Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA - Married name in parenthesis on passport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by highfield
I'm a US citizen and she's a Japanese citizen. I seem to remember different lines for citizens. Or do permanent residents use the same line as me?
I think in most places LPRs and US citizens are in the same line. Regardless, you'd need one custom declaration since (I'm guessing) you live in the same place, in which case you should probably just use the same line. (CBP could be unhappy either way - i.e. splitting declarations vs using incorrect lines, but you both are guaranteed the right to enter the US, so you've got nothing to worry about.)
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I'm a US citizen and she's a Japanese citizen. I seem to remember different lines for citizens. Or do permanent residents use the same line as me?
I think if your wife obtained the U.S. permanent residency (i.e. Green Card) through the marriage with you (or maybe your wife already had Green Card and did not need you for that ), then upon arrival to the U.S. your wife can use same CBP lane with you to use those kiosks and get through CBP passport control fairly quick. And when using those kiosk you no longer have to fill those customs forms.

In old days when everybody had to go through manned booth upon international arrival to the U.S., I think if one in a group was the U.S. citizen or permanent resident then entire group could go through citizen/permanent resident line. But now with those kiosks in use, I am not sure how it works currently if a group is mix of citizen, resident, and none of these.

Upon arrival into Japan…, do not know what if the official policy today. I think old days policy was that a group had to split and go to appropriate line for individual.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:32 am

You can always go with her through the line for the green-card holders. Immigration officers will not be unhappy if you go through a "more thorough" line. (But not the other way around.) They will just not subject you (as a citizen) to the same level of procedures as what is done for the green-card holders (fingerprinting, photo, etc.).

Originally Posted by televisor
I think in most places LPRs and US citizens are in the same line. Regardless, you'd need one custom declaration since (I'm guessing) you live in the same place, in which case you should probably just use the same line. (CBP could be unhappy either way - i.e. splitting declarations vs using incorrect lines, but you both are guaranteed the right to enter the US, so you've got nothing to worry about.)
I don't know how it is elsewhere, and how long ago you've observed this, but at IAH, things have changed recently (and I expect the same everywhere else): the lines for LPRs and US citizens are different.

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I think if your wife obtained the U.S. permanent residency (i.e. Green Card) through the marriage with you (or maybe your wife already had Green Card and did not need you for that ), then upon arrival to the U.S. your wife can use same CBP lane with you to use those kiosks and get through CBP passport control fairly quick. And when using those kiosk you no longer have to fill those customs forms.

In old days when everybody had to go through manned booth upon international arrival to the U.S., I think if one in a group was the U.S. citizen or permanent resident then entire group could go through citizen/permanent resident line. But now with those kiosks in use, I am not sure how it works currently if a group is mix of citizen, resident, and none of these.
As you wrote, things have changed. CBP must take fingerprints and photos every time a LPR enters the US. So, kiosks will not do. The mixed groups are ok to go through the "more rigorous procedures" line. The procedures performed will be different for different group/family members, according to the status of the person.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I think if your wife obtained the U.S. permanent residency (i.e. Green Card) through the marriage with you (or maybe your wife already had Green Card and did not need you for that )
She definitely needed me for that.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. Neither of us have flown since 2009. Maybe she'll be okay going through customs alone, since she somehow managed to do it when she first came here.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:31 pm

Passport names

Similar situation , my wife is Thai with Thai passport one name and green card another .
At Heathrow it was helpful to have a copy of our marriage license .
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:47 pm

She can always go with you. You're a married couple. I have never had a problem with my wife (similar situation) going together in the citizen lane. The key thing would be to stay together even going as a couple up to the immigration officer.

If you're really paranoid/concerned you can go in the foreigner lane together, but it shouldn't be necessary.

edit:

I just read some other posts saying procedures have changed. However, I was just back in June with my family and my wife went through the same lane that I did, so it may depend on your port of entry. We had no issues at SFO, although she was also using a re-entry permit if that possibly makes a difference (or perhaps they were lenient because we were travelling with two small children). If you want to play it safe, as I said you should just go with her in the PR or foreigner line and/or bring your marriage certificate. They shouldn't hassle you if you stay together as a couple the entire way ie. don't walk up to the counter separately either, this is really when people have problems. My wife and I always stay together and hand them our 2-4 passports (depending on whether the kids are with us) and like I said, we have never had any problems, even going through the citizen line.

