Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Absolute best hotel in Kyoto

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2016, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Absolute best hotel in Kyoto

Looking to spend 2 nights in Kyoto - is there a consensus top hotel or two? Or something unique and local that is really great?
Old Sep 18, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
http://www.insidekyoto.com/best-places-to-stay-in-kyoto
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by jakemalloy
Looking to spend 2 nights in Kyoto - is there a consensus top hotel or two? Or something unique and local that is really great?
There will never be a consensus on the best hotel. Everyone's expectations and taste is different.

If u are looking at something luxury, the Ritz Carlton is probably the newest international branded hotel in Kyoto right now, and the Four Seasons is slated to open next month.

If u want something local and unique, go for a ryokan.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Any recommendations on great Ryokan's? I dont care about price, etc. - but usually there is a consensus on what is great.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by jakemalloy
Any recommendations on great Ryokan's?
Tawaraya would probably get the greatest number of "best ryokan" votes.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:29 pm

A ryokan may not be everyone's cup of tea though... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...n-must-do.html
Old Sep 19, 2016, 1:05 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
If you're interested in luxury accomodations, I suggest you also do a search on the Luxury Hotels forum as this has been discussed there in the (recent) past.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 3:46 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the plug, Armagebedar!

For western style hotels, RC is preferred although that might well change when the FS opens.

For ryokan, Tarawaya and Hiiragiya get mentioned most. Not all ryokan welcome foreigners.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Sep 23, 2016 at 2:03 pm
Old Sep 25, 2016, 6:24 am
Suspended

I liked the Hoshinoya Kyoto a lot. It's neither a western hotel nor a ryokan, kind of a hybrid type of feel, but it's closer to a western hotel. It's a little out of the way, but the walk to the nearest train station is scenic. However, it's close to the bamboo forest and monkey forest, and it has some temples near by, so you can stay there for a night or two and then spend the rest of your trip elsewhere.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Silent Orange
I liked the Hoshinoya Kyoto a lot. It's neither a western hotel nor a ryokan, kind of a hybrid type of feel, but it's closer to a western hotel. It's a little out of the way, but the walk to the nearest train station is scenic. However, it's close to the bamboo forest and monkey forest, and it has some temples near by, so you can stay there for a night or two and then spend the rest of your trip elsewhere.
This is exactly what I'd like to do next time we're in Kyoto. 1-2 nights at Hoshinoya and 1-2 nights at the Ritz.

The traditional high-end ryokan experience was wonderfully unique and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world, but now that it's been checked off my bucket list, I really don't have any strong desire to revisit that in Kyoto. The rural destination onsens are a different story however; we'll return for a weekend stay every time we're in Japan.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 5:59 am

Programs: some
Originally Posted by SQ319
There will never be a consensus on the best hotel. Everyone's expectations and taste is different.

If u are looking at something luxury, the Ritz Carlton is probably the newest international branded hotel in Kyoto right now, and the Four Seasons is slated to open next month.

If u want something local and unique, go for a ryokan.

good advice. I *really* enjoy Hiiragiya (ryokan) and also *really* enjoyed the RC. I don't think you could go wrong with either.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
FWIW, have had a good experience at the Kyoto Okura, but it seems to be fully booked a great deal of the time, so "settled" for the Ritz Carlton earlier this year. Can't recall the cost differential, but our guest experience was excellent, although not *that* much better than at the Okura. YMMV.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by shuigao
Tawaraya would probably get the greatest number of "best ryokan" votes.
Tawaraya is absolutely amazing. Spent 5 days there. Best service, best rooms, best food I have ever had in any accomodation. Imagine everything in the room being hand crafted minus the plastic on the electrical outlets. That's Tawaraya. Walk into your room from coming off the street, tea and snacks delivered into your room within 3 minutes. Always.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.