Reload this Page >

Looking for advice for a wheelchair user

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for advice for a wheelchair user

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:05 am

Bottom line is, you can't really do anything until you know the dates. You'll just have to price things out and see what your options are after you determine when you're taking the trip. You're on a tight budget yet have specific needs, so I think your options will naturally be narrowed down.

You could try contacting one after another of all the different hotels on your link, inquiring about the availability/rate for those universal rooms. But since it seems like the inventory for those special room types is so limited at many of those hotels, you may have a difficult time finding one in a decent hotel available at the right rate.

Alternatively, you could just search for regular twin rooms in at least mid-tier hotels around Tokyo (including nearby suburbs). If you look far in advance, you will almost always find a good-size room (>25m2) in a nice hotel as long as you're not a stickler for location. Then you won't have to settle for a lower-tiered place like Toyoko or Washington, and possibly even better than low-mid-tier places like Fressa and Sunroute. Check with the hotel and make sure they'll have "shower chair" available to rent to you. Based on your criteria from your op, it sounds like you could make do as long as the room is spacious and there's a shower bench available.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:30 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Chain business hotels with Japanese style bathrooms (many but not all Dormy Inn, Villa Fontaine) are another good option.

They don't use typical pre-fabricated "unit bath" so there is no high step up. The shower is outside of the bathtub and is designed for Japanese bathing protocol, meaning one showers and gets thoroughly clean before getting into the tub filled with water which is used by multiple people in the family.

Dormy Inn Premium Kyoto Station Ekimae:

https://www.yadoran.jp/magazine/6661
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn
Alternatively, you could just search for regular twin rooms in at least mid-tier hotels around Tokyo (including nearby suburbs). If you look far in advance, you will almost always find a good-size room (>25m2) in a nice hotel as long as you're not a stickler for location. Then you won't have to settle for a lower-tiered place like Toyoko or Washington, and possibly even better than low-mid-tier places like Fressa and Sunroute. Check with the hotel and make sure they'll have "shower chair" available to rent to you. Based on your criteria from your op, it sounds like you could make do as long as the room is spacious and there's a shower bench available.
I understand how the advice to look out in the suburbs might seem sensible. But my own experience would make me very wary of suggesting this. I tried to meet jib71 once when I was wheelchair bound. He was about half an hour away from Central Tokyo at the time and the trip became a nightmare which I eventually was forced to abandon.
Unforseen circumstances do emerge - with both my trips this year, crows destroyed cables back in Spring and someone fell under the train last month; both incidents messed up trains running towards Shinjuku causing delays of at least an hour. This may not seem like such an ordeal, but riding through unexpected delays and diversions and the accompanying scrums are extremely challenging when you're wheelchair bound.
Options for any eventuality are genuinely easier if you can stick to city centres.
Not to mention how exhausted those in wheelchairs (and those with them) can feel by the end if the day. Commuting in and out each day does take its toll.
Once the dates are decided (so long as it's not a last minute rush) I think the OP is going to have more options than expected.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
Bottom line is, you can't really do anything until you know the dates. You'll just have to price things out and see what your options are after you determine when you're taking the trip. You're on a tight budget yet have specific needs, so I think your options will naturally be narrowed down.

You could try contacting one after another of all the different hotels on your link, inquiring about the availability/rate for those universal rooms. But since it seems like the inventory for those special room types is so limited at many of those hotels, you may have a difficult time finding one in a decent hotel available at the right rate.

Thanks for the tips.

It's definitely possible for me to stay in a regular twin room as long as I have a shower bench. That is what my family has been doing when we take a trip in north america.

And of course it is preferable to stay near a train station as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.