Wiki Posts
Search

Winter Hiking

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Winter Hiking

Hi, is there any good hiking in Japan to be had in the winter (December)? Either day hikes or multi-day hikes. Nothing that requires equipment or is dangerous in the winter or is generally unpleasant (lots of rain and snow). It's hard to tell if some of the popular trails in Kyuushu and Shukoku are going to be too miserable in the winter.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
I did a multi-day hike last December with WalkJapan and highly recommend them. My hike was in the Kunisaki area of Kyushu. From my experience, the winter in Kyushu is a lot milder than places like Nagano. I'd say it felt more like fall in the Northeast US. I did a TR and should give you an idea of what its like in northern Kyushu. As for equipment, the only things they required were a good pair of hiking boots and layered outdoor wear.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by Gradfly
I did a multi-day hike last December with WalkJapan and highly recommend them. My hike was in the Kunisaki area of Kyushu. From my experience, the winter in Kyushu is a lot milder than places like Nagano. I'd say it felt more like fall in the Northeast US. I did a TR and should give you an idea of what its like in northern Kyushu. As for equipment, the only things they required were a good pair of hiking boots and layered outdoor wear.
Thanks for the response. I saw your TR long ago and I remember it being great; I'll take a closer look.

I found your hike on WalkJapan's website, and it's $4k+ for 10 days. I've been to Japan several times and know it's not a cheap place, but we're on a budget. Did you investigate whether it'd be possible to do something like this as an independent hike for significantly cheaper than the organized hike?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:17 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
My tour was the shorter version of the one you mention. Its the Yufuin & Kunisaki Walk. When I did it, the tour length was 3 nights, 4 days. Now its 4 nights, 5 days. The link is here. The company now does self-guided tours, which are significantly cheaper. You might want to contact them and see if you can do a custom self guided tour.

Last edited by Gradfly; Oct 25, 2016 at 6:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.