Wiki Posts
Search

Narita to Ueno - where to get tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Narita to Ueno - where to get tickets?

Where would one get tickets at Narita to go to Ueno? Is this the same place one would get Narita Express tickets?
Old Sep 18, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Silent Orange
Where would one get tickets at Narita to go to Ueno? Is this the same place one would get Narita Express tickets?
It depends on if you will be using a Japan Rail Pass or not. If yes, then you need to take the Narita Express to Tokyo Station and change to the Yamanote LIne to Ueno.

A far better choice is the Keisei Skyliner which is not available using the JR Pass but which goes directly to Ueno at the Keisei-Ueno Station, right across the street from JR Ueno Station. The Skyliner is my favorite train in the Tokyo area.

The Keisei ticket counter is right across the hallway from the JR ticket office in the basement level of NRT. Find one and you will see the other.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
The line to Ueno (Keisei Ueno) is the Keisei Line. Follow signs to the airport station. Go to the Keisei ticket counter rather than the JR ticket counter.

[EDIT = abmj beat me to it. As he said, if you have a reason to prefer JR, then connect at Tokyo station].
Old Sep 18, 2016, 4:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks you both for the info. Any tips for overnighting in Ueno?

Also, how do you pronounce "Keisei" and "Ueno"?
Old Sep 18, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Thanks you both for the info. Any tips for overnighting in Ueno?
It's a rather "low rent" but colourful area, so it's easy to find cheap places to stay and eat. I'd probably avoid the places immediately outside Keisei Ueno station - Maybe head for Hotel Coco Grand or Mitsui Garden Hotel Ueno. Check Tripadvisor for up-to-date reviews.

Also, how do you pronounce "Keisei" and "Ueno"?
Keisei = "Kay" (the woman's name) "Say" (Oh say can you see ... )
https://www.howtopronounce.com/keisei/

Ueno = Like the Spanish word "bueno" without the b
https://www.howtopronounce.com/ueno/
Old Sep 18, 2016, 6:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thank you. I am booked at APA hotel keisei-ueno ekimae already, so I have to stick with that hotel. I trust that there will be plenty of small restaurants within walking distance?
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Thank you. I am booked at APA hotel keisei-ueno ekimae already, so I have to stick with that hotel. I trust that there will be plenty of small restaurants within walking distance?
Given the location of your hotel, you should definitely take the Keisei Skyliner into Tokyo. (Keisei-Ueno-Ekimae means "in front of Keisei Ueno Station.") The price is „2470, which is cheaper (and faster) than the Narita Express, so even if you want to use a JR Pass later for intercity travel--and that's the only reason to have a JR Pass-- the extra ticket won't set you back much.

There are small restaurants all over, including inside JR Ueno Station and Ueno Park. (You can patronize the shops and restaurants there without going through the ticket gate.)

The APA Hotels have a reputation for small rooms, even small by Japanese standards, but as long as you're not going to be spending a lot of time in the room, they're OK.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:16 pm

As far as restaurants nearby, TONS of places everywhere in and around JR Ueno Station. Just walk around and you'll see food everywhere (except Ueno Park). If you like ramen, go to Ichiran on the west side of JR Ueno station. If you like sushi, try Sushitsune.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 5:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Awesome, thanks for the recommendation. I like most if not all Japanese food. Might try to squeeze in a ramen, a sushi meal, and some snacks and drinks at an izakaya late night

Both Ichiran and Sushitsune are in Ueno station it seems?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Ueno is more of middle class neighborhood of Tokyo. There are less upper scale lodging and restaurants in Ueno area than some other fancier neighborhood of Tokyo. Prices at restaurants around Ueno should be reasonable. However, that translates to more likely that a restaurants around Ueno area do not have English menu and nobody at a restaurant speaks English.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Ueno is more of middle class neighborhood of Tokyo. There are less upper scale lodging and restaurants in Ueno area than some other fancier neighborhood of Tokyo. Prices at restaurants around Ueno should be reasonable. However, that translates to more likely that a restaurants around Ueno area do not have English menu and nobody at a restaurant speaks English.
That's why restaurants with either plastic models of their food in the window or menus with photographs are a blessing to the non-Japanese-speaking traveler.

My general rule is that if the prices are not somehow indicated outside the restaurant, I probably won't be able to afford it unless a client treats me.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 1:43 pm

Both Ichiran and Sushitsune are in Ueno station it seems?
Yeah, both within the station complex (Sushitsune is technically inside the Atre shopping area, Ichiran is outside along the street immediately to the west of the station bldg.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
However, that translates to more likely that a restaurants around Ueno area do not have English menu and nobody at a restaurant speaks English.
I wouldn't worry about that in the Ueno area. Not sure how much English is spoken by restaurant staff (probably little to none), but that whole area is swarming with foreign tourists. Last time I went to Ichiran at Ueno, basically everyone waiting in line was non-Japanese (tourists from Asia).
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:10 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
For various reasons, my family and I have adopted Ueno as our comfort place in Tokyo.

If you want a small discount on the Keisei Skyliner (perhaps 10%), arrange an advance "res" on the Keisei website, print the confirmation out and show it at the Keisei ticket counter. The agent will print a ticket for the next train. This works both directions. The actual credit card charge occurs when the ticket is printed at the counters.

Skyliner tickets can also be purchased with a credit card.

For only 1030 yen (about US$10) you can ride the Keisei Mainline train. This commuter train makes lots of stops and takes an extra 30 minutes to make the run to or from Ueno.

I've taken both trains many times and really like Keisei.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Talking Keisei is more enthralling.

Yes, this is the way I generally get from Narita to Tokyo.
The aspect you may have to concentrate on is that there are now two routes from NRT to Ueno on Keisei: The Main Line (via Keisei-Sakura), and the Access Express (via Imba-Nihon-Idai). The Main Line costs less [„1,030] then the Access Express [„1,240]. The Main Line is fast enough for me. Boarding at NRT Terminal 1 gives you time to choose a car closer to your destination exit (and put your baggage on the over-window rack). Each line leaves from a different portion of the Keisei platforms at the NRT terminal stations. Additionally, many (but not all) Access Express trains, instead of terminating at Ueno, through-route via the Keisei Oshiage Line onto the Toei Asakusa Line for one-seat service to additional areas of Tokyo, as well as the Keikyu Main Line for Shinagawa, Kamata, and beyond.
It is a captivating ride. I prefer Ueno & Asakusa to the west side of Tokyo as far as accomodations are. {But that's me. YMMV }

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.