Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

ridiculous gym fees at hotels

Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:25 am
Original Poster

I know this has been discussed before, and someone concluded it is only fair because most people don't use the gym facilities they should charge those who do. In the US it is always included, I think most of Europe and Asia as well (or at least if you have hotel status). In Japan in Hyatt it is included but most other chains do not. And sometimes I find it ridiculous high. The Grand Prince in Hiroshima wants to charge 6200 yen for using the gym and more to use the pool, which is almost the room rate for the night (this is the "rate for hotel guests").

Anybody have any options or workarounds?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: FT
http://www.princehotels.com/hiroshima/facilities/gym/

2100 to use the gym?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 2:25 pm

It's just a different pricing culture. I don't know that there's any other reason.

I agree that it's annoying to see additional charges for gym & pool. Same with having to pay 1/2-price or sometimes full adult price for a 7-yo child. On the other hand, hotel parking rates tend to be much cheaper in Jpn than US, even in the middle of big cities. Jpn hotels are much more generous with status-based upgrades and freebies than US (ie, free full breakfast for family of 4 in Jpn Hiltons instead of free continental for 2 in US, better exec lounge offerings).

Also, if you stay at foreign-brand hotels (Hilton, IHG, Hyatt, etc) and have some type of status, there's a good chance you're not going to have to pay for gym & pool anyways. My lowly platinum status with IHG and Hyatt has generally gotten me free pool/gym access in Jpn.

Btw, I have never seen fee of 6200yen just to access pool. It's usually 3000yen or less. Even at Four Seasons Chinzanso, the fee was ~3000yen to access the spa (gym and onsen) although that was a few years ago.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum
A good workaround at least for Tokyo (not sure about Hiroshima) is to find a Gold's Gym and inquire about a trial pass.

YMMV based on the campaigns the location has running at that time, as well as the language skill of the staff on hand. But worth searching for if booking a hotel with a big gym.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:51 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gym and pool are included at the Park Hyatt Tokyo for all guests. There is an extra non-trivial charge of around Y4500 to use the spa, which is on a different floor, waived for Hyatt Diamonds (or whatever they are called now).
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:36 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
FWIW guest passes at some clubs around here do run high, not just at hotels.

For example, Total Workout's Roppongi Hills guest pass starts at 6480円
https://www.totalworkout.jp/join/tonai/index.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.