Nightly Accommodations for 5 Friends | Tokyo, Kyoto & Osaka

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

Working on some of the details and appreciate replies so far in other topics. Tokyo and Kyoto are for sure with potentially a day in Osaka.

Seems have many options from local hotels, basic hotels(bunk beds w/ communal showers), guest houses and US Chain Hotels. With 5 people it makes things a little different as we'd prefer not to have a room and people sleeping all over the floor. It seems a guest house style would be best but looking for best options.

What kind of accommodations or types of properties should we be looking for in the opinion of the seasoned traveler. First time for us and a total leisure trip for a little over a week.

Thanks!
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Working on some of the details and appreciate replies so far in other topics. Tokyo and Kyoto are for sure with potentially a day in Osaka.

Seems have many options from local hotels, basic hotels(bunk beds w/ communal showers), guest houses and US Chain Hotels. With 5 people it makes things a little different as we'd prefer not to have a room and people sleeping all over the floor. It seems a guest house style would be best but looking for best options.

What kind of accommodations or types of properties should we be looking for in the opinion of the seasoned traveler. First time for us and a total leisure trip for a little over a week.

Thanks!
What's YOUR definition of "best option". What are your main considerations? Price? Location? Do u prefer all to be together? or Different rooms?

Personally, if I am travelling with 4 other friends I would look for an apartment-style lodging. I know some people here frown on airbnb, but I've used it with no issues, and will recommend that too...

Also Osaka is only 30 minutes from Kyoto, so you may want to do it as a day trip from Kyoto instead of a one-nighter in Osaka.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Info like you are suggesting. An AirBNB is a good idea. "Best Option" was broad and looking for many types of options. A slightly more expensive spot that 5 people can comfortably sleep makes it a good deal. As opposed to premium hotel and we need 2 or 3 rooms.

Assume there is a train to do Osaka from Kyoto that the JR Rail Pass will cover?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:52 pm

Info like you are suggesting. An AirBNB is a good idea. "Best Option" was broad and looking for many types of options. A slightly more expensive spot that 5 people can comfortably sleep makes it a good deal. As opposed to premium hotel and we need 2 or 3 rooms.

Assume there is a train to do Osaka from Kyoto that the JR Rail Pass will cover?
Do a search on airbnb for the days you need and see what's available. SInce there are 5 of you, i'll do a search for 7 or 8 pax, just to give yourself a bit of space as Japan apartments are tiny. Also do note on the bed configuration as well, as some apartments are furnished Japanese style, ie. futon beds (floor mattress, in airbnb terms), rather than proper beds.

Yes, the JR rail pass will cover Kyoto to Osaka as well.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 2:17 am

Another thing to consider would be business hotels with small individual rooms. Five separate rooms in a cheap business hotel (4000-yen range) might work out cheaper than other options, and would certainly cut down on waits to use the bathroom.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by lobsterdog
Another thing to consider would be business hotels with small individual rooms. Five separate rooms in a cheap business hotel (4000-yen range) might work out cheaper than other options, and would certainly cut down on waits to use the bathroom.
THIS.

I don't know what your budget is, but Tokyo is going to be the most expensive place to stay, no matter what. However, you should be able to find single rooms for Ą6-7000 per person, which is much cheaper than you could stay in most respectable hotels in North America or Europe. You should easily be able to find Ą4000 business hotels in smaller cities.

When going to an unfamiliar city, I'm a great fan of Booking.com, which I have used in Japan, Korea, and Europe. You input your destination city, number of people, and dates, and then you ask for a list starting with the lowest price. Unless you want to all share a room, it might be best to search for single rooms.

The resulting list will start with hostels and go up to five-star hotels, quoting a total (not per-night) price for the length of time you want to stay.

The listings are accompanied by photos of the property and customer ratings and reviews.

Some of the backpackers' hostels and "gaijin houses" give you a choice of dorm-style accommodations or single rooms, so don't rule them out.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I would suggest an airbnb. Many of them are specifically set up for many people, with bunk beds, or a bunch of single beds.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
I would suggest an airbnb. Many of them are specifically set up for many people, with bunk beds, or a bunch of single beds.
What I was finding was sleeps 5-8 in the Japanese style. IE small and crammed in but we don't plan to be spending much time there except sleeping. Thanks.

