What to do on Culture Day?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select

I'm in Tokyo arriving evening of November 2 leaving morning November 5. Just found out that November 3 is Culture Day. What are some recommended activities?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Culture Day (文化の日) is just another holiday in Japan, there is nothing traditionally people do on that day. It is another holiday so tourist places tend to be busier.

The government says this was the day the new Japanese Constitution (the one which was pretty much written by the U.S.) went into effect after the World War II. It became a holiday on 1948, from prospective of Japanese history this holiday was established pretty much just yesterday, no traditional activities associated with this holiday.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Culture Day (文化の日) is just another holiday in Japan, there is nothing traditionally people do on that day. It is another holiday so tourist places tend to be busier.

The government says this was the day the new Japanese Constitution (the one which was pretty much written by the U.S.) went into effect after the World War II. It became a holiday on 1948, from prospective of Japanese history this holiday was established pretty much just yesterday, no traditional activities associated with this holiday.
Are there any free activities/museums?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: UA, NW
When I was a student, the university had special activities for Culture Day. I was told at the time that it was a rebranding of Emperor Meiji's birthday.

However, the main effect that you will see is that government facilities and business offices will be closed.

For any special museum exhibitions, etc., check the English-language press or Tokyo Metro magazine. I do not know of any annual events that held on Culture Day.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
During most holidays and holiday weekends, Tokyo tends to be busy, with traffiic jams even though there's no rush hour and higher hotel prices. [An exception would be the August holiday where people go to the mountains.]
Old Aug 19, 2016, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Meiji Jingu

As well as a major and solemn ceremony to mark the Emperor's Birthday on Culture Day, Meiji Jingu has published this calendar of cultural events:
http://www.meijijingu.or.jp/english/ceremonies/2.html
You will likely see kids dressed up for 7-5-3 as it is a date when the elders of the family are off work which is not too far from the optimum 15th November target date.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by LapLap
... You will likely see kids dressed up for 7-5-3 as it is a date when the elders of the family are off work which is not too far from the optimum 15th November target date.
The few times I have been in Tokyo on that particular day, I did get some very nice photos of little kids in "ichi-go-san" garb at Senso-ji in Asakusa. The temple grounds were very crowded but the photos made it worth it.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
The few times I have been in Tokyo on that particular day, I did get some very nice photos of little kids in "ichi-go-san" garb at Senso-ji in Asakusa. The temple grounds were very crowded but the photos made it worth it.
"That particular day"???

Are you referring to November the 3rd or November the 15th?

Slots for families commemorating "shichi-go-san" at Meiji Jingu have already been booked up and booked out for many dates throughout November. I know my own family's reasons for wanting to celebrate at Meiji Jingu (a Shinto shrine), and why we, like many others, will be attending in late October. But I don't really understand 7-5-3 at Senso-Ji (Buddhist) so I don't know if families will be there for this on the 3rd November. I imagine they would be, but that's just an assumption.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Shichi-Go-San is considered to be on November 15. Meant to celebrate girls three and seven years old, and boys five years old.

Meiji Shrine is on a resting place of Meiji Emperor (1852-1912) and built on 1920. It is considered very recent event for Japanese history. Hence, celebration of Shichi-Go-San at Meiji Shrine on November 3 (Meiji Emperor's birth day) is very recent event and not considered historical in Japan.

I do think most people still do Shichi-Go-San on November 15 but for some who places very strong value to Meiji Emperor and worship at Meiji Shrine do Shichi-Go-San on November 3.

I think it can be said that Shichi-Go-San is November 15, and those worship at Meiji Shrine do Shichi-Go-San on November 3 which is very small number in respect to entire population in Japan. Also, not every Japanese do Shichi-Go-San.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: UA, NW
I saw kids dressed up for Shichi-Go-San at Meiji Shrine in early November on a previous visit, and I asked the parents of one kimono-clad child why.

They said that November 15 wasn't convenient for everyone, so they just picked a date that was.

At least the custom of a couple of decades ago, in which a few people substituted child-size Western-style formal wear for kimono, seems to have died out.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having now completed our shichi go san trip, the idea that most people would do it on the 15th November unless they had a particular reason not to seems even more like conjecture.
Yes, the 15th is a peak time, but participation is clearly spread out throughout October and November.
Meiji Jingu offers a kimono hire and photography service as well as the blessing on weekends (not sure if Bank Holidays are included). But weekdays are also busy even without the full service. There are a few photography and hire studios nearby and a steady stream of kids arrive at the shrine from late morning until the afternoon. Helps that sizeable discounts are offered at the studios for midweek dressing and photography sessions.
We did it on October 24th (Monday) and saw at least 9 other kids within the short time we were there (not including a few more at the studio who had just returned or were just about to leave as we got back). The photo studio itself was REALLY busy and at full capacity just with 7-5-3 customers. lso
We were very happy to have commemorated obi toki on an off peak day. One obviously pays a hefty premium to celebrate 7-5-3 on the 15th November in Central Tokyo (and there can only be a limited amount of full service slots at the shrines) so I completely understand why so many families choose alternative dates.
Turned out that our busy off peak Monday was Tomobiki in the Rokuyo calendar (a mostly "good luck" day, particularly for our 2:30pm shrine slot). Another factor that would have some influence on shrine activity (also periodically affects the chances of getting a booking at certain hotels)

Last edited by LapLap; Nov 6, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.