Hiroshima and Osaka food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hiroshima and Osaka food

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Hiroshima and Osaka food

The links below describe some local specialties.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3408.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4022.html

Question: Anything else FT would recommend?

Question 2: Am I kidding myself in terms of anything else special to eat that is less carbohydrate focused? Of course there is seafood...
Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:58 am

Programs: Delta
I recommend browsing Tabelog for your research.
http://tabelog.com/en/osaka/
Bento.com is another.
http://bento.com
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:53 am

Programs: A3,BA
For your vegetarian needs, try negiyaki (with scallions) and okonomiyaki (although I think none of these classify as "vegetarian" )
(ex) Fukutaro

If you like japanese beef, this is a quality and value for money option:
Matasaburo (tabelog)

Tabelog should be your no1 search engine. Don't use tripadvisor/guidebooks.
(tip) in the japanese site, there is an extra category "menu" (メニュー) and the last option is "photos" (写真). You can see photos of menus and a) learn/memorise japanese food names b) see prices and estimate the value for money
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:33 am

As far as Osaka food goes, takoyaki and okonomiyaki are definitely near the top of my list. I can't say much about Hiroshima food, other than osaka style okonomikyaki is better than hiroshima style. Sorry, Hiroshima.

You're absolutely kidding yourself. Japan revolves around rice and noodles. If anything takoyaki and okonomiyaki are probably on the lighter side of the spectrum as far as carbs go. =D

Other than the aforementioned, my favourite food is tonkotsu ramen. Very much a kyushu thing, but some really good restaurants are around Osaka.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:35 pm

Kushiage is another Osaka culinary delight. It's made by deep-frying skewers of meat, seafood and vegetables. No carbs at all, other than the breading. Here are some kushiage restaurants in Osaka.

(Also the previous posting seems to contain a typo; Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki is in fact better than Osaka style. It's pretty much the same, but with an added layer of ramen noodles - how can you go wrong? But you're lucky enough to be able to try them both and compare.)
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:39 pm

Oooo. Yes, +1 for kushiage! =D

Note about okonomiyaki: Osaka style is mixed, Hiroshima style is layered. "Modern" style (モダン焼き) is the one that also has noodles, and can in fact be found all over Osaka/Kansai.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by pdxkankuu
Note about okonomiyaki: Osaka style is mixed, Hiroshima style is layered. "Modern" style (モダン焼き) is the one that also has noodles, and can in fact be found all over Osaka/Kansai.
Thank you, that's good to know! Now I need to investigate!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by lobsterdog
(Also the previous posting seems to contain a typo; Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki is in fact better than Osaka style. It's pretty much the same, but with an added layer of ramen noodles - how can you go wrong? But you're lucky enough to be able to try them both and compare.)
+1000. Hiroshima-style Okonomiyaki is one of my favorite dishes ever. And I've tried Kansai and Tokyo style as well. Now I'm jonesing some.....
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:01 am

If you want to avoid carb in Jpn, it's easy enough. I'm carb-conscious, and I eat very well in Jpn. Just go to the basement deli section of a major dept store... very easy to round up whole bunch of veggies and proteins. RF1 is an excellent, albeit overpriced, deli that's omnipresent... it's all veggies and some protein. Go to shizenshoku (natural food) buffets. Kaiseki meals have very few carbs usually, unless you eat the rice. Restaurant chains like Kani-doraku and Chunagon. Yakitori, hamburg, guratan. Go have curry rice, but eat all the curry and only half the rice.

[/B][/B]
Yeah, Hiroshima-style is the best. There's also monja-yaki, which is like the cousin of okanomiyaki. But it looks like puke.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
Yeah, Hiroshima-style is the best. There's also monja-yaki, which is like the cousin of okanomiyaki. But it looks like puke.
I'm afraid you're incorrect about Hiroshima-style. But you're right about monjayaki. It does look a bit like puke. haha =D

Good points on low-carb alternatives. I also forgot about yakiniku. That would also be a good option if you want to stick with meat and veggies.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Many agree that Hiroshima style okonomiyaki came out before Modern-yaki of Osaka style. Hence, people in Hiroshima say Osaka copied their okonomi yaki.

Hiroshima style is like yakisoba topped with very thin okonomiyaki pancake, where Moden-yaki in Osaka has noodle and batter more mixed compare with Hiroshima style. Personally, I like Hiroshima style. Also, personally I do not like mayo on Okonomiyaki nor Takoyaki.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:51 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Hiroshima? Oysters.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Yes, but OP mentioned on another post that he/she is allergic to shells such as clams and mussels so I did not mention that…
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:15 am

just back from a trip including Hiroshima, and the best meal of our holiday was at Guttsari An outside Hiroshima. It's a pain to get to, but the food and ambience were both excellent, and the fluent English hostess/owner readily guided us on ordering, even providing an impromptu sake flight at the end of our meal. Really reasonable, even factoring in the taxi ride.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Oooo. Yes, +1 for kushiage! =D

I failed at being carb conscious in Japan. I didn't really like the okonomiyaki. If I had to choose, I liked the Hiroshima style. In Osaka, I did think that the yakisoba was well done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.