Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Haneda to Expand International Flight Facility (rumor)

Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus

Currently there are three terminals at HND, Terminal 1 (JAL), Terminal 2 (ANA), and International Terminal. Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 are domestic terminals. However, current International Terminal does not have physical space to expand further at this moment.

Now there is a plan to expand domestic Terminal 2 and new expanded area will be international capable gates. This is part of the plan to further increase international flights at HND.

The plan I saw on the press release looks as there will be new addition built at south end of Terminal 2 with CIQ facilities to handle departing and international passengers, and make South Pier end gates at Terminal 2 (Gate 66 – 73) into domestic/international capable gates.

Also, currently there are open spots at north of Terminal 2, airplanes parked with stairs and passengers bussed between the terminal. The new plan will also build terminal building at this location and passengers will be boarding via boarding bridge from the terminal building rather than stairs. This new terminal gate facility north of current Terminal 2 will be domestic only gates.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:10 am

Hmm, does that mean only ANA international flights or code share flights will be able to use the new expanded area? It's nice and all, but only if they add more flights (specifically red eye ones) haha. All those updated North America to HND flight schedule just plainly bad imo.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 3:20 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Seems like the most logical way to do it, kinda like how JL + partners dominate NRT T2. So the new HND T2-Int'l would be for NH+partners while everyone else stays in the existing Int'l facility.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Yet another way for the Japanese govt to stick it to JAL.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Currently there are three terminals at HND, Terminal 1 (JAL), Terminal 2 (ANA), and International Terminal. Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 are domestic terminals. However, current International Terminal does not have physical space to expand further at this moment.

Now there is a plan to expand domestic Terminal 2 and new expanded area will be international capable gates. This is part of the plan to further increase international flights at HND.

The plan I saw on the press release looks as there will be new addition built at south end of Terminal 2 with CIQ facilities to handle departing and international passengers, and make South Pier end gates at Terminal 2 (Gate 66 – 73) into domestic/international capable gates.

Also, currently there are open spots at north of Terminal 2, airplanes parked with stairs and passengers bussed between the terminal. The new plan will also build terminal building at this location and passengers will be boarding via boarding bridge from the terminal building rather than stairs. This new terminal gate facility north of current Terminal 2 will be domestic only gates.
When will this happen? It took a long time for the current International Terminal to be built.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:21 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
This is still very much in the planning stages, and could easily be halted.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:52 am

http://www.nippon.com/en/behind/l10160/

"Seven airplane parking lots in the southern part of [Terminal 2] will be made available for international flights, with two of them exclusively for international flights. Construction and other related work is scheduled to start this autumn at the earliest."

This makes it sound as if they perhaps intend to install CIQ facilities for the gates in the southern wing of T2 - perhaps removing gate 73 (building on the site of the old international terminal) and keeping gates 66-72? But seven gates seems to be not enough for NH's international schedule so they will have to split flights between terminals, which could turn out to be an unpopular move.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by joejones
But seven gates seems to be not enough for NH's international schedule so they will have to split flights between terminals, which could turn out to be an unpopular move.
I'm assuming we'll see a shuttle bus operation for airside connections between the two terminals then? Can't think of what else would be feasible.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:36 am

Official announcement in Japanese.

http://www.tokyo-airport-bldg.co.jp/..._0925_0617.pdf

It looks like they are going to rebuild the south end of the terminal. CIQ, international baggage claim and other facilities will use the area around existing Gate 73, which will be demolished and moved over to the south. Gates 66-69 and 71 will be convertible between domestic and international use while Gates 72 and 73 will be international only. Construction is expected to be complete by Feb 2020.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by joejones
Construction is expected to be complete by Feb 2020.
All construction projects in Japan are to be completed by mid-2020 at the latest. I think it's in the Constitution, article V.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.