Originally Posted by lobsterdog
When you say 'business hotel' is that the search term I should use?

Originally Posted by SQ319
Do a search on airbnb for the days you need and see what's available. SInce there are 5 of you, i'll do a search for 7 or 8 pax, just to give yourself a bit of space as Japan apartments are tiny. Also do note on the bed configuration as well, as some apartments are furnished Japanese style, ie. futon beds (floor mattress, in airbnb terms), rather than proper beds.

Yes, the JR rail pass will cover Kyoto to Osaka as well.
Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
What I was finding was sleeps 5-8 in the Japanese style. IE small and crammed in but we don't plan to be spending much time there except sleeping. Thanks.
When searching for Airbnbs in Tokyo I always recommend 'upgrading' your needs - if you have 5pp, filter for apts that are meant for 7-8 and have 2 bedrooms. This ensures that you filter out places where you have to use up every available surface in the apt for sleeping.

I stayed in an Airbnb this May - 3 of us landed in a 2BR in Shibuya and a real 2BR in that we also had a common living/dining room and kitchenette.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:02 am

Just look for hotels and note the ones that are in the lower price range that aren't hostels or capsule hotels. Some names are APA, Smile, Richmond, R&B, Dormy Inn, JAL City, Washington, Hokke Club, and Mystays.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: UA, NW

Thanks!
What lobsterdog said. A search site like booking.com will list everything that is available for your time period, and will list the properties in order of price, if you so choose.

Tokyo is so huge that booking sites divide it into sections. As a tourist, figure out first what you want to see and do, find the locations on a map, and then figure out where you want to stay.

As a first-time visitor, you want to be near one of the stations on the JR Yamanote Line or near a subway station inside the Yamanote "circle." This is not necessarily because you will be using the Yamanote a lot--depending on what you want to see, the subway may be a more efficient means of transportation--but because that will ensure that you book a central location.

(One advantage of booking.com is that while you need a credit card to reserve the rooms, you don't have to pay till you arrive, and you can cancel without penalty up to 24 hours in advance.)
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksandness
What lobsterdog said. A search site like booking.com will list everything that is available for your time period, and will list the properties in order of price, if you so choose.

Tokyo is so huge that booking sites divide it into sections. As a tourist, figure out first what you want to see and do, find the locations on a map, and then figure out where you want to stay.

As a first-time visitor, you want to be near one of the stations on the JR Yamanote Line or near a subway station inside the Yamanote "circle." This is not necessarily because you will be using the Yamanote a lot--depending on what you want to see, the subway may be a more efficient means of transportation--but because that will ensure that you book a central location.

(One advantage of booking.com is that while you need a credit card to reserve the rooms, you don't have to pay till you arrive, and you can cancel without penalty up to 24 hours in advance.)

Appreciate the detailed response!
Old Sep 16, 2016, 1:58 am

Just a quick comment that these days Agoda has a lot of apartments/weekly mansions in their booking engine. Some of them seem like they are/were airbnb but some look like they are using Agoda to open up the weekly mansion 'market' to foreign tourists rather than just japanese businessmen. For example I've just booked one for Osaka for two weeks starting from next sunday and had a few hundred to choose from which is better availability than hotel rooms.

Since they have so many you can look at really big 4-5 bedroom apartments or look at getting 2 or 3 smaller apartments in the same building. These do tend to be more japanese style apartments but they are great value for money and only really being made available to foreigners in any sort of volume quite recently.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 3:58 am

Programs: Miles and More, IHG, ANA Mileage Club, Hilton Honors
I would also favour Airbnb, for budget and convenience: you will find places that are cheaper than hotels, usually with a kitchen, with is handy (for having breakfast at home, for example). I would look for a whole property for 6 people.
I can send you a promo link if you have not registered yet (send me a private message if you need a promo code).
Take the time to read the property descriptions and guest reviews to make a suitable choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.