Comfort inn shirakawa or kanda?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comfort inn shirakawa or kanda?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
I'm seeing two comfort inns available for my dates, shirakawa and kanda. What's a better location?

One more question what is better of these two Richmond hotels?

Mejiro or suidobashi or musashino? And what's the best of all 4? Price is similar for all.

Last edited by armagebedar; Aug 18, 2016 at 5:28 am Reason: subsequent posts by same poster
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:32 pm

What is the purpose of your trip? Where you want to stay also depends on what you will be visiting etc.

Between the 2 Comfort Inns, Kanda is better located, closer to the major attractions than Shirakawa.

Between the 3 Richmond Hotels, Mejiro and Suidobashi are better located. Either location is okay though Suidobashi has better accessibility to 3 different rail and subway lines.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:41 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
The Comfort Hotel Kiyosumi Shirakawa is rather out of the way on the wrong side of the river but is right on a subway line that can get you most anywhere. The Kanda property is more centered in the city but is several blocks walk from a JR station. I don't know what dining options might be near the Shirakawa property. Kanda should have plenty.

Frankly, if you can get in at anything close in price, the Comfort Hotel Higashi Nihonbashi would be my preference over the other two.

Comfort Hotels are a step up from the run-of-the-mill business hotel and are my usual go-to when I need decent but not deluxe accommodations. They usually offer somewhat larger beds, good LAN or wi-fi, on-site coin laundry facilities and decent breakfast buffet.

I can't offer specifics on the Richmond choices. They have a similar reputation but I haven't stayed there.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
I ended up booking shirakawa because of availability. The location is similar to toyoko inn Monzen-nakacho Eitaibashi which I had reserved but closer to the subway line.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Comfort Hotels are a step up from the run-of-the-mill business hotel and are my usual go-to when I need decent but not deluxe accommodations. They usually offer somewhat larger beds, good LAN or wi-fi, on-site coin laundry facilities and decent breakfast buffet.

I can't offer specifics on the Richmond choices. They have a similar reputation but I haven't stayed there.
I agree that Comfort Hotels are decent and certainly better than a lot of business hotel chains. However, Richmond's on a different level imho.

I will disclose that I've only stayed at Comfort Hotel a couple times, Richmonds many times. But all the Richmonds I've stayed at were of fairly similar quality, and so were the two Comforts I've stayed at. Richmond has a little more robust service, better bathrooms, much better room amenities (eg, toiletries), far better breakfasts.

In terms of breakfast quality (1~10 scale):
Hampton Inn (US) 2
Comfort (Jpn) 4
Richmond (Jpn) 9

I think Comfort in Jpn are okay, probably better than Comfort Inns in US (although I haven't stayed at a Comfort Inn in >10yrs). But as someone who's moved on from staying at places like Hampton Inn in US or just about all biz hotels in Jpn, Richmond is completely fine but Comfort Hotel isn't. I had to stay at a Comfort Hotel last year and hated it. On the other hand, I like Richmond and will continue to use them.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
I agree that Comfort Hotels are decent and certainly better than a lot of business hotel chains. However, Richmond's on a different level imho.

I will disclose that I've only stayed at Comfort Hotel a couple times, Richmonds many times. But all the Richmonds I've stayed at were of fairly similar quality, and so were the two Comforts I've stayed at. Richmond has a little more robust service, better bathrooms, much better room amenities (eg, toiletries), far better breakfasts.

In terms of breakfast quality (1~10 scale):
Hampton Inn (US) 2
Comfort (Jpn) 4
Richmond (Jpn) 9

I think Comfort in Jpn are okay, probably better than Comfort Inns in US (although I haven't stayed at a Comfort Inn in >10yrs). But as someone who's moved on from staying at places like Hampton Inn in US or just about all biz hotels in Jpn, Richmond is completely fine but Comfort Hotel isn't. I had to stay at a Comfort Hotel last year and hated it. On the other hand, I like Richmond and will continue to use them.
Comfort is better than toyoko inn?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by slickvik
Comfort is better than toyoko inn?
It's been a long time since I've stayed at a Toyoko Inn. But I would think that Comfort is better.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by evergrn
... I would think that Comfort is better.
Agreed.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by slickvik
I ended up booking shirakawa because of availability. The location is similar to toyoko inn Monzen-nakacho Eitaibashi which I had reserved but closer to the subway line.
Shirakawa area has a lot of sumo stables. I like cheap but very good izakayas around there. Tokyo Sky Tree tower is under 1000 yen by cab iirc. Have fun.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: UA, NW
Yes, the Comfort Hotels are better than Toyoko Inn, although not as widely available. Certainly they have better breakfasts than the coffee plus o-nigiri offered at the typical Toyoko Inn.

As for the Richmond Hotel Musashino, that would put you into one of the suburban subcenters of the Tokyo metropolitan area, with a ride on the Chuo Line required to get anywhere interesting.

The Suidobashi property is located between the Suidobashi and Kasuga subway stations, about 500 meters from the JR Suidobashi station.

The Mejiro property appears to be about a block from Mejiro Station on the Yamanote Line, but there are no subway options.

The Kiyosumi-Shirakawa Comfort Hotel is located near the station of the same name, which has two major subway lines running through it. Personally, I like staying in neighborhoods like that, because it gets you out of Generic International Business Land.

The Kanda Comfort Hotel is not particularly near Kanda Station, but it is located right next to an expressway, which could cause problems with noise and air quality.

I have no personal experience with any of these hotels, but Google maps can be extremely informative.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
I stayed at Kanda Comfort Inn many years ago..it was ok. No noise from expressway. Maybe a 5 minutes walk from Kanda station.

Better than a Toyoko inn in my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.