Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

The QR week(end) HND/NRT travel thread (2017)

Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cgtechuk
Useful threads:

Late-night HND arrival - hotel/transport options

Which city to visit: Nagasaki vs Hiroshima

Suggestions for a Do

Park Hyatt Bar (Lost in Translation - YouTube Vid)

Hotel Options

Hotel High End (>200)
Conrad Tokyo (380 - personal favourite of henkybaby)

Hotel Mid End (100<>200)
Asakusa, Next to Sensoji Shrine
Richmond Hotel Premier Asakusa International 120

Other Options (<100)
Minato District
Hotel Risveglio Akasaka (90, booked by henkybaby)
Print Wikipost

The QR week(end) HND/NRT travel thread (2017)

Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by phoneticduck
avoid going back into Tokyo and the associated faffing around....
TBH, there's not much faffing around - and you don't need to go "into" Tokyo really. Travelling via Shinkansen, one can alight at Shinagawa station and take the Keikyu line from there to HND.
As you correctly observed, HIJ is so far from downtown Hiroshima that the total journey times from Tokyo for planes and Nozomi trains barely differ.
(If you're using a JR pass, which isn't valid on Nozomi trains, it takes longer - not least because you typically have to change trains at Osaka).
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
There is of course the JAL Oneworld "visit japan" fare which offers significantly cheaper fares and are bookable right now thru November 2017 & I think into December. Basically it's 10,800 yen per sector fixed price.

Providing you have a oneworld alliance international ticket to/from Japan, JAL will allow you to book these fares now.

I looked at Hiroshima (randomly) and was offered 142 per person return in economy.

Much as I want to ride on the Shinkansen, for a short visit to Japan it still takes too long for longer trips vs flying (Hiroshima admittedly it is about the same allowing for airport time etc.) but for my trip I liked the fact I'd fly back to HND and avoid going back into Tokyo and the associated faffing around....for less than the cost of a JR Pass.....not sure where I'll go but Nagasaki or Okinawa are part of my research at present.
For Hiroshima you do also have the option of IBEX (first time I have heard of this LCC) who offer flights to NRT / ITM

http://www.ibexair.co.jp/index.html
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is of course the JAL Oneworld "visit japan" fare which offers significantly cheaper fares and are bookable right now thru November 2017 & I think into December. Basically it's 10,800 yen per sector fixed price.
^ ^ ^ A big thank you phoneticduck for putting me onto this.

What I did not know is that JAL offers five different "Visit Japan" style fares. The cheapest allows travel between TYO and Tohoku at only 5400 JPY per sector(!).

There was formerly a Kyushu version of the fare allowing travel between TYO/OSA and Kyushu for 5400 JPY per sector as well. However that expired by the end of last year.

These all book into full Y class and reservations need only be made for the first sector; the others can be left open and changed at will (except the GEXPLORE fare which books into G, no changes).

What a great set of products. A shame there is no J equivalent but you can grab it on the day, subject to availability.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Calchas

What I did not know is that JAL offers five different "Visit Japan" style fares. The cheapest allows travel between TYO and Tohoku at only 5400 JPY per sector(!).

There was formerly a Kyushu version of the fare allowing travel between TYO/OSA and Kyushu for 5400 JPY per sector as well. However that expired by the end of last year.

These all book into full Y class and reservations need only be made for the first sector; the others can be left open and changed at will (except the GEXPLORE fare which books into G, no changes).

What a great set of products. A shame there is no J equivalent but you can grab it on the day, subject to availability.
These seem great, but I'm a bit confused. How do you book them?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by armouredant
These seem great, but I'm a bit confused. How do you book them?
Call JAL?

In theory they can be booked on other oneworld ticket stock, but my friend at BA ticketing said he couldn't even see the fare on his system.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:43 am

Call JAL?

In theory they can be booked on other oneworld ticket stock, but my friend at BA ticketing said he couldn't even see the fare on his system.
Yes you need to call JAL. You will need the ticket number for your international ticket and they will then book them for you.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:44 am

Also check Peach and Jetstar.

Depending on how far out you book you can get one way domestics for as low as 3,000 yen including baggage.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Pretty good value - I'd assume those booking into Y would earn 20 tps per sector.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by megaloman
Pretty good value - I'd assume those booking into Y would earn 20 tps per sector.
Exactly.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson VIP, Hertz Gold, Accor Plat

Wowsers...this is even better than I thought!

It seems according to the fare rules these are mostly time limited, my travel is in November 2017, but is it too much to hope that these are rolling offers and in all likelihood a version of these will become available closer to the time?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:43 pm

It seems according to the fare rules these are mostly time limited, my travel is in November 2017, but is it too much to hope that these are rolling offers and in all likelihood a version of these will become available closer to the time?
They have existed in one version or another since I was on study abroad in 2007 at least.

I can remember calling JAL to book my HND -> NGS flight that marked the start of my study abroad.

God that feels such a long time ago now...
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the data sheet is slightly out of date.

Irritatingly this fare doesn't show up on ExpertFlyer and even dutch_122 was unable to grab the details.

The Tohoku fare is valid through to 2018, according to http://www.ar.jal.com/world/en/visittohoku/.

Also I noticed that you can go as far south as FUK with it, so you could still visit Kyushu off the back of it, e.g., HND-AXT-SPK-SDJ-FUK-HNA seems to be a permitted route.

Also a guy on reddit reported that travel need not be via the point of combination, so maybe something like HND-AXT//SDJ-FUK-HNA//AOJ-HND would be allowed.

Last edited by Calchas; Jan 20, 2017 at 2:12 am
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:17 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
It's really a shame that there's no JAL Kyushu pass for 2017 (I hope that they renew the offer). 5,400JPY/sector is really interesting.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WorldLux
It's really a shame that there's no JAL Kyushu pass for 2017 (I hope that they renew the offer). 5,400JPY/sector is really interesting.
If your heart is not set on Kyushu, the Tohoku fare is the same price, available through 2017 excluding blackout dates, and you can still use it to get to FUK (which is on Kyushu).

Since these fares book into Y class and only need to be ticketed before entry to Japan, there's also no hurry to buy them. Maybe a Kyushu pass will re-appear.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:52 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Wink

If your heart is not set on Kyushu, the Tohoku fare is the same price, available through 2017 excluding blackout dates, and you can still use it to get to FUK (which is on Kyushu).

Since these fares book into Y class and only need to be ticketed before entry to Japan, there's also no hurry to buy them. Maybe a Kyushu pass will re-appear.

Sorry my inner 5 year old came out there lol

Last edited by cgtechuk; Jan 20, 2017 at 4:24 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.