Last edited by baroqen; Sep 25, 2016 at 9:34 pm
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by baroqen
The key thing would be to stay together even going as a couple up to the immigration officer.
This is exactly what I would like to achieve.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:56 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
In my experience:

No issue using the citizen line in the US when spouse is using ESTA, although the last time I experienced this was in the summer of 2015. At that time, all APC kiosks were set up to handle citizens, green card holders and ESTA holders, and the immigration officer would take the spouse's fingerprints and photo while waiving through the citizens in the group. I imagine that there might be a problem if you tried to take a visa-holding spouse through the citizen line.

In Japan, the equipment is the same in every line, but immigration may still tell you to go into the applicable non-citizen line -- the reason being (seriously) that they are afraid of Japanese people complaining when they see a foreigner in front of them. This is less of an issue in the US since there is a single line and each person gets funneled to the next available inspector, whereas in Japan the lines for inbound citizens (and for everyone outbound) are "parallel" and you could have one slowpoke hold up one line while others are progressing.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:38 pm

Similar situation

My wife's Japanese passport lists the surname as "Suzuki (Smith)". However, the chip only produces "Suzuki" when scanned. So I'm worried about flying to Japan from the US, because the of the TSA's name-must-match-exactly policy.
My wife's passport and residence card have different last names . It has been helpful to have a copy of our marriage certificate . Agents don't want to get into trouble and the marriage certificate offers reassurance .
The Japanese consulate worker says to use only "Suzuki". The Japanese travel agency says to use "Suzuki Smith). The JAL website says not to use the name in parenthesis. I contacted the TSA, as they're the ones who enforce the rule, and got an automated reply, essentially, "Ask the airline"...

If we use "Suzuki" on the ticket, it won't match what is under "surname". But if we use "Suzuki (Smith)", it won't match when the scan the chip...

Has anyone here with a name in parenthesis on a passport flown from the US after 2010? Thank you in advance.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Traveled numerous times with my wife's amended Japanese passport.

Booked in Maiden name. Not First "Maiden (My Surname)" as the amendment shows on another page her book. Never a problem except she always gets an X on her ticket at the Kiosk.

When she renews her passport, the First "Maiden (My Surname)" will be on the main page but we'll just keep using her Maiden because the name in parenthesis is well...in parenthesis.

Green card has her maiden as her middle and my surname as her last.

Bottom line, no matter how you slice it or dice it it's obviously her and you can't book a ticket with parenthesis anyway.

BTW together in resident line in USA. Gaijin to the Gaijin line in Japan.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:16 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
I will echo the comments of others.

My wife when we first married got her passport enodorsed with a special "name change" stamp. We had no issues whatsoever when passing through immigration either in the Uk or Japan.

The only thing is that we had to make sure we pointed ID checkers to the name change stamp and then they were fine about it.

Just as a note - they don't do name change stamps now - you are forced to apply for a full new passport when you change your name in Japan.

Has your wife opened a new koseki in her name ?. If that's the case when she gets a new passport she will have your surname on it. HOWEVER one piece of advice - does your wife have a credit card in your name eg a family card or something ?

The Japanese passport authorities wanted an official piece of proof regarding the spelling of the surname when it doesn't match up with the hebon? system of name conversion. To this end I gave my wife a family card attached to my AMEX and that was sufficient proof. Her passport now shows our family name with the correct spelling.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
This is exactly what I would like to achieve.
Definitely stay together and use the citizen line at US CBP.

My wife travels with a Japanese passport and ESTA and on our honeymoon in 2011 we stopped one night in Chicago on our way to Argentina and I had her go through the non-citizen line. CBP ended up asking her why she wasn't in the same line as her husband and pulled her into the interrogation room. After about an hour of unnecessary questions and stress we were allowed to leave.

CBP told us we should always go through immigration together, since we were married. Since then, that's what we've done and have had no issues. She has to do the extra fingerprint scanning and all that, but otherwise it's smooth.

As for me, I will never be able to live down the fact that I "abandoned" her at US immigration on our honeymoon!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: UAL 1k
Originally Posted by groovbusta
Definitely stay together and use the citizen line at US CBP.

My wife travels with a Japanese passport and ESTA and on our honeymoon in 2011 we stopped one night in Chicago on our way to Argentina and I had her go through the non-citizen line. CBP ended up asking her why she wasn't in the same line as her husband and pulled her into the interrogation room. After about an hour of unnecessary questions and stress we were allowed to leave.

CBP told us we should always go through immigration together, since we were married. Since then, that's what we've done and have had no issues. She has to do the extra fingerprint scanning and all that, but otherwise it's smooth.

As for me, I will never be able to live down the fact that I "abandoned" her at US immigration on our honeymoon!

+1 on this. Although she didn't get questioned, we were told to stay together the first time my wife and I traveled internationally. She is Brazilian. We were told families go through immigration together.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.