass strategy for what's of interest to me and what's unique at TDS.
According to this: http://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/a...drl/index.html the monorail starts at 6am.

Also, I recall when I stayed at the Sheraton a few years ago that one could purchase park tickets at the hotel.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis

Hi moretimeoffguy,

Apologies as I did not make myself 100% clear. I stayed at the Hilton Tokyo bay and it took me around 10-15mins to walk to Tokyo Disneyland . I looked at Google maps and the route it chose ( 27mins) is the long way round.
The route I ( and everyone else took is);
Out of the hotel lobby and walk towards Bayside station but instead of going into the station walk round to the left outside the station and you will see a fence and a sign pointing to Tokyo Disneyland ( you are walking at the edge of a car park but it was mostly quiet when I was there and is safe. You will be walking to towards space mountain. At the end of the car park, turn left ( following the signs and after a few minutes you will cross the traffic lanes ( they do have traffic guards) and then onto a dedicated pathway to TDL.
Total time form the Hilton tokyo bay lobby was around 10mins at a reasonable pace.
The google maps route takes you along the sea wall of the bay past all the hotels and round Tokyo Disneyland before getting to TDL and is a very long route.
Apologies if I did not make that clear in my original reply.

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: Mabuhay Miles, Skypass, Eva Air, KrisFlyer
Restaurants and souvenir cashiers can take card but the vendors selling popcorn, snacks and drinks in carts are usually cash only. Usually around 200-300 JPY per item.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kzap
Restaurants and souvenir cashiers can take card but the vendors selling popcorn, snacks and drinks in carts are usually cash only. Usually around 200-300 JPY per item.
Thanks to all. For those merchants accepting credit cards, isn't it Visa they don't accept? Vs. MC, Amex, and Japanese bank credit cards?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Thanks to all. For those merchants accepting credit cards, isn't it Visa they don't accept? Vs. MC, Amex, and Japanese bank credit cards?
Visa is widely accepted. If a merchant accepts CC, I think it will accept Visa.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
Visa is widely accepted. If a merchant accepts CC, I think it will accept Visa.
Yes, sounds right. I found this interesting. Some MCs issued outside of Japan may not be accepted. So if I stick to Visa or Amex, presumably I'll be fine. Still, I wonder which banks' MCs may not be accepted. If nothing else for curiosity's sake:

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/f....html#faq-tdr6

JCB and other major credit cards, as well as major debit cards and major branded prepaid cards, are accepted at Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea.
- Some credit cards issued outside of Japan by MasterCard may not be accepted.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Is there anything else worth doing in the TDR area outside the parks aside from Ikspiari? Any other notable restaurants besides those in Ikspiari? That may be enough. But don't want to miss any hidden gems. Anything in the other hotels outside the parks worth experiencing? Again, I'll be staying at the Hilton Tokyo Bay, but am curious about the other hotels around the monorail loop.

Thinking it could also be fun "resort hopping" to explore the interiors of Disney hotels--ones I couldn't afford staying in (or rather, chose not to pay the price). My wife and I will often "resort hop" the Disney Deluxe hotels during Christmas when we're visiting family in Orlando. Would be insane to go to the parks with peak crowds, so we enjoy looking at how the resorts are decorated.

Getting really excited about seeing the Halloween decorations at TDR, given Halloween is my favorite holiday; and the Haunted Mansion is my favorite ride.

Speaking of the Haunted Mansion at Tokyo Disneyland:

1) What are the cast members like? Are they allowed to stay aloof and spooky like the ones in the U.S.? Or must they have perma-grins?

2) I once got a cool certificate of being an Honorary Caretaker of the Haunted Mansion at the Magic Kingdom from a Butler who saw I was obviously into the ride. Are there any similar such certificates HM cast members can give out to guests? Would love to have a Japanese one. What triggered the CM's interest, I believe, was my strange looking "twinned" 3D camera rig. The Butler in question let me hang out in the ante-room and stretching room when no one else was around to take 3D photos. Very cool experience. Now I use the Fuji W1 and W3 cameras--these are single-housing 3D cameras (dual lensed) vs. having two separate cameras on a bar with a sync cable (a real conversation starter--perhaps I ought to go back to my twinned-rig).

Just got my HM Butler T-shirt--wife already has the HM maid T-shirt--for some lowest key possible cosplay at the parks; if I can get my wife to play along. :-)
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Attention Foolish Mortals

Any thoughts. Time is short and trying to wrap up our plans for the trip. Thanks to all who've been participating. Hope this thread helps others in the future as a reference; those in the same or similar circumstances re: a quick trip to TDR.

Is there anything else worth doing in the TDR area outside the parks aside from Ikspiari? Any other notable restaurants besides those in Ikspiari? That may be enough. But don't want to miss any hidden gems. Anything in the other hotels outside the parks worth experiencing? Again, I'll be staying at the Hilton Tokyo Bay, but am curious about the other hotels around the monorail loop.

Thinking it could also be fun "resort hopping" to explore the interiors of Disney hotels--ones I couldn't afford staying in (or rather, chose not to pay the price). My wife and I will often "resort hop" the Disney Deluxe hotels during Christmas when we're visiting family in Orlando. Would be insane to go to the parks with peak crowds, so we enjoy looking at how the resorts are decorated.

Getting really excited about seeing the Halloween decorations at TDR, given Halloween is my favorite holiday; and the Haunted Mansion is my favorite ride.

Speaking of the Haunted Mansion at Tokyo Disneyland:

1) What are the cast members like? Are they allowed to stay aloof and spooky like the ones in the U.S.? Or must they have perma-grins?

2) I once got a cool certificate of being an Honorary Caretaker of the Haunted Mansion at the Magic Kingdom from a Butler who saw I was obviously into the ride. Are there any similar such certificates HM cast members can give out to guests? Would love to have a Japanese one. What triggered the CM's interest, I believe, was my strange looking "twinned" 3D camera rig. The Butler in question let me hang out in the ante-room and stretching room when no one else was around to take 3D photos. Very cool experience. Now I use the Fuji W1 and W3 cameras--these are single-housing 3D cameras (dual lensed) vs. having two separate cameras on a bar with a sync cable (a real conversation starter--perhaps I ought to go back to my twinned-rig).

Just got my HM Butler T-shirt--wife already has the HM maid T-shirt--for some lowest key possible cosplay at the parks; if I can get my wife to play along. :-)
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Be aware that the HM will have the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay if you visit during Halloween (or Christmas) season. This makes it more popular, so they will probably have FastPass operating for it every day during the season. Here's a tip if you want to go standby: It's very difficult to get to the HM when there's a parade running. Watch the parade from near Dumbo, which is directly across the parade route from HM. Just after the tail end of the parade, hurry across and get in the HM standby line: it will be much shorter, as during the run of the parade, very few people would have been able to get into the standby or FP Return lines, yet those lines were still emptying out at the regular rate. But hurry - if you wait just a few minutes after the parade passes, the lines will be back to normal.

If you're staying only 1 day, then I don't think you'll have time to see anything outside of the resort while you're there. If you're a big Disney fan, it takes 4 full days to fully experience the resort, so to try to add things off-resort will just make the time crunch worse. As far as hotels, be sure to go to the Bella Vista Lounge in the Hotel Mira Costa. It has a great view of Mediterranean Harbor.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

AMEX is fine in Japan too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.