Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Re-entering Japan after clearing immigration immediately?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Hey all,

Would like to ask about the feasibility/legality of immediately re-entering Japan after clearing immigration.

So I am here in Japan on an internship visa ("Designated Activities"). Silly me booked a rail pass that requires "Temporary Visitor" status for some traveling at the end of the work term. So I am looking for the fastest way to convert.

My plan is to book a cheapo international ticket, enter air-side through security and immigration, and then immediately enter Japan again as a visitor. Is this possible at any of HND, NRT, or KIX with the way the airports are set up? I also have two passports if that matters.

Or is it possible to just go to immigration bureau either in Tokyo or at the airport to ask them to change it?

If none of those seems feasible, I guess I have to do a quick hop to Korea or something.

Thanks and any ideas are welcome
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
Near the end of your designated activities status, go to your regional immigration office that services the area you are living in (in Tokyo, either the big Shinagawa office or the Tachikawa branch office, the zoo at the Shinagawa office makes the trip to Tachikawa not that bad, or if you live on the border of Kanagawa there's the option of using the Kanagawa office, I think the same is if you are on the border with Chiba or Saitama). Submit an "Application for Change of Status of Residence " from Designated Activities to Temporary Visitor.

Here's a copy of the change form to temporary visitor from the immigration website:
http://www.moj.go.jp/content/000103484.pdf

Cost is 4000yen in revenue stamps (収入印紙, shuunyuu inshi) which can be purchased a the convenience store in the first floor of the Shinagawa office, but there's usually a long line there, you can get the revenue stamps at post offices as well.

The only issue is this process I do not think is completed the same day (but I'm not sure since it's a switch to the temporary visitor status). Regular changes takes 2 weeks to 3 months depending on the complexity of the change. But I don't expect a change to temporary visitor to take too long. If you are not sure, just ring up immigration or ask when you are at their office.

The other option is hop over to Korea or Taiwan for a day and return. Make a 1 day trip out of it.

Two passports shouldn't matter since you are fingerprinted and photograph is recorded, immigration can easily pull your records.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by joe4mavs
Or is it possible to just go to immigration bureau either in Tokyo or at the airport to ask them to change it?
Many years ago I changed from a work visa to a temporary visitor visitor visa at the Shimonoseki immigration office. (I just happened to be visiting Shimonoseki after working in Yamanashi for several years). You don't need to leave the country and re-enter.

You should expect this to be more than a "rubber stamp" exercise. The immigration officer will want to confirm that you are eligible for the temporary visitor status. So be ready to confirm that you won't be doing any work after the change of status, that you have the means to support yourself during your visit, and that you have a ticket out of Japan. (I neglected to book a ticket out of Japan before changing my visa status - but I was able to show funds in my bank account, and the agent agreed that I would be unlikely to "overstay").
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
There is no way you can re-enter immigration on your own in any major Japanese airport I've passed through. Arriving flights are on a different floor. This would require the assistance of airport staff who would then have immigration just invalidate your previous exit stamp rather than issue you a new entry one.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 6:18 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Just get a refund on the JR pass and forget your ideas of doing some end runabout of the immigration system.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
Just get a refund on the JR pass and forget your ideas of doing some end runabout of the immigration system.
There's nothing evasive about changing visa status. It's not an "end run" - It's a "walk right up to the counter, look the agent in the eye, and follow the process run".
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:25 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
There is no way you can re-enter immigration on your own in any major Japanese airport I've passed through. Arriving flights are on a different floor. This would require the assistance of airport staff who would then have immigration just invalidate your previous exit stamp rather than issue you a new entry one.
Not true. Very easy to do. I do think the immigration officer would ask questions especially if your near the approved length of stay on your original entry.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:36 am

If you take the train from Tokyo to NRT or HND, without going airside, and ask to speak to an immigration officer about a visa status change, someone will direct you to the Tokyo Immigration Bureau or one of the regional immigration offices.
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/arrange/es...migration.html
Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
As I mentioned in the 2nd post and similar to jib71's past experience, you can file the necessary paperwork at one of the regional immigration offices without needing to purchase an airline ticket or going to the airport.

You can also speak to immigration for questions about changing status of residency etc:

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/info/
Old Sep 9, 2016, 3:41 pm

One idea is to get a cheap flight on a Low Cost Carrier like Air Asia and fly to Thailand for a few days and come back to Japan. If your work ends early you could fly out for a few days and reenter Japan on a visitor status. I am sure many people do this as they mix work with pleasure.

Enjoy a couple of days before your rail pass starts in Thailand at a nice resort in Phuket or a hotel in Bangkok and then fly back to Japan.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 8:11 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
If you have some miles banked up, Japan to Seoul flights are typically super cheap due to the short distance. You could probably score a free one just by signing up for an airline credit card in the US.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Back in the old days, it was impossible to change one's visa status in Japan. You had to leave the country and apply at a Japanese embassy or consulate overseas.

An enterprising travel agent in Tokyo offered "visa tours" to Korea, arranging for flights and hotels for foreigners who needed to change their status, usually from tourist to working.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.