jphripjah reviews Japanese baseball stadiums

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

jphripjah reviews Japanese baseball stadiums

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I went to a Giants game at the Tokyo Dome two weeks ago. First baseball game I've ever been to with a stand band.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by txflyer77
I went to a Giants game at the Tokyo Dome two weeks ago. First baseball game I've ever been to with a stand band.
Always a feature of any Japanese baseball game I would not classify it as a "stand band", but I know what you mean. The cheering section is great.

Went to a number of games this month, and for the first time sat in the outfield section at the Seibu Dome. This is the artificial grass area where you sit on an incline. Great fun and 1/2 price beer night certainly helped.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by mapleg
Always a feature of any Japanese baseball game I would not classify it as a "stand band", but I know what you mean. The cheering section is great.

Went to a number of games this month, and for the first time sat in the outfield section at the Seibu Dome. This is the artificial grass area where you sit on an incline. Great fun and 1/2 price beer night certainly helped.
The opposing team appeared to have a brass section and drumline with them. The cheering from the Giants fans was incredible though.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:11 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Baseball was a demonstration sport in the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. Japan won the gold. The Japanese team happened to be on my flight from LAX to NRT. They were happy but not going crazy like Americans would have been.

When we arrived at NRT camera crews with lights filmed the team's arrival. It was eerily quiet. Not one cheer. Nothing. Just the players silently walking past the camera crews. A classic demonstration of Japanese humility and reserve.

That evening I saw the arrival on TV at the hotel. It was exactly the same: complete silence.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Great trip report.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
^ ^ ^

We attended our first (and only) Hanshin Tigers game a couple of years ago. Good to know we picked the best stadium (to be fair it was the only game that matched well with our itinerary). It was one of the highlights of the trip. The food selection is unbelievable!

Coincidentally we received Mr. Baseball from Netflix and watched it earlier tonight. Won't win any awards but brought back great memories, like the 7th inning release of the condom-shaped balloons.

P.S. Have only been to 20/30 MLB stadiums - this year's add was Miller Field. Of course we love our home park in SF but I have to agree with my son who said "dad I think this one is better." Love the fact that every food item comes with a side of cheese.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The 2017 regular season schedule has been released. I'll probably go back next year to see the remaining three stadiums - home games of the Giants, Marines, and Swallows.

Here's the schedule:

http://www.japanballtickets.com/baseball-calendar.html

Last edited by jphripjah; Nov 11, 2016 at 8:42 am
Old Nov 14, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by jphripjah
The 2017 regular season schedule has been released. I'll probably go back next year to see the remaining three stadiums - home games of the Giants, Marines, and Swallows.

Here's the schedule:

http://www.japanballtickets.com/baseball-calendar.html
Hey, thanks for the update.

I also checked the Nippon Baseball site and the Japanese version has printable PDF's for each month. Looks like times will be set later, but at least I can plan for our next trip in April. Let's me set the framework up for where I will be travelling

Here's April as an example

http://npb.jp/games/2017/schedule_04.pdf
Old Nov 15, 2016, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks. Weekday games almost always start at 6 p.m.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:33 am
Original Poster

As I promised last year, I have now updated the original post and completed the rankings of all the NPB ballparks after having the pleasure of visiting the last three stadiums (the Tokyo Dome, Meiji Jingu Stadium, and ZOZO Marine Stadium) this week.
Old May 6, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I was able to attend games in 3 new (to me) parks this year as part of my trip in April - Tokyo Dome, Nagoya Dome, Kyocera Dome, along with 2 parks I'd been to before (Meiji Jingu and Koshien). I had plans to attend a Seibu Lions game, but ran out of energy at the end of my trip. I sat in the cheering sections for all games except the Tokyo Dome where the ouendan was sold out and I ended up sitting in a section full of visitors (Tigers) fans.

Since I first read this thread before my recent trip, and then reread as you updated, after my recent trip, it was a nice reminder.

Thanks for posting and updating!
Old May 7, 2017, 4:16 am
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
TIL Jingumae is in Shinjuku-ku -- albeit just barely. Cross the street to the west and head south and you've immediately crossed the line into Shibuya-ku. Head south of the stadium and you're in Aoyama which is part of Minato-ku.
Old May 7, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by KPT
TIL Jingumae is in Shinjuku-ku -- albeit just barely. Cross the street to the west and head south and you've immediately crossed the line into Shibuya-ku. Head south of the stadium and you're in Aoyama which is part of Minato-ku.
Jingumae is a district of Shibuya ku.
Meiji jingu baseball stadium is not in Jingumae.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah
As I promised last year, I have now updated the original post and completed the rankings of all the NPB ballparks after having the pleasure of visiting the last three stadiums (the Tokyo Dome, Meiji Jingu Stadium, and ZOZO Marine Stadium) this week.
Wanted to thank you for putting together this comprehensive guide. We're (husband, me and 2 teenagers) looking at buying tickets to see the Giants play the Dragons on June 24. Do you recommend Print at Home method through the Giants ticketing site? Any particular section you recommend at the Giants stadium? Thanks again.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

I do recommend buying on the Giants' website and using the print at home method, it's about as easy as it gets.

I just checked availability for that game and at first I thought it must be sold out because the page was only showing other games. Then I saw a line saying "Find Other Game Tickets on Calendar."

There are seats available but note that this is a Saturday game and other games in June have already sold out so I would recommend buying tickets as soon as possible. It looks like there aren't many blocks of four seats together remaining.

You'll see in my review I have two Tokyo Dome photos from the vantage point of my seats. The last photo (with the waving beer girl) was taken from my original seat in the 17th row opposite the third base bag. I thought that seat was too close because I don't like watching games from behind the high screens. I made a note in my phone that 30th row and higher would be better for those infield box seats. I think all those seats are sold out now for your game on the 24th.

The first photo was taken from nosebleed seats I moved to, and as you can see it's a pretty good view. That seat would be in one of the light blue sections on the seating chart behind first base.

When you book online, it will offer you sections like "C" and "FC" but the best thing to do is click on "seating chart" and then click one of the colored sections marked "available" and then see the exact seats and whether they have four together. You might have to split up 2+2 if you want better seats.

The Yakult Swallows are also playing at home on the 24th and there might be better ticket availability for that game. Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.