Search

Hiiragiya Room Choices

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mabuhay Miles, Skypass, Eva Air, KrisFlyer
Hiiragiya Room Choices

Hi,

I'm trying to pick what room I should reserve at Hiiragiya but its hard to figure out what each room type looks like. I am aware each room is unique but after searching the internet, its still not clear what the difference is between each room aside from the mat count.

I am looking at the Main (Old) Building only.

Basically we have:

Superior Size Room: 8 tatami mat + adjoining 3
- I assume this is the smallest room type
- I think these are pictures of such a room? https://www.oyster.com/kyoto/hotels/...oom--v7837018/
- Are there any of these on the ground floor?

Luxury Size Room: 11 tatami mat + adjoining 4 mats
- Are there any pictures of these online?
- How much bigger or better is this compared to the superior?
- Are these better on the ground floor?

Luxury Size Corner Room: 12 tatami mat + adjoining 6
- I've read these are really popular
- I think these are screenshots of this room? https://www.oyster.com/kyoto/hotels/...iew--v7837432/
- Is this room really worth the upgrade from the regular Luxury Size?
- Do I have to specify if I want this on the ground floor, I wouldnt want a 1st floor room with a garden like this.

Imperial Size Room: 15 tatami mat + adjoining 13
- Out of my budget

Can anyone recommend a specific room type, its just me and my wife?

Should I request an exact room # or just take whats given upon arrival?

Thank you
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:09 pm

I stayed in the "Superior size room on the 1st floor in the Main (old) building with a private bath, toilet and garden view" in 2012 with my wife. It was fine and we weren't craving anything larger. We ate and slept in the room, but as great as it is, you'd want to spend your day in Kyoto, not in your room. So I can't speak to how much better a larger room would be. I hope that helps- happy to PM you pictures of our room.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Thank you. We do plan to spend most of the day around Kyoto so I see your point.

Does the 1st floor mean the ground floor or the floor above the ground floor?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by kzap
Does the 1st floor mean the ground floor or the floor above the ground floor?
1F = Ground level
B1 = Basement level 1
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:48 am

Forgot to add, the pictures you posted of the Superior Size Room seem to reflect the room we had. The only thing I imagine I would really get out of some of the larger rooms are the more panoramic/wraparound views of the garden. But you could lounge by the window in the Superior and still get a good garden view.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Which room # did you have, I found a floor plan / fire escape plan on the internet.

- Do the rooms have a private garden or its a shared Garden and you can see someone if they go outside and around infront of your room?

Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by kzap
Which room # did you have, I found a floor plan / fire escape plan on the internet.

- Do the rooms have a private garden or its a shared Garden and you can see someone if they go outside and around infront of your room?
Sorry, I really don't remember, it was 2012 and the email confirmation didn't give a room number. I could hazard a guess based on the the map but it would just be a guess. We were only there for one night so we didn't come and go much. I don't remember there being physical access to the garden for guests, but we didn't ask and had no desire to go out there on a cold January evening. We didn't see into any other rooms but weren't trying to peep.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:37 am

I suggest contacting the property directly as we had some issues with our room, despite being explicit in our requests with JTB/Hiiragiya. First floor rooms are much preferred, in my opinion. The corner garden rooms are the best and typically reserved months in advance (at certain times of year) for returning guests. They tend to be held for Japanese 'VIPs' even without advance notice. That said, if you can book these rooms, I highly recommend them; just make sure to request ground level. We stayed 3 nights and spent each night in a different room, haha. The inkeepers were very nice about it and extremely accommodating. They felt bad that they screwed up our reservation and were more than happy to move us around. We spent a lot of time with the elderly inkeeper, who recounted stories about Charlie Chaplin's visit (he stayed in one of our rooms) and I showed her photos of my grandmother who recently passed away but stayed at Hiiragiya in the 50's. I discovered her old trip itinerary and travel journal with many old photos and postcards of the Hiiragiya and Kyoto while digging through her apartment shortly after she died, so I brought it all along with us. I had a photo of my grandparents with the inkeeper from 55 years earlier and she actually remembered them and was very excited to see all of the old ephemera!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Thats so sweet. I would like to get the corner room but I think its a bit beyond my budget. I am in direct contact with the hotel and they are very responsive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.