Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Which expressway driving from Kansai to Kyushu?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

Will be driving from Kansai to Kyushu next month. I've done it before, but not for several years. We always went Chugoku expressway in the past. However, Google maps presents Sanyo expressway as a slightly faster option. But, it seems to me that Sanyo actually is potentially slower, as it seems to pass closer to major city areas, meaning more traffic.

Anyone done this recently and have an opinion on which is better? Not only for time needed for the trip, but also for other reasons (better road, better places to stop, etc.). On the way down, we might stop somewhere interesting for an hour or two, so that might also be a factor to consider which expressway to take. Appreciate your input.

Last edited by nishimark; Oct 19, 2016 at 7:35 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 20, 2016, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's been a few years but I have driven on both from Fukuoka City to Kobe/Osaka and return (remember the one-way 1,000 yen tolls ) ? Sanyo is more congested than the Chugoku IME ! And, as you said, if you are wanting to stop somewhere interesting on the coast, then take the Sanyo. If you just want to blast your way to Q Shoe take the Chugoku, like you have always done. I have found, Kurashiki, and certain rural areas of Yamaguchi like Hagi and Chofu worth the stop. Hiroshima also.....But everyone is different in what they like or don't !
Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

My wife is talking about wanting to stop somewhere in Yamaguchi, so it's looking like Sanyo for the trip down and maybe Chugoku to come home, when we won't have time for stopping. Thanks for the insight.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:21 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by nishimark
My wife is talking about wanting to stop somewhere in Yamaguchi, so it's looking like Sanyo for the trip down and maybe Chugoku to come home, when we won't have time for stopping. Thanks for the insight.
You could take the Chugoku to Hiroshima-Kita IC, then jump down to Hiroshima or Iwakuni if you're headed to eastern Yamaguchi. Otherwise the Chugoku and San'yo will take you to western or central Yamaguchi. (There's a gap in the San'yo between Yamaguchi City and Ube, forcing you onto the Chugoku.)
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. What's the price penalty for getting off and then back on the expressway? Straight, I think that the toll will be about 12,000. Any rough estimate of how much more I'll pay if we get off for lunch somewhere and then back on, versus just stopping at an SA for something to eat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.