Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to find specific tour of Mt. Fuji area from Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
Question Trying to find specific tour of Mt. Fuji area from Tokyo

On our first trip to Tokyo in 2010 my wife and I went to the main train station in Tokyo and bought a travel tour to Mt. Fuji. We can't remember where we got it from exactly but guessing it was maybe JR East. It was a little ticket window in Tokyo train station is all we remember.

The tour included shinkansen from Tokyo to Fuji area. It also had a segment on a bus (public from what we remember), a part where you walked, you then boarded a boat, then lunch below where you got on a cable car which stopped off at hot springs. At end of cable car we took a funicular and finally shinkansen back to Tokyo. It did not actually go up to Mt. Fuji (which may not be possible in April any way).

We are taking our niece to Japan and would really like to do this tour again. We took my father-in-law 3 years ago and we looked at all the online tours and booked the closest one we could find and it was not nearly as good as the original tour we took. Can anyone here help me figure out which tour it was and if it's still offered? We'll be in Tokyo April 13-16 2017 if that matters (other cities before that).

Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by rmc1
The tour included shinkansen from Tokyo to Fuji area. It also had a segment on a bus (public from what we remember), a part where you walked, you then boarded a boat, then lunch below where you got on a cable car which stopped off at hot springs. At end of cable car we took a funicular and finally shinkansen back to Tokyo. It did not actually go up to Mt. Fuji (which may not be possible in April any way).
Hakone Round Course with Hakone Free Pass?

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5210.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_008.html
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
What you described does sounds like Hokone tour, not Mt. Fuji. On clear day you can see Mt. Fuji up front from Hakone area. Lake you described is likely Lake Ashino, and cable car was likely Hakone Tozan Cable Car which runs between Gora and Souunzan where Gora is one of hot spring areas in Hakone.

Many tour operators have similar tours as you described, if you search under “Hakone” rather than “Mt. Fuji” then likely you will find the tour very similar to the tour you had back in 2010.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
Smile

Thanks AlwaysAisle and Kallio, I believe you are both correct as Hakone does ring a bell now.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: Dirt
Just want to add you probably bought the Hakone Freepass from Odakyu's Shinjuku station and traveled on the Odakyu Romance Car from Shinjuku to Hakone-yumoto. JR East does not sell the Hakone Freepass. If you choose to take the Shinkansen to Odawara, the Odakyu ticket booth on their side of the Odawara station sells the Freepass.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I've done the Hakone route before, and on my last trip to Japan, I spent a day in the Lake Kawaguchiko area. The views of Fuji were a ton better from Kawaguchiko. I realize that you probably want to reproduce the route you took before, but I thought I'd throw this out there just in case...
Old Feb 4, 2017, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by rmc1
On our first trip to Tokyo in 2010 my wife and I went to the main train station in Tokyo and bought a travel tour to Mt. Fuji. We can't remember where we got it from exactly but guessing it was maybe JR East. It was a little ticket window in Tokyo train station is all we remember.

We are taking our niece to Japan and would really like to do this tour again. We took my father-in-law 3 years ago and we looked at all the online tours and booked the closest one we could find and it was not nearly as good as the original tour we took. Can anyone here help me figure out which tour it was and if it's still offered? We'll be in Tokyo April 13-16 2017 if that matters (other cities before that).

Thanks!
If you enjoy driving mountain roads, I would suggest doing a driving tour of the area as there are some spots that can't be reached easily by public transport. Wife and I did this for our honeymoon and we preferred it to the hectic hakone circuit which we had done previously. Besides the relaxed pace, the views were better and we were free to pull over when we liked for a photo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.