Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

06:30 KIX arrival with 11 hour layover, options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2016, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: aa

We are headed back to the US tomorrow after a couple of weeks in SE Asia. We have an early morning arrival into KIX and then an 11 hour layover. We have two 16 year old boys with us. What are some good options for us with that early arrival? We definitely want to leave the airport. Is going to namba worth it? If so, which train do we take to get there and back?

Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 25, 2016, 2:39 am

Programs: Delta
You could take limited express Rapi:t train straight to Nanba.
http://www.howto-osaka.com/en/railwa...table.html#kix

Yes, I think definitely worth it. Near Nanba, 10 minutes walking, is Den-Den town, which is known for electronics, similar to Akihabara in Tokyo. Lots to see and do in Osaka.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2157.html

Have you been to Japan before? A quick trip to Kyoto would also be possible.

Last edited by nishimark; Jun 25, 2016 at 2:53 am
Old Jun 25, 2016, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nishimark
You could take limited express Rapi:t train straight to Nanba.
http://www.howto-osaka.com/en/railwa...table.html#kix

Yes, I think definitely worth it. Near Nanba, 10 minutes walking, is Den-Den town, which is known for electronics, similar to Akihabara in Tokyo. Lots to see and do in Osaka.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2157.html

Have you been to Japan before? A quick trip to Kyoto would also be possible.
Thanks!

We have been to Tokyo a few times, but that's it.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 5:03 am

Programs: Delta
If you want a look at old Japan, Kyoto would be nice, maybe Kiyomizu dera and surrounding area. If you want big city Japan hustle and bustle, then Nanba. Have a good one. We're expecting rain in the afternoon, so something to think about.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Kyoto is only 20 minutes further on the airport express, the Haruka. Either Osaka or Kyoto are doable.

I prefer Kyoto but others do Osaka. Since you have seen "big city" Japan in Tokyo, you might like to see "traditional" Japan in Kyoto. See a big temple, garden or palace. With limited time, I'd splurge on cabs and cherry pick a few choice sites.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Kyoto is only 20 minutes further on the airport express, the Haruka. Either Osaka or Kyoto are doable.

I prefer Kyoto but others do Osaka. Since you have seen "big city" Japan in Tokyo, you might like to see "traditional" Japan in Kyoto. See a big temple, garden or palace. With limited time, I'd splurge on cabs and cherry pick a few choice sites.
Actually, Kyoto takes considerably longer time to get to from KIX. Nanba's only like 45min from KIX, Kyoto more like 1.5hrs.

For an 11hr layover, OP would probably have up to 5.5hr in Kyoto and 7hr in Nanba. There's a lot going on in a fairly compact area in the immediate vicinity of Nanba. With Kyoto, since major sights are quite a ways away from the main station, you'd need to factor in additional transport time after you get to Kyoto. So this will further cut into your time. But that's still enough time to do Kiyomizudera, walk down the hill with all the shops, check out another temple, walk a bit thru Gion, and have lunch.

If you've never been to Kyoto, I'd probably do Kyoto. If you're more interested in shopping and eating, then stick to Nanba.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
Actually, Kyoto takes considerably longer time to get to from KIX. Nanba's only like 45min from KIX, Kyoto more like 1.5hrs.

For an 11hr layover, OP would probably have up to 5.5hr in Kyoto and 7hr in Nanba. There's a lot going on in a fairly compact area in the immediate vicinity of Nanba. With Kyoto, since major sights are quite a ways away from the main station, you'd need to factor in additional transport time after you get to Kyoto. So this will further cut into your time. But that's still enough time to do Kiyomizudera, walk down the hill with all the shops, check out another temple, walk a bit thru Gion, and have lunch.

If you've never been to Kyoto, I'd probably do Kyoto. If you're more interested in shopping and eating, then stick to Nanba.
The boys want to eat and my wife wants to shop. So it looks like we will probably stick with Nanba.

Thanks everyone for the help!
Old Jun 25, 2016, 10:25 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
... Kyoto more like 1.5hrs. ...
75 minutes, but who is counting.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
75 minutes, but who is counting.
I wrote ballpark numbers off the top of my head earlier. But I looked it up now and it seems like Haruka takes anywhere between 80-100min on KIX-Kyoto, whereas Nankai's Rapid express takes 38-44min on KIX-Nanba. OP would probably take the 7.27a Haruka which would take 95min.

Originally Posted by travelinterpreters
The boys want to eat and my wife wants to shop. So it looks like we will probably stick with Nanba.
Hey, I'm really sorry. I didn't see earlier that you're landing at 6.30am. If that's the case, you're probably going to get to Nanba ~8.30am. Most stores won't be open that early. I know Nanba Parks won't be. I don't know what you could do to kill time around there that early, other than to go have a nice breakfast buffet at the Swisshotel. nishimark would probably know more.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 1:08 am
Original Poster

I wrote ballpark numbers off the top of my head earlier. But I looked it up now and it seems like Haruka takes anywhere between 80-100min on KIX-Kyoto, whereas Nankai's Rapid express takes 38-44min on KIX-Nanba. OP would probably take the 7.27a Haruka which would take 95min.

Hey, I'm really sorry. I didn't see earlier that you're landing at 6.30am. If that's the case, you're probably going to get to Nanba ~8.30am. Most stores won't be open that early. I know Nanba Parks won't be. I don't know what you could do to kill time around there that early, other than to go have a nice breakfast buffet at the Swisshotel. nishimark would probably know more.
Thanks for helping out! That early arrive time is what I was worried about.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 5:05 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Another vote for Kyoto. While big Japanese cities are hectic and fun, I think they get repetitive after a while. Kyoto has more historical sights, and parts of it got the big city scene as well. If you have the opportunity to stay longer in the future, definitely do, and check out Pontocho at night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.