Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Which district in Tokyo to stay in? Shibuya?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which district in Tokyo to stay in? Shibuya?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by lhmpdx
I'm also looking for neighborhood advice for Tokyo. I'm a frequent traveller, including Asia, but have only been to Tokyo once, a very long time ago. Visiting for about 5 days. Use both hotels and Airbnb + VRBO.

Similar preferences to OP; I'd like to avoid tourist/business neighborhoods. While traveling, we focus more on walking and eating rather than museum going.

For example,

in SF, the Marina or Noe Valley not Union Square;
in NY, the West Village not Midtown;
in Amsterdam, the Jordaan not Dam Square.

All suggestions appreciated.

LM
If you want neighborhoods with character and don't require a luxury hotel, the Ueno-Asakusa area is probably a good bet. I've also enjoyed staying in Monzen-Nakacho and in Otsuka, and I think Kagurazaka or Iidabashi would be slightly more upscale choices.

If you like to walk and eat, Tokyo is an excellent place to find little hole-in-the-wall restaurants and unusual shopping areas that specialize in one product. When I lived there, I used to enjoy walking the length of one of the major named streets, and I always found something interesting.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 12:17 am

If I were going for short term rental in Tokyo, it would undoubtedly be in Shibuya!

I think the poster who favors West Village and Marina neighborhoods (presumably mixed residential-boutique local feel) would enjoy Shibuya as well.

Last edited by OliverB; Mar 15, 2017 at 12:27 am
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: Skywards, Silver
I personally loved staying in Akasaka. I stayed at the Grand Fresa Inn, which is basically on top of Akasaka station where the Chiyoda line gives you direct access to both Nogizaka (Roppongi) and Omotesando, both 2-5 minutes away. Another neat feature on the Chiyoda line is that unlike other subways in Tokyo, it has through-service Limited Express trains departing for popular holiday destinations outside Tokyo. Though they do not operate every day.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Marc Liljeqvist
Another neat feature on the Chiyoda line is that unlike other subways in Tokyo, it has through-service Limited Express trains departing for popular holiday destinations outside Tokyo.
Actually, nearly all subways in Tokyo have through-service out to suburbs, and quite a few have services that go beyond out to mountains and such. There's one that goes straight to Takao Mtn. There's another that goes to Shinrinkoen park. One or two goes out towards the beach areas of Shonan. One goes all the way to Narita. They just started a service that goes all the way out to Chichibu from Fukutoshin line.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by fimo
The airport is small so very easily navigable.
HND? Not anymore. It's probably a mile between the far gates and the entrance to immigration...
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by Pickles
HND? Not anymore. It's probably a mile between the far gates and the entrance to immigration...
I meant beyond baggage claim where you're looking for info/transport counters and access to bus lines/train platforms etc.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:21 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
A few unhelpful comments removed. If you have a differing opinion please present it in a civil and constructive manner.

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator
Old May 10, 2017, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Just a quick post trip follow-up.
We ended up staying at an APA in Shibuya which was pricier than other areas. However, we really enjoyed staying in the area with the food and drinking options. Other neighbourhood are obviously reachable by train/metro but having options to end the night at a place in Shibuya saved us a cab ride back to the area when the trains/metros shut down. The cabs also got bogged as they approached the heart of Shibuya because of the crossings.

One point of note about seediness I mentioned in my original post, I did get propositioned for a massage with extras in Shibuya but it still wasn't as annoying as in Kabukicho and vicinity in Shinjuku where I was regularly being asked if I was interested in a massage, going to a club, etc.

We did look at AirBNB options and we'd likely consider it for a future trip.

We also decided to risk it and take the monorail and then the Yamanote line from HND to Shibuya station and it wasn't that bad/packed relatively early Saturday night.
Conversely, we took the Ginza metro line at 9:30am on a weekday to get to Ueno for a ride to NRT and that was packed for a number of stops.

All and all, I'd consider staying in Shibuya again but with consideration to the pricing we find for accommodations.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:38 pm

Thanks for reporting back. You are right that hotel in Shibuya tends to be pricey for what they are. I take it you are not into massage.
Old May 12, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by mjm
If your target area is fun, vivacious, safe, young, pop-culture oriented, cheap eats available, cheap drinking available, and easy access by train and bus, Shibuya is perfect. Shinjuku is a hole compared to Shibuya.

Book the Cerulean and you will be bang in the middle of it all.

Cost savings abound by going to lesser hotels or a station away, but I assume since you are ponying up to get to Japan that saving $50 is not the goal.
Appreciate the advice. I am heading there in October with zero knowledge (yet) of Tokyo. I booked the Cerulean. For $100/night cheaper on Expedia than their website wanted.

Is there a decently close metro station?
Old May 12, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by james318
Appreciate the advice. I am heading there in October with zero knowledge (yet) of Tokyo. I booked the Cerulean. For $100/night cheaper on Expedia than their website wanted.

Is there a decently close metro station?
Shibuya station is 350 meters away.
Old May 12, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Shibuya station is 350 meters away.
Awesome, seems close enough!
Old May 20, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jay71
Looking for suggestions on which district to stay in. We've been to Tokyo 4 times, staying in Shinjuku twice, Asakusa once, and near Tokyo station area/Kodenmacho station once.

This trip we're targeting some place near Shibuya station as we're looking for a neighbourhood that's somewhat pedestrian friendly, bustling and lively at day and night with a good selection of places within our price-point to eat and drink and an easy walk back to/from the hotel as needed to start and/or end our day.

Shinjuku is kind of a default option but we find parts are kind of seedy.
We found Asakusa a bit too quiet.
The Tokyo station area/Kodenmacho station is a bit of a blur because we only stayed one night as a transition day.

Thoughts on staying in and around Shibuya station or other suggestions for similar neighbourhoods?

TIA
How about staying at Annex Katsutaro in Yanaka? It's close to JR Nippori and Sendagi Metro station.
Old May 20, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: UA, NW
Yanaka is walkable, but I've never thought of it as "bustling and lively day or night."
Old May 22, 2017, 10:11 am

I stayed at dormy inn premium jingumae on my last trip. This hotel is situated between equidistant shinjuku and shibuya / harajuku right on the border of yoyogi park, so depending on what you feel like doing that day, you can just pick a direction to head towards. There's also a few ramen shops / ootoya very nearby.
The dormy inn premiums feature complimentary breakfast, onsens and free ramen dinners (just ramen without any toppings though, IIRC). The rooms aren't too big but they are very clean and adequate